Can you please let me know your opinion about my hair transplant, please? I have doubts...

Hi everyone, 

I had my first hair transplant in 2020. It went well I believe. My hairline looks good, and I am satisfied with the results. Then I had my second hair transplant in 2021. Expectations were not met. Specially, since I had some residual natural hair in the middle of my scalp. I thought that it would be a matter of taking advantage of it and just fill up the empty spaces. I still feel underwhelmed about the results. I was hoping to have my hair completely restored, as I have seen others that have had hair transplants twice. I am not unhappy, but I spent a lot of money for both transplants. Before I was bald. Now I feel that I look like a guy who is balding. Were my expectations unrealistic or could my H.T. have had better results__ Can anyone please let me know your opinion? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks for your time. 

Before 1st H.T..jpg

Day of 1st H.T..jpg

After 1st H.T.jpg

Before 2nd H.T. Natural Hair.jpg

Second H.T. before surgery..jpg

Secon H.T. after procedure..jpg

2 years after two H.T.II.jpg

After 2nd H.T. Two years later..jpg

After 2nd H.T. Year Later..jpg

After 2nd H.T. Yer Later II.jpg

2 Years After.jpg

Please share the names of the clinics and surgeons involved.

• Like 1

🧑🏽‍⚕️ Help others by naming your clinic and surgeon, in your post title if possible.

💊 Help yourself by directing medical questions to medical professionals. No one here can safely provide medical advice like your primary care physician.

💬 Help the forum by adding a Like or other reaction to an existing comment before repeating what others have already said.

In my opinion what is transplanted in the crown is not enough to give you a cosmetic boost since you have fine hair. You simply need a lot more transplanted hair. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sweveney said:

Were my expectations unrealistic or could my H.T. have had better results__ Can anyone please let me know your opinion?

My opinion (sorry - but it is brutal):
- version number 1 => "Did you have a HT?"
- version number 2 => "WTF is that?"

And I hope @sweveney you will finally find the right solution to solve your current situation :)

Edited by baldDick666
a typo
  • Face Palm 1

• Valued Contributor

The thing with the crown is that it is simply a huge area to cover on it's own. The way that the hair is angled in the crown means it will always need more grafts than any other area of the scalp. If you have the donor capacity then you may be able to have a third pass to give the illusion of more density/coverage. If you do though I would really research patient results who have a silmilar hair loss pattern as yours with results that you are trying to obtain. I'm not a doctor but I would also consider taking finasteride to protect your hair. All the best!

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your straightforward estimation of the quality of my hair transplant. I appreciate it, as I thought I was being unrealistic. But I now know that all along I was right in my disappointment. Just to clarify, Pic 1= before first transplant. Pic 2= Immediately after first transplant. Pic 3= one year after first transplant. Pic 5= day of my second H.T. Pic 6=Immediately after second transplant. The rest of the pictures were taken two years after second H.T.  Please allow me to take this night to calm down before sharing tomorrow morning Dr's name, total cost and more details. I am so discouraged. I wonder if I have still enough donor area for a revision. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SuperC said:

Please share the names of the clinics and surgeons involved.

Dr Bloxham. Feller and Bloxham Medical. Great Neck, New York. 

20 hours ago, davidn said:

And how many grafts 

First hair transplant 2,500-2,700 graphs. Second hair transplant 1,100-1250, for a total of 3,600 – 3,950 hair graphs. 

12 hours ago, YodaHead said:

How many total grafts were used?
Were all hair taken from the head donor?

Total of 3,600 – 3,950 hair graphs. All hair was taken from the back of my head. 

18 hours ago, FormerFutureKrillin said:

OP, was this with Dr Bloxham? Frontal surgery looks very similar to his work.

Yes, you are correct. It is Dr Bloxham. How did you guess? Do other clients share my same experience with this doctor?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sweveney said:

Dr Bloxham. Feller and Bloxham Medical. Great Neck, New York. 

First hair transplant 2,500-2,700 graphs. Second hair transplant 1,100-1250, for a total of 3,600 – 3,950 hair graphs. 

Total of 3,600 – 3,950 hair graphs. All hair was taken from the back of my head. 

Yes, you are correct. It is Dr Bloxham. How did you guess? Do other clients share my same experience with this doctor?

He guessed cause each doctor's work is like a signature. Every one had their own unique style and after a while you start to recognize patterns. Your pattern of implant is similar to other bloxham patients. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, once again thank you for sharing your straightforward thoughts about my hair transplant Journey. It is in fact Dr Bloxham and his team who performed both my first and second H.T.

Let me correct the dates. My first H.T. was in July 15, 2024 (two years ago today) and the second one March 15 2023 (a year and 4 months since). I have waited two years since my first procedure and one year since my second to see the outcome. I am underwhelmed with the result and concerned about the quality of both procedures. I don’t see baby hair popping up as if I am in a permanent telogen phase. Does this mean that I can lose again all my hair? Should I start finasteride?

