Dr Glenn Charles failed transplant opinion?

Posted (edited)

Got a hair transplant about 11 months ago from Dr. Glenn Charles in Boca Raton. Was really nervous about the process so decided to pay more money($15,000) and stay local. I did research and Dr. Charles was well regarded so decided to go with him. 2000 grafts around hairline. Not sure how I feel about the progress, especially after seeing other people with what seems like more progress from other doctors and a ton of bad reviews about dr. Charles and short changing grafts and poor graft survival rate. 

A lot of my research was predicated on the recomendations of this site but i feel as though i've been let down.

What do you think?

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

Edited by WolfCE
forgot something
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, RazersEdge said:

Sorry brother this is a bad result. This doctor needs to be removed from this site asap. 

thanks... not sure what to do from here... dr charles is telling me to give it more time and says its probably my body causing slow growth... i dont really trust him to do a touch up given how bad this turned out.

51 minutes ago, WolfCE said:

Got a hair transplant about 11 months ago from Dr. Glenn Charles in Boca Raton. Was really nervous about the process so decided to pay more money($15,000) and stay local. I did research and Dr. Charles was well regarded so decided to go with him. 2000 grafts around hairline. Not sure how I feel about the progress, especially after seeing other people with what seems like more progress from other doctors and a ton of bad reviews about dr. Charles and short changing grafts and poor graft survival rate. 

A lot of my research was predicated on the recomendations of this site but i feel as though i've been let down.

What do you think?

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

That doesn’t look 2000 grafts

4 minutes ago, Ajamilo said:

That doesn’t look 2000 grafts

I've been told that... and it seems to be an ongoing issue with Dr. Glenn Charles

I'm confused... i see so many people slamming dr glenn charles and others defending him.. is he doing something wrong or is the bad result my body's fault?

3 minutes ago, RajSharma99 said:

From which angle it looks like 2000 grafts?? Its not more than 800 in any case....

so why does this forum recomend him?

Man I was just on Dr Charles’ instagram…. “Dr. Charles  prides himself in undetectable hair transplant results”… well he knocked it out of the park with that one… no one will ever know you got a hair transplant considering how poor the results are 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

This is weird. Meaby @Melvin- Admincan look at this case 

IMG_0127.png

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. @WolfCE I have sent you a message. I need to gather your information and give it to Dr. Charles for his response. That said, the result is underwhelming. 

I removed a comment claiming that we don't remove surgeons who pay. This isn't true at all. We have a board of senior valued contributors to the forum who review a doctor's body of work, both good and bad, to ensure we approve and remove doctors when appropriate. We take these concerns very seriously. I will need to gather more information from this patient and hear what Dr. Charles says about this case. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2024 at 7:06 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. @WolfCE I have sent you a message. I need to gather your information and give it to Dr. Charles for his response. That said, the result is underwhelming. 

I removed a comment claiming that we don't remove surgeons who pay. This isn't true at all. We have a board of senior valued contributors to the forum who review a doctor's body of work, both good and bad, to ensure we approve and remove doctors when appropriate. We take these concerns very seriously. I will need to gather more information from this patient and hear what Dr. Charles says about this case. 

Is he responsive to all these cases? My family member also had it done with Glenn Charles at the same time and it’s a similar result. I have those pictures to also prove it but I don’t want to share without their consent. 

In either case, this is far more systematic than I originally thought. Maybe he doesn’t give lots of credence to this forum so he might not care much. I suspect Google Reviews will be more powerful to get the message across that something is wrong here

On 7/15/2024 at 12:41 PM, WolfCE said:

so why does this forum recomend him?

Because he pays the owners of the forum to get on that list. I can't think of anyone in the amazing HRN community who recommends him. By the moderator's own admission, the decision on who goes on the "recommended list" is made by him and Pat.

Ultimately, yes the final decision is made by Pat and I.

If you look at doctors on that list or comments on threads when questionable doctors are included despite reservations by the community, it is clear that the bar is very low and feedback from community is minimal or none at all. 

If you want to know how credible the recommended list is or how diligent the owner's of the forum are in removing bad doctors, then I should ask them to refer to the Di*p fiasco.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, 4chanhrn said:

Because he pays the owners of the forum to get on that list. I can't think of anyone in the amazing HRN community who recommends him. By the moderator's own admission, the decision on who goes on the "recommended list" is made by him and Pat.

