BAD Dr. Glenn Charles result

Posted (edited)

Here we are talking about Dr. Glenn Charles again who time and time again has charged people top dollar for poor results, (in fact i cant find anyone happy with his work on this board inside of 4 years). Dr Charles called my thinning area on my crown the size of a golf ball.... the purpose of the operation was to get ahead of the balding while it wasn't noticeable yet.....as you can see i had a considerable amount of shock loss after the procedure... what is peculiar is that my 3 week post op (max shock loss) and 18 month post op look nearly identical in the crown... Dr. Charles is calling the a NET EVEN result.... as you can clearly see even from his pre op procedures that is inaccurate... when confronted with this he said my hair is "not bad" the photos speak for themselves....now you might comment that my hairline looked great and why that was touched... well if you look and my hairline before (and after) photos i have a small divot in the center about half a nickel.... this was the ENTIRE reason for the front.... you may also notice Dr. Charles went COMPLETLEY behind this area not putting a single graft in it..... imagine paying $16k for circa 2100+ grafts.... and nearly 2 years later having less hair AND him not even filling the spot that was the entire purpose of the hairline surgery.

Now Dr. Charles (not admitting any fault) is willing to do another surgery at ANY size graft to make me happy... i admit that is very gracious of him... but given my personal experience and the experience of everyone else's results from him on this board i cannot in good faith let him touch a single one of my donor hairs... Dr. Charles is clearly doing something wrong with his practice both given his results and his ethics and giving him this platform to help him push his business onto new victims spending their hard earned money on an EXPENSIVE and uncomfortable procedure (physically and visually) is doing a disservice to you the members of this board... furthermore it is my personal opinion amongst many others who see his work think he's over stating the graft count which would be REALLY BAD, but this is very difficult to prove.  

An interesting conversation was that at first according to dr charles it was my body's fault for the poor result.... then when he looked at my hair under the loops he said the surgery was successful and the damage was done by my weak surrounding hairs... to that i said okay... but shouldn't i still have better coverage at month 18 vs week 3? He has danced around that point always refusing to answer it head on. I feel like no matter what its the patients fault with him and i, amongst others are getting gas lighted by him... ARE MAGNIFYING LOOPS NEEDED TO TELL THE RESULT OF A GOOD SURGERY!?!?!

Dr. Charles has since offered a partial refund in return for my silence on this board/online but it wasn't enough to fix the damage he's caused so i cannot in good faith take the money and let innocent people be steered in the wrong direction and continue to be blamed.

I'm sorry some pictures arent clearer i tried my best to provide accurate similar before and after photos but i believe the result is so bad that u don't have to look throu

I'm going to guess Dr. Charles pays to be part of this board as a recommended surgeon which is why he is still recommended after countless poor results. 

I invite @Dr. Glenn Charles to defend himself as I believe that is only fair. 

Thank you.

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6685.jpg

IMG_6712.PNG

IMG_6904.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

Edited by Stavros
wanted to tag dr. charles and give him a chance to defend himself publicly

• Stavros changed the title to BAD Dr. Glenn Charles result

the crown is notorious for being a super difficult spot to fill in. It is often called a "black hole" for grafts because it takes sooooooo much more than what you visually suspect, mainly due to the curvature of the crown. 

Additionally, even with meds, crown hairloss can often reveal itself much later in life than hairline recession does. So many doctors are hesitant to go "all-in" on the crown because if you lose more crown hair in later years you could be in trouble. 

Pretty much any competent doctor who actually cares about your graft count and donor availability is going to put as low a priority as possible on your crown. The crown always comes last, or not even at all. Even with a badly balding crown, many observers will not notice it unless they are right behind you and/or super tall. 

I say you need 2 more crown surgeries, or use concealer, or learn to be at peace with your crown. 

4 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

the crown is notorious for being a super difficult spot to fill in. It is often called a "black hole" for grafts because it takes sooooooo much more than what you visually suspect, mainly due to the curvature of the crown. 

Additionally, even with meds, crown hairloss can often reveal itself much later in life than hairline recession does. So many doctors are hesitant to go "all-in" on the crown because if you lose more crown hair in later years you could be in trouble. 

Pretty much any competent doctor who actually cares about your graft count and donor availability is going to put as low a priority as possible on your crown. The crown always comes last, or not even at all. Even with a badly balding crown, many observers will not notice it unless they are right behind you and/or super tall. 

I say you need 2 more crown surgeries, or use concealer, or learn to be at peace with your crown. 

Can you explain why my crown looks the same at 18 months and 3 weeks? And can you also explain why he completely missed the spot on my hairline which was the whole point of my hairline?  I’ve also seen absolutely INCREDIBLE results on similar thinning in one surgery with 2-3k grafts…. Why would you think 2-3 surgeries which would be 6-9k grafts which I’ve seen cover almost completely bald individuals? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chetman2112 said:

Dr Charles should not be recommended by this forum, he’s a dinosaur in the HT industry! Good luck in the future and sorry you have to go the this! 

Thank you man… it’s been frustrating to say the least… 

1 hour ago, Stavros said:

Can you explain why my crown looks the same at 18 months and 3 weeks?

the doctor did not dense fill in your crown at all. It looks like he should have used 4x the amount if grafts.

