Why didn't you Just accept hair loss?

It is deep and my thinking was firstly I didn't want hairloss to define me..the bald guy...Secondly throughout centuries the richest men in the world never have had the opportunity to deal with their hair loss and we do. So, I wanted to take advantage of that and also it is not adding something I never had, it is recovering what I lost. I also did it for myself and not others. Yes it is risk, a sacrifice, and there is a cost to it but in the right hands it really is life changing. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I looked significantly worse.

You are treated much worse in society as such, professionally, romantically, hell even platonically...It is what it is.

Edited by asterix0
  • Like 3

i went with the hair transplant route which I deeply regret every morning when I wake up. Above the suboptimal result and scarring - I realised that being bald does not actually define you and you can actually use it to your advantage to improve other aspects of your life to actually "balance" things out to put it that way. There are plenty of dudes who are bald and are very successful and those are things that actually last and are meaningful. I do not agree that you are treated worse in society - if you are fit and have things going on in your life you will be allright. I know this sounds controversial but that is what I think. 

• Like 4
  • Well Done 1

Posted (edited)

My hair was one of my best features, even wore it long for years (grew up with heavy metal 🙂). Same as asterix said, I look objectively worse with a buzzcut

Losing it felt unjust and random and I wanted it back. Hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to see now through that shroud of emotion, I should've worked on accepting it instead

Edited by Paul_
  • Like 1

Two successful repairs (pluggy hairline removal + donor restoration) with Dr Ball - The Maitland Clinic

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/72766-pluggy-hairline-removal-donor-restocking-2-repairs-with-dr-ball-maitland-clinic/

The advice of getting fit and working on other aspects of your life if you're bald just proves the point that it doesn't look good on most people and you need to compensate somehow 🤷‍♂️ You know what's better than bald and fit? Full head of hair and being fit :)

• Like 2
  • Well Done 2

39 minutes ago, son2 said:

The advice of getting fit and working on other aspects of your life if you're bald just proves the point that it doesn't look good on most people and you need to compensate somehow 🤷‍♂️ You know what's better than bald and fit? Full head of hair and being fit :)

My comment will obviously not go down well in a hair restoration forum were most people give "vanity" more importance than the average guy on the street.

I agree with you that most people look better with hair than without hair. I have an abnormally sized head - I shaved my head around 5 times in my life. when I was younger I used to be teased about my abnormally large head. Having hair used to somehow help conceal things. A year before the transplant I shaved my head again, I look at the mirror I don't like it, I also ask my friends what they think - they say hair is better. So I know what you mean - but looking back if I somehow completely ignored what I look like and focused my time on my career, friends, relationships etc  especially this past year I would be in a much much better place financially and spiritually and probably with more character. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, laverita said:

It is deep and my thinking was firstly I didn't want hairloss to define me..the bald guy...Secondly throughout centuries the richest men in the world never have had the opportunity to deal with their hair loss and we do. So, I wanted to take advantage of that and also it is not adding something I never had, it is recovering what I lost. I also did it for myself and not others. Yes it is risk, a sacrifice, and there is a cost to it but in the right hands it really is life changing. 

So you dont regret?

4 hours ago, BaldReaper said:

Didnt like looking 45 when I was 25

How old are you now and would you do it again?

2 hours ago, asterix0 said:

I looked significantly worse.

You are treated much worse in society as such, professionally, romantically, hell even platonically...It is what it is.

Haha gotcha. I am still ugly but less ugly. 

1 hour ago, kajl said:

i went with the hair transplant route which I deeply regret every morning when I wake up. Above the suboptimal result and scarring - I realised that being bald does not actually define you and you can actually use it to your advantage to improve other aspects of your life to actually "balance" things out to put it that way. There are plenty of dudes who are bald and are very successful and those are things that actually last and are meaningful. I do not agree that you are treated worse in society - if you are fit and have things going on in your life you will be allright. I know this sounds controversial but that is what I think. 

Same! I am only 27 only and had 4000 grafts already. Quite scared. Might have to go the hair system Route soonish!

Edited by davidn

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, davidn said:

So you dont regret?

No, I had a lot of surgery from near 20 years ago and no regret. To think the whole industry was not developed as it is now but I still put research as my priority and put value above cost and for me it turned out well. Today is far more complex than 20 years ago and far more damage done on a huge scale and to very young patients, so many have regrets but I don't at all and this is sincere.

Edited by laverita
typo
  • Well Done 1

Posted (edited)

I got long hair when I was 12 years old.. and I really loved my hair.. then when the first signs came at the age of 22 I felt such great anxiety that I felt I had to fight this at all costs.. Now that I am 40 plus so the only thing I regret is that I started finasteride.. my two hair transplants were quite successful so it's nothing I regret..