If you look at doctors on that list or comments on threads when questionable doctors are included despite reservations by the community, it is clear that the bar is very low and feedback from community is minimal or none at all. 

If you want to know how credible the recommended list is or how diligent the owner's of the forum are in removing bad doctors, then I should ask them to refer to the Di*p fiasco.

This is not true. We have a board of valued contributors @Berba11 @Gatsby @Steeeve @A_4_Archan they will attest that we have been in discussions and we are evaluating the situation. That said, we have to allow the surgeon to respond to each and every issue/concern before making a decision. We cannot act on impulse. 

You’re drinking the kool-aid spewed on Reddit, which is run by a hair transplant middleman who doesn’t disclose his financial interests. The other is a grandiose, egotistical, sanctimonious, deranged, obsessive, and unhinged digital marketer who hides under the pseudonym Wallaby, he will report anyone who questions him or his authority to Reddit to get them banned. 

We have never hidden the fact that we have physician sponsors. This keeps the forum free for members and free from pop-ups and advertisements. In my opinion, its the best win-win business model. We promote surgeons that do good work, and in turn they sponsor us to keep it going. We have removed SEVERAL surgeons in the past because they no longer met our standards. We don’t announce it publicly, but you will see our list has changed throughout the years .

We have never and will never keep a surgeon just because they sponsor us, this is misinformation. Our valued contributors are all unpaid volunteers, so there are no financial conflicts. They assist us in making the decisions on whether to add or remove a surgeon. Pat and I, do not make the sole decision.

You can view the new process here:

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

This is not true. We have a board of valued contributors @Berba11 @Gatsby @Steeeve @A_4_Archan they will attest that we have been in discussions and we are evaluating the situation. That said, we have to allow the surgeon to respond to each and every issue/concern before making a decision. We cannot act on impulse. 

You’re drinking the kool-aid spewed on Reddit, which is run by a hair transplant middleman who doesn’t disclose his financial interests. The other is a grandiose, egotistical, sanctimonious, deranged, obsessive, and unhinged digital marketer who hides under the pseudonym Wallaby, he will report anyone who questions him or his authority to Reddit to get them banned. 

We have never hidden the fact that we have physician sponsors. This keeps the forum free for members and free from pop-ups and advertisements. In my opinion, its the best win-win business model. We promote surgeons that do good work, and in turn they sponsor us to keep it going. We have removed SEVERAL surgeons in the past because they no longer met our standards. We don’t announce it publicly, but you will see our list has changed throughout the years .

We have never and will never keep a surgeon just because they sponsor us, this is misinformation. Our valued contributors are all unpaid volunteers, so there are no financial conflicts. They assist us in making the decisions on whether to add or remove a surgeon. Pat and I, do not make the sole decision.

Dr Charles isn’t honest in his defenses of himself and just tries to blame the patient and acts as if he knows everything and the patient is stupid…. Anyone can see his comparable graft counts don’t look like reputable doctors. Dr Charles plays us for stupid and says it’s because he doubles them up for density yet I don’t think we’ve ever seen him achieve anywhere near the density good doctors get… I mean look at this poor guy who started the thread… Dr Charles yet again blamed the patients body for “slow growth” yet you can clearly see the graft placement and density is very subpar.  There are no legitimate excuses for the level of bad results from this doctor….. also I think we would all rather have a pop up banner rather than spend our hard earned money on a paid for recommended doctor that continually provides poor results

Edited by Stavros

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

We have never hidden the fact that we have physician sponsors. This keeps the forum free for members and free from pop-ups and advertisements. In my opinion, its the best win-win business model

I don't have any stake in fight between you and Reddit, nor do I want to tell you how to run your business. For what it's worth I find this forum and community to be an invaluable resource so I continue to post here. My only concern here is that there are far too many newbies who trust the recommended list and end up getting botched. This can very easily be prevented if you follow your own guidelines that you linked and stop adding questionable doctors to that list. As you may know, a bad HT can be extremely difficult and expensive to correct and can mentally scar someone for a very long time, especially if the patient is young. This is very easily preventable and can be fixed if you want it to.

9 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

This is not true. We have a board of valued contributors @Berba11 @Gatsby @Steeeve @A_4_Archan they will attest that we have been in discussions and we are evaluating the situation.  

I wonder if any of them would recommend Charles, especially after recent poor results. When I search "Glenn Charles" in the search bar on this forum, I can see a sea of terrible results and I'm struggling to find a single decent looking result. What does that tell you about your process?