I was satisfied with the first procedure. My hairline looks natural enough (I believe) and my bang had good hair density. So, I proceeded to have my second H.T. with Dr Bloxham. But, the very same day of my second transplant I felt that the time they spent in the procedure was less than the time spent on the first one.

Before I say anything else I want to make clear that I had a wonderful, strong, healthy and abundant donor area.

For my first hair transplant I paid for 2,500-2,700 graphs, and for my second transplant I paid for 1,100-1250, (for a total of 3,600 – 3,950 hair graphs) , which now I understand means that I received more grafts the first time than the second, and at that moment I though it didn’t make much sense. I made clear to Dr Bloxham and his secretary that I was willing to pay as much as needed in my second transplant to achieve a successful and satisfying overall outcome.

In fairness to Dr Bloxham, he explains somewhere in his website another of his client’s outcome, stating that “Physicians and their teams tailor procedures to maximize the available donor area”. Not my case. My donor area was and perhaps still is optimal. He continues saying that:

Case Example: The patient in the “Before” photo had a large, round bald crown. Due to a suboptimal donor area, the team used grafts strategically to minimize the baldness.

Improvement: The “After” photo shows a less obvious bald crown, even though the density is lower than typical results.

Options: The patient can either undergo another surgery to thicken the crown or keep the grafts for potential future use”.

Having in mind that I had two hair transplants for a total of 3,600 – 3,950 hair graphs, is his former statement something that resonates with any of you guys? Is this a rule of thumb? Am I being unrealistic? What’s your take on this? I want to be fair before I continue to share my experience. Also, I have seen the results of different doctors and their patients who resemble my case, and they did achieve perfect coverage of their crown.

Maybe Dr Bloxham is good at creating a new hairline (check pic below please let me know) but in general could do much better with the crown?

What should I do now guys? I have zero hope that talking with Dr Bloxham would be in any capacity productive, as I have read his communications with the other two clients. Also, according to the paperwork I signed I am legally bound to endure without complaining about the results. Am I at risk of losing my hair (and money again)? Can anyone advise me what doctor I can go to for a revision?

hairlinee.jpg

8 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

He guessed cause each doctor's work is like a signature. Every one had their own unique style and after a while you start to recognize patterns. Your pattern of implant is similar to other bloxham patients. 

Is that good or not so good?

5 minutes ago, sweveney said:

Hi guys, once again thank you for sharing your straightforward thoughts about my hair transplant Journey. It is in fact Dr Bloxham and his team who performed both my first and second H.T.

Let me correct the dates. My first H.T. was in July 15, 2024 (two years ago today) and the second one March 15 2023 (a year and 4 months since). I have waited two years since my first procedure and one year since my second to see the outcome. I am underwhelmed with the result and concerned about the quality of both procedures. I don’t see baby hair popping up as if I am in a permanent telogen phase. Does this mean that I can lose again all my hair? Should I start finasteride?

I was satisfied with the first procedure. My hairline looks natural enough (I believe) and my bang had good hair density. So, I proceeded to have my second H.T. with Dr Bloxham. But, the very same day of my second transplant I felt that the time they spent in the procedure was less than the time spent on the first one.

Before I say anything else I want to make clear that I had a wonderful, strong, healthy and abundant donor area.

For my first hair transplant I paid for 2,500-2,700 graphs, and for my second transplant I paid for 1,100-1250, (for a total of 3,600 – 3,950 hair graphs) , which now I understand means that I received more grafts the first time than the second, and at that moment I though it didn’t make much sense. I made clear to Dr Bloxham and his secretary that I was willing to pay as much as needed in my second transplant to achieve a successful and satisfying overall outcome.

In fairness to Dr Bloxham, he explains somewhere in his website another of his client’s outcome, stating that “Physicians and their teams tailor procedures to maximize the available donor area”. Not my case. My donor area was and perhaps still is optimal. He continues saying that:

Case Example: The patient in the “Before” photo had a large, round bald crown. Due to a suboptimal donor area, the team used grafts strategically to minimize the baldness.

Improvement: The “After” photo shows a less obvious bald crown, even though the density is lower than typical results.

Options: The patient can either undergo another surgery to thicken the crown or keep the grafts for potential future use”.

Having in mind that I had two hair transplants for a total of 3,600 – 3,950 hair graphs, is his former statement something that resonates with any of you guys? Is this a rule of thumb? Am I being unrealistic? What’s your take on this? I want to be fair before I continue to share my experience. Also, I have seen the results of different doctors and their patients who resemble my case, and they did achieve perfect coverage of their crown.

