Is it possible to have a transplant with Retrograde Alopecia ?

I am a 30-year-old male with a Norwood 2 hair pattern. I've always had an M-shaped hairline, but I've recently noticed signs of recession and miniaturization at my temples. Additionally, I'm experiencing retrograde alopecia at the nape of my neck. While my hair is pretty thick and my crown remains unaffected, I'm concerned about these changes. I'm about to start medical treatment to see how it stabilizes my hair loss, but I would appreciate some advice. Given that retrograde alopecia limits the available donor hair and affects the temples, how realistic is a hair transplant for someone in my situation?

Since I'm 30, I would prefer a conservative approach. I’m not looking to jump on the first flight to Turkey, I want to plan ahead. I'm open to a procedure that allows me to keep my hair short to frame my face, similar to Vincent Cassel's shaven look. I am just looking to keep some hair on the top, I don't mind as I age losing it from other areas. I also have a thick beard and body hair that I wouldn't mind using for a transplant, as I dislike being overly hairy. I've read that Eugenix can achieve good results with this type of hair. Overall, is a hair transplant feasible for someone with retrograde alopecia at my age?

I'm looking for hope as I begin my medication journey. I used to shave my head bald as a teenager and again a few years ago, but it doesn't suit me and makes me look significantly older.

Thanks for the help.

• Valued Contributor

Retrograde alopecia doesn't stop you being a candidate (within reason), it just means you have to take a slightly more strategic approach on the basis that the retrograde could progress further or that any grafts taken from near to those areas via FUE may not survive long term. Probably the best way to get the biggest number of juicy grafts from your donor would be FUT rather than FUE, as it extracts exclusively from the safest areas of the donor and away from the retrograde areas.

Some pictures of your current concerns would be more useful of course.

• Like 2

Good question, particularly when you consider FUE.  Keep in mind - most often - the sides and back are shaven when using this technique.  And, if so, an inexperienced doctor is likely to end up harvesting from that particular area resulting in subsequent thinning of the grafts.  And while a mindful doctor may skip using grafts from that particular area, who's not to say the area will expand in the future?  (If you've shown the propensity to lose, you'll continue losing).  I'd be one to consider a non surgical approach for 6 months before moving forward with an intervention.  

I do agree with Barba11.  There's always a sweet spot for many patients, including those with advanced patterns dipping from the top down and from the bottom up.  FUT is an alternative for sure - as is FUE.  Do your research.  Always keep in mind, this is not a regulated industry and often times it will be techs, (people with no medical training) doing the procedure.  A disaster waiting to happen.  

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

Good question, particularly when you consider FUE.  Keep in mind - most often - the sides and back are shaven when using this technique.  And, if so, an inexperienced doctor is likely to end up harvesting from that particular area resulting in subsequent thinning of the grafts.  And while a mindful doctor may skip using grafts from that particular area, who's not to say the area will expand in the future?  (If you've shown the propensity to lose, you'll continue losing).  I'd be one to consider a non surgical approach for 6 months before moving forward with an intervention.  

I do agree with Barba11.  There's always a sweet spot for many patients, including those with advanced patterns dipping from the top down and from the bottom up.  FUT is an alternative for sure - as is FUE.  Do your research.  Always keep in mind, this is not a regulated industry and often times it will be techs, (people with no medical training) doing the procedure.  A disaster waiting to happen.  

I see in many advanced cases where men just have the little strip remaining with retrograde. If it ever got this worse would a transplant be possible to build a frontal hairline and then SMP the rest of the head just to frame the face? Something like Zidane's hairline. I wouldn't mind buzzing everything as long as there was a bit up front. 

3 hours ago, lyskvostroya said:

I see in many advanced cases where men just have the little strip remaining with retrograde. If it ever got this worse would a transplant be possible to build a frontal hairline and then SMP the rest of the head just to frame the face? Something like Zidane's hairline. I wouldn't mind buzzing everything as long as there was a bit up front. 

Very possible.  During an in person evaluation the doctor can confirm the quality of the donor, particularly in the area you're referring to.  Agree.  Having hair in the front will always serve you well.  It's help frame your face and give you styling options.  I often think of SMP as monochrome.  When you start adding hair it becomes multi dimensional.  By reducing the depth of field, it'll make it seem like you have hair with a lot less contrast to deal with.  I'd encourage you to consider a non surgical approach to see if you can improve the sides and back.  You may end up being far more than just a marginal candidate.  What are you doing to mitigate the progression?

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.