Without having to name names can you enlighten me why you add or continue to "recommend" doctors which:

1. Violate your own guidelines that you linked above by demonstrating low surgical involvement, ethics and/or patient satisfaction.
2. Have doctors with zero full patient posted journeys on this forum.

The community has raised these concerns with you multiple times, but I'm not sure you care enough to listen to these concerns.

Edited by 4chanhrn

• Valued Contributor

As a board we have had many discussions about what's happening with this particular doctor. There is a plan in place. The doctor has asked that he be allowed to respond to each of the patient’s cases. There is no reason not to allow him to do that. After that we will discuss further and I am confident that an announcement will be made shortly.

We all have our feelings about this. Seeing as all members are encouraged to speak freely I don't think anyone would begrudge anyone else for doing so. 

@WolfCE I really am sorry to see your results. It's clear to see that this is a subpar result, to say the least. Encourage other members to follow their gut when choosing a doctor. Let new members know your true feelings. That is what we all do. That is what makes the HRSN so special. Discussion. Not everyone agrees with each other but everyone states their opinion and discussions are had.

I would also encourage everyone to really think about their responses before posting about other members. Please remain respectful. To suggest that a moderator doesn't care about the well being of any member here is wrong. Melvin and Al work hard behind the scenes to go between both patients and doctors for whatever reason there needs to be a go between. They're not doing it for the money. Trust. What they make from the forum is essentially peanuts to an elephant in a circus. They do it because they care about the well being of the people on this forum. Gatsby, Al, and Melvin are all repair patients. They have spent the better part of their lives trying to achieve their own personal hair goals while simultaneously helping other members work to reach theirs.

The removal of a doctor is delicate. How many patients does the doctor see in a year? How many of those patients are coming on with bad results? Do these numbers align with our guidelines? That is just the tip of the iceberg. We take this extremely seriously. We, the board, see the same results as everyone else here, however, we must remain level headed and investigate. It's easy to pull out the torches and pitchforks to go storm the castle. We must remain stoic to make the best decision for you guys.

Please trust that we have your best interest at heart. None of us want to see a bad patient result. It's heartbreaking. It's already so stressful even when your journey is going well. When it fails, though… The money. The time. The finite grafts. The idea that “everyone can see me” in this state. It's heartbreaking to see others go through it.

Please trust that we all want what’s best for everyone here and are working to achieve that for you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

@4chanhrn
I don't have any stake in fight between you and Reddit, nor do I want to tell you how to run your business. For what it's worth I find this forum and community to be an invaluable resource so I continue to post here. My only concern here is that there are far too many newbies who trust the recommended list and end up getting botched. This can very easily be prevented if you follow your own guidelines that you linked and stop adding questionable doctors to that list. As you may know, a bad HT can be extremely difficult and expensive to correct and can mentally scar someone for a very long time, especially if the patient is young. This is very easily preventable and can be fixed if you want it to

Poor results can happen with any doctor. Furthermore, our mantra has always been to use the list as a starting point for your own personal research. I want to make it clear, there is absolutely NO way we could ever prevent a patient from getting poor surgery, or being dissatisfied. The best we can do is provide an open, honest and transparent platform that allows them to gather information to make a decision. Despite their research, poor surgery is always a possibility. Thats a risk you must accept before getting surgery. At the end of the day, we do not guarantee any surgeon or their work. See here. There is nothing we or anyone could ever do to prevent poor outcomes, they occur despite everyone’s best efforts. 

I wonder if any of them would recommend Charles, especially after recent poor results. When I search "Glenn Charles" in the search bar on this forum, I can see a sea of terrible results and I'm struggling to find a single decent .

Dr. Charles has been performing surgery for 20+ years with a high degree of patient satisfaction. It’s true, there have been some recent dissatisfied patients. It’s our job to ask “what happened, what’s being done to correct it, and how can this be improved going forward.” Its fair to gather this information before making a decision. As for them recommending him, that’s a question they’ll have to answer when the review is complete. 

Without having to name names can you enlighten me why you add or continue to "recommend" doctors which:

1. Violate your own guidelines that you linked above by demonstrating low surgical involvement, ethics and/or patient satisfaction.
2. Have doctors with zero full patient posted journeys on this forum.

The community has raised these concerns with you multiple times, but I'm not sure you care enough to listen to these concerns.