Maybe Dr Bloxham is good at creating a new hairline (check pic below please let me know) but in general could do much better with the crown?

What should I do now guys? I have zero hope that talking with Dr Bloxham would be in any capacity productive, as I have read his communications with the other two clients. Also, according to the paperwork I signed I am legally bound to endure without complaining about the results. Am I at risk of losing my hair (and money again)? Can anyone advise me what doctor I can go to for a revision?

hairlinee.jpg

I agree, the hairline looks decent.  There has to be a reason why he did such a small procedure for the crown. If you have a good donor supply, I’m guessing you probably had limited scalp laxity, limiting the strip. That total amount of grafts is enough to cover about half of a scalp with passable density.  You generally need about double that to get full cover.  I don’t think you need a “Repair”….. just a lot more grafts. On the plus side also is that if both were FUT, you should have a good area left for some FUE.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

Yep, I have seen enough times to recognize the work. But also because I was a Bloxham patient myself. I also wound up needing a repair.

@sweveney, I am sorry you are in this situation. The growth looks underwhelming and the amount of grafts used in the back half was clearly not enough. Has Dr. Bloxham said anything to you your results? I find it hard to believe he could at all be happy with the growth here.

5 minutes ago, sweveney said:

Also, according to the paperwork I signed I am legally bound to endure without complaining about the results.

Could you clarify this? I don't recall having to sign anything that said you aren’t allowed to complain about the results.

2 minutes ago, JoeD said:

I agree, the hairline looks decent.  There has to be a reason why he did such a small procedure for the crown. If you have a good donor supply, I’m guessing you probably had limited scalp laxity, limiting the strip. That total amount of grafts is enough to cover about half of a scalp with passable density.  You generally need about double that to get full cover.  I don’t think you need a “Repair”….. just a lot more grafts. On the plus side also is that if both were FUT, you should have a good area left for some FUE.  

For 2500-2700 grafts I think the growth should have been better in the frontal third, but agree it looks natural.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FormerFutureKrillin said:

Yep, I have seen enough times to recognize the work. But also because I was a Bloxham patient myself. I also wound up needing a repair.

@sweveney, I am sorry you are in this situation. The growth looks underwhelming and the amount of grafts used in the back half was clearly not enough. Has Dr. Bloxham said anything to you your results? I find it hard to believe he could at all be happy with the growth here.

Could you clarify this? I don't recall having to sign anything that said you aren’t allowed to complain about the results.

The paperwork I signed clarifies that I should be careful as to how to frame any complain/feedback in a way that could not be taken as discrediting or misrepresenting the provider of the service, which I believe is fair.

I made an appointment recently to see him, but I realized that first I needed to ask others their opinion, like in this network, with more experience and knowledge about this subject, to be sure that my dissatisfaction is justified. I missed the appointment, but I sent Stephanie an apology, and had zero response from them. Which in a way, clearly indicates as to how interested they are in a follow up. And man, I am so discouraged. I don’t believe that he would care. However, I’ll try and see if I can ask for a follow-up again.

May I ask, as a Bloxham patient, how did you go about getting a repair? Did he provide reduced pricing? Many thanks for your input.

16 minutes ago, sweveney said:

The paperwork I signed clarifies that I should be careful as to how to frame any complain/feedback in a way that could not be taken as discrediting or misrepresenting the provider of the service, which I believe is fair.

I made an appointment recently to see him, but I realized that first I needed to ask others their opinion, like in this network, with more experience and knowledge about this subject, to be sure that my dissatisfaction is justified. I missed the appointment, but I sent Stephanie an apology, and had zero response from them. Which in a way, clearly indicates as to how interested they are in a follow up. And man, I am so discouraged. I don’t believe that he would care. However, I’ll try and see if I can ask for a follow-up again.

May I ask, as a Bloxham patient, how did you go about getting a repair? Did he provide reduced pricing? Many thanks for your input.

@sweveney I am currently undergoing a repair with a different doctor, you can click on my profile to see my original surgery and current status.

I think it is a good idea to speak with Dr. Bloxham about your concerns, calmly and clearly, and see what he says. Then you can decide what to do next based on that conversation.

Interesting re: the paperwork. I don’t really remember anything like that but perhaps others do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sweveney said:

As a busy healthcare professional, I don’t think it’s surprising at all to not get a response from an email where you were apologizing for missing an appointment….. 

If you were asking them a question that necessitates a reply, and no response within a reasonable timeframe….. I would just CC Bloxham on the reply follow up email

3 hours ago, sweveney said:

Jeeeeesus Christ ....
You must have a nice party there in the US with those doctors :D
It is really ... reeeeeeeally a different world ...

Signing a paper not allowing you to call that sh.t by name :(
It's not a sh.t ... It's a chocolate :D

Anyway as I said => take care man and good luck :)

• Like 1