Even if your first HT did indeed have amazing growth, I'm almost certain you would need a 2nd surgery if you were looking for complete density. 

Instead, I'd say you need at least 2 more, if you want the crown to be fully filled in, bc this 1st one was so inefficient. 

Just be grateful your surgery was not botched and did not leave you looking worse and/or unnatural. A botched result is 100x worse than simply having poor to no growth. 

Have you ever put concealer on your crown? It actually is a super low maintenance way you conceal baldness back there. You do have to have some decent hair remaining back there so the concealer will camouflage itself, it looks like you do. 

My recommendation is to start using concealer if your crown really bothers you. And also start consulting with doctors who will work on your crown. 

IMG_6712.PNG.7ccfa58da086afa9bacac93a1bb36714.thumb.png.ab000429f7552af358de147df29f1f3f.png

I can totally understand your frustration…especially with the hairline issue. If the while point was to fill in a specific empty spot, why was it left untouched? 

Sorry if i missed it in your post but are you (and were you) on any medications pre/post HT

• Like 1

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

• Valued Contributor

Could you kindly provide the total number of grafts on the crown area?

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

7 hours ago, YodaHead said:

I can totally understand your frustration…especially with the hairline issue. If the while point was to fill in a specific empty spot, why was it left untouched? 

Sorry if i missed it in your post but are you (and were you) on any medications pre/post HT

Topical minoxidil and fin

3 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

Could you kindly provide the total number of grafts on the crown area?

Unsure, can’t get a clear answer from him… he’s tagged so maybe he can tell us… in total it was somewhere between 2100-2200… but not only did I see no improvement with that many grafts I saw the opposite… I have my suspicions about graft count as well

• Valued Contributor
Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Stavros said:

Unsure, can’t get a clear answer from him… he’s tagged so maybe he can tell us… in total it was somewhere between 2100-2200… but not only did I see no improvement with that many grafts I saw the opposite… I have my suspicions about graft count as well

So if the total is 2100-2200 than your doctor would have implanted approximately 1,000 grafts, which is minimal for the crown area.

Given that hair loss is progressive, you may have experienced further hair loss in that region, making it difficult to conclude that the implanted grafts didn't grow at all.

However, I do agree with you regarding the work on your hairline; the doctor should have addressed it more effectively, particularly filling in that gap.

You must understand that doctors typically do not offer refunds. Instead, they might provide a free follow-up session, as your doctor already mentioned. If you no longer trust him, you can seek treatment from another doctor, but it's unlikely that you will receive a refund. It's rare for any doctor to agree to a refund.

Edited by A_4_Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

7 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

So if the total is 2100-2200 than your doctor would have implanted approximately 1,000 grafts, which is minimal for the crown area.

Given that hair loss is progressive, you may have experienced further hair loss in that region, making it difficult to conclude that the implanted grafts didn't grow at all.

However, I do agree with you regarding the work on your hairline; the doctor should have addressed it more effectively, particularly filling in that gap.

You must understand that doctors typically do not offer refunds. Instead, they might provide a free follow-up session, as your doctor already mentioned. If you no longer trust him, you can seek treatment from another doctor, but it's unlikely that you will receive a refund. It's rare for any doctor to agree to a refund.

So you would expect my crown to look the same at the maximum shock loss period (3 weeks) and the maximum growth period for the crown (18 months)?  The measure of success for a hair transplant requires a microscope?  He offered a % refund or a free repeat procedure… after seeing my (lack of) results with nearly 2200 grafts and others having identical experiences I felt I would be crazy for him to touch another 2000 donor grafts … eventually Dr Charles would have to buy me a wig with his graft success rate 

This is a really bad result in the crown... and to miss an entire part of the hairline? this is actually starting to get scary... I'm having similar issues at the 11 month mark and he as you said "gas lighted" me and said that it was somehow my fault that the result isn't better... he seems like such a nice guy... $15k down the drain for me.  To the people defending Dr. Charles... please show me other doctors that have these poor results this consistently? I wonder what he's doing wrong

4 hours ago, WolfCE said:

This is a really bad result in the crown... and to miss an entire part of the hairline? this is actually starting to get scary... I'm having similar issues at the 11 month mark and he as you said "gas lighted" me and said that it was somehow my fault that the result isn't better... he seems like such a nice guy... $15k down the drain for me.  To the people defending Dr. Charles... please show me other doctors that have these poor results this consistently? I wonder what he's doing wrong

Man I saw the number he did on you…. At this point i feel there are enough of us to start a class action against this guy 

4 hours ago, WolfCE said:

To the people defending Dr. Charles... please show me other doctors that have these poor results this consistently? I wonder what he's doing wrong

Lol literally every doctor on this site has multiple examples of poor surgeries, even the "elite surgeons"

Going to a good doctor increases your chances of success, but absolutely is not a guarantee at all. There is always risk. 

I dont want to name names, but use the search bar for the well known docs, and you will see some bad results. 

Hair transplants are an incredibly hard procedure to get right. 

Posted (edited)

I feel there has been enough questions raised recently on Dr. Charles including in the post below. 