1. We have not violated our guidelines. They can be viewed here. We have never set a rule that surgeons are not able to delegate certain aspects of surgery. For example, implanting or extracting grafts. There are very good surgeons who delegate various aspects of surgery. Im assuming thats what you mean by “low surgical involvement.” As long as the surgeon is involved in one of the three-part process. We do not recommend any surgeons that do not create the recipient sites. If you have a name give it to me. 

2. The absence of patient reviews on this forum does not mean a doctor isn’t good or ethical. The presence of patient reviews doesn’t guarantee anything either. As you know, one patient can have one experience and someone else another. Patient reviews are only one metric for research. To discredit and invalidate a doctor because there hasn’t been a patient review here is not appropriate. 

We are talent scouts, we scout known and unknown ethical doctors doing quality work, that we feel will be solid options for our community. At one point, every surgeon on the list was unknown to the forum world. They became known on this forum. If having no patient reviews on here is a dealbreaker to you, then by all means choose someone else. That’s part of doing your own research.

At the end of the day, everyone must do their own due diligence and choose surgeons based on their merits and their research. I know several doctors that may not have reviews here, but they can introduce you to patients in person or provide their information privately so you can communicate with them. Some can send their social media info so you can dm them if their patients agree. To me, that’s just as valuable. 

Where have they raised these concerns? It’s possible I haven’t seen it, but any time concerns are raised I do my best to address them like I am now. Every year I create a topic “how can we improve” this is created to get critical feedback from our community. Im not perfect, our forum isn’t perfect. But I think we’re the most approachable and willing to make improvements. Improvements we made based on feedback include, combining the hair transplant review sections, creating a section for beards, creating a board of valued contributors to help us decide when to add/remove surgeons. These members are unpaid so there is no conflict of interest. These have all been suggestions made by our community. If you think I don’t care, fair enough, that’s your opinion and your perception. That doesn’t mean you’re right. I have done my best to listen carefully to the feedback from our community to make it the best platform online, and I believe it is.

Having said that, it doesn’t mean we will be ruled by a few anonymous posters whose motives are unknown. As seen on Reddit, interests and motives run rampant. Why is this anonymous poster so invested? Yet unwilling to disclose any details about themselves or their background/experience. That’s something we have to question. I do my best to answer concerns, but that doesn’t mean everyone will be happy at my response. I’m not trying to make everyone happy. I’m trying to have a fair and balanced platform that is invaluable to patients.

Feel free to make suggestions on how we can improve, these suggestions can be made to me or any valued contributor. 

Onwards and upwards,

View my thread

• Moderators
On 7/27/2024 at 6:20 PM, Stavros said:

I think we would all rather have a pop up banner rather than spend our hard earned money on a paid for recommended doctor that continually provides poor results

Let's think about that. Suppose we did away with a recommended list and went with paid advertising instead. Who do you think is going to be advertising on a hair restoration site? We would have every hair mill and amateur Dr who will botch every patient and they would be paying this site lots of money to get you to go there and be botched. On top of that we would also have plenty of sham companies advertising all sorts of new hair tonics and lotions that they claim will magically regrow all your hair. Do you really think that's better? Are you seriously going to say you would then NOT accuse the paid people working for this site of only being here for the money and not caring about the members?

OK. Maybe to improve it you'd suggest that we screen advertisers and only accept those who we feel will give you a good result and not accept snake oil companies trying to con you out of money for things that don't work. Hmmm... you know what? I think we have that. Yes! We do! It's called a list of Forum Recommended Surgeons. The link is here: https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons   😄

As a matter of fact, we even go one step better. We don't let them put ads all over the site, so you are free to research all of the Drs without being forced to view ads from Drs trying to change your mind about who to choose.

On a very serious note. I really do feel that the way this site is set up is the best possible way to do it. It's never going to be perfect. Nothing is. It costs money to run a site like this. There's no way around that. The site is run by people who have had hair transplants, so we aren't some outsiders who just own and run a site and just here for the money.

• Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

@WolfCE is the perfect case to judge Dr Charles’ density and graft count…. He constantly tells us that it’s impossible to tell density and count but somehow that’s only true for him and not other doctors when comparing post op density…. Most people can tell from his post opp photo that the results match… but the doctor will have us believe there are phantom grafts that no one can see. Normally dr Charles implants in between hairs so it’s difficult to judge but in this case his lack of density and perhaps even false statement of graft counts is clear…. There’s no reason he can’t pack the grafts closer together… maybe it’s an age related issue or a laziness related issue but it’s not top dollar work as he claims