One generic concern is the gap in the grafts claimed to have been used vs. actual.

I am wondering if the board members think it is time to review/reevaluate this doc? No?

Edited by YodaHead
  • Like 1

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

27 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Lol literally every doctor on this site has multiple examples of poor surgeries, even the "elite surgeons"

Going to a good doctor increases your chances of success, but absolutely is not a guarantee at all. There is always risk. 

I dont want to name names, but use the search bar for the well known docs, and you will see some bad results. 

Hair transplants are an incredibly hard procedure to get right. 

So given all the results good and bad from Dr Charles, you would go to him yourself or recommend him to a friend or family member? 

20 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

the doctor did not dense fill in your crown at all. It looks like he should have used 4x the amount if grafts.

Even if your first HT did indeed have amazing growth, I'm almost certain you would need a 2nd surgery if you were looking for complete density. 

Instead, I'd say you need at least 2 more, if you want the crown to be fully filled in, bc this 1st one was so inefficient. 

Just be grateful your surgery was not botched and did not leave you looking worse and/or unnatural. A botched result is 100x worse than simply having poor to no growth. 

Have you ever put concealer on your crown? It actually is a super low maintenance way you conceal baldness back there. You do have to have some decent hair remaining back there so the concealer will camouflage itself, it looks like you do. 

My recommendation is to start using concealer if your crown really bothers you. And also start consulting with doctors who will work on your crown. 

20 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

IMG_6712.PNG.7ccfa58da086afa9bacac93a1bb36714.thumb.png.ab000429f7552af358de147df29f1f3f.png

Upon second review you bring up an extremely interesting point! As Dr Charles claims approximately 1000 grafts went into my crown… so your suggestion is 4000 grafts for my crown that isn’t even bald?  Or are u saying maybe he lied about the graft count?

3 hours ago, Stavros said:

So given all the results good and bad from Dr Charles, you would go to him yourself or recommend him to a friend or family member? 

No, bc at best Dr. Charles is a mediocre doctor. 

I would go to a better doctor to increase my chances of success. But even then its a risk, this is a very difficult surgery. 

2 hours ago, Stavros said:

Upon second review you bring up an extremely interesting point! As Dr Charles claims approximately 1000 grafts went into my crown… so your suggestion is 4000 grafts for my crown that isn’t even bald?  Or are u saying maybe he lied about the graft count?

The crown needs ALOT of grafts. It needs many many more grafts than you would think.

How the crown is positioned on your skull vs your hairline, the crown needs many many more grafts than the hairline in order to have that "illusion" of density

As ive already said, doctors always place crown work last. 

Doctors hate crown work. It is impossible for anyone with significant crown recession to be a 1 and done surgery

Just for reference, if someone with bad crown balding told me they needed 2, 3, or even 4 surgeries to be 100% satisfied, I would not blink twice.

Welcome to hair transplant world. 

Please use the search bar and search other crown cases. 

I think you need more perspective and better understand the reality of hair transplants and that it is a marathon not a sprint. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

No, bc at best Dr. Charles is a mediocre doctor. 

I would go to a better doctor to increase my chances of success. But even then its a risk, this is a very difficult surgery. 

The crown needs ALOT of grafts. It needs many many more grafts than you would think.

How the crown is positioned on your skull vs your hairline, the crown needs many many more grafts than the hairline in order to have that "illusion" of density

As ive already said, doctors always place crown work last. 

Doctors hate crown work. It is impossible for anyone with significant crown recession to be a 1 and done surgery

Just for reference, if someone with bad crown balding told me they needed 2, 3, or even 4 surgeries to be 100% satisfied, I would not blink twice.

Welcome to hair transplant world. 

Please use the search bar and search other crown cases. 

I think you need more perspective and better understand the reality of hair transplants and that it is a marathon not a sprint. 

I think this over the top extreme fear mongering. 

being on medical stabilization there is no reason you shouldnt be able to get great results from one surgery. 

the only thing I would strongly recommend is shaving for the surgery.  Allowing the surgeons clear surgical view allows him to give you the best result possible. Anyone else that tells you anything different is being deceptive. 

Edited by shiba1985

18 hours ago, shiba1985 said:

I think this over the top extreme fear mongering. 

being on medical stabilization there is no reason you shouldnt be able to get great results from one surgery. 

have you had a hair transplant yourself, or where is your opinion coming from?

17 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

have you had a hair transplant yourself, or where is your opinion coming from?

God forbid anyone have a difference of opinion… literally everyone else on this thread doesn’t agree with your opinion.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stavros said:

God forbid anyone have a difference of opinion… literally everyone else on this thread doesn’t agree with your opinion.

whatever man. I really don't care about your hair transplant results one way or the other - especially with your attitude.

Thanks for posting your bad hair transplant so the community can learn from your mistakes and not follow in your footsteps. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

4 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

whatever man. I really don't care about your hair transplant results one way or the other - especially with your attitude.

Thanks for posting your bad hair transplant so the community can learn from your mistakes and not follow in your footsteps. 

Weren’t u defending Dr Charles the entire time… now it’s a bad hair transplant? You’re weird