Edited by Al - Moderator
Fixed formatting

• Moderators

At age 15 I had noticeably thinning hair. At age 16 I was getting teased about my bald spot. At age 17 I was turned down for the high school prom by a girl who I had been set up to go with because "all his hair is falling out" (that's the reason she gave me and the person who set us up together). At age 19 I was told I was too old to be trying to date 20 something year olds because they were half my age. At age 20 when I did date a woman my age I was told I was robbing the cradle and looked ridiculous dating someone so much younger than me. At 21 I was told I should be dating 45 year olds. Then I got a hair system which I hated and a year later at 22 I had my first hair transplant.

The short version: I didn't want to skip all the years between ages 18 and 45.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Al - Moderator said:

At age 15 I had noticeably thinning hair. At age 16 I was getting teased about my bald spot. At age 17 I was turned down for the high school prom by a girl who I had been set up to go with because "all his hair is falling out" (that's the reason she gave me and the person who set us up together). At age 19 I was told I was too old to be trying to date 20 something year olds because they were half my age. At age 20 when I did date a woman my age I was told I was robbing the cradle and looked ridiculous dating someone so much younger than me. At 21 I was told I should be dating 45 year olds. Then I got a hair system which I hated and a year later at 22 I had my first hair transplant.

The short version: I didn't want to skip all the years between ages 18 and 45.

Nicely said. I think most of us on here have some tragic hair related moments we can’t forget. I know I do. Makes me think if I didn’t have those, would I still get the surgery, meds and undertake countless hours of research. I like to think the answer is yes but I don’t really know. 

Edited by londonbased
  • Like 1

I actually accepted it at first and shaved my head for some time. It was after my now ex girlfriend broke up with me that I started to working on myself to get over her. I lost over 20 kg and put some muscles on, got a hair transplant, LASIK-surgery to get rid of my glasses and improved my fashion style. 

The hairloss still continues and I actually hate the fact that I have to fight this battle over and over again, well knowing, that I can't win against male pattern baldness with my situation (poor donor area and not taking any meds). 

I hope that sooner or later I will have the courage to shave my head again (maybe combined with SMP) and forget about hairloss for ever.. I am freshly 30 years old btw.

• Like 1

I grew up playing in bands and being a good-looking lad. I experienced gradual hairloss and actually made it all the way to 37 a solid NW3, not even thinking about a hair transplant. The incredible stresses that hit me between 37-41 got me from a thick NW3 to NW5 in a bad dream of vanishing time. When I did recover and pull out of that tunnel, I did not want to be beaten or scarred.

I had pulled through the toughest thing that happened to me, my hair loss was accelerated 10X because of it and it was well within my means to fix it, so that the face in the mirror would match the rest of me in recovery.

It's about not letting circumstances out of my control beat me. 

Getting a hairtransplant was worth the money for me.. i was cheap about it at first but the $20,000 spent was worth it.. after losing alot of money on stocks im grateful the hairtransplant is still on my head n i have something to show for it..

i barely comb or put any products on my head, im not all about looking heka good, but i like to feel comfortable in my skin n not have to be self conscious about my hair.. and till this day noone even knows i had any work done. All my brothers have thick hair, and only have one friend that is bald.. so having hair again feels great.. i look young n better looking than most people my age.. n in fact had done some modeling pics for my company, so they can use in advertisements n stuff :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, davidn said:

So you dont regret?

How old are you now and would you do it again?

Haha gotcha. I am still ugly but less ugly. 

Same! I am only 27 only and had 4000 grafts already. Quite scared. Might have to go the hair system Route soonish!

Yes but I would probably go to a better doctor and have a better plan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 1:51 PM, enes said:

I actually accepted it at first and shaved my head for some time. It was after my now ex girlfriend broke up with me that I started to working on myself to get over her. I lost over 20 kg and put some muscles on, got a hair transplant, LASIK-surgery to get rid of my glasses and improved my fashion style. 

The hairloss still continues and I actually hate the fact that I have to fight this battle over and over again, well knowing, that I can't win against male pattern baldness with my situation (poor donor area and not taking any meds). 

I hope that sooner or later I will have the courage to shave my head again (maybe combined with SMP) and forget about hairloss for ever.. I am freshly 30 years old btw.

The "shave your head and get over it" thing is not as easy as some people like to make it out to be. I started shaving my head at 23, not because I was totally bald but my hairline just looked so so bad. Continued with that for 12 years, somehow managed to get married to a beautiful woman and have my first kid. Actually coming across forums like this and realizing that hair loss is becoming something treatable with aesthetically pleasing outcomes reawakened all the feelings that I had buried deep inside me in order to survive. I don't want to be the bald dad, the only bald family member at reunions, I don't want to be the bald anything it's such a disfiguring condition. It was just a cruel twist of fate that has caused me so much deep suffering this whole time no matter how much I powered through it and moved on with my life. I do think your SMP on top of the transplant idea could work because as much as people like to pretend otherwise, a buzzed head looks NOTHING like a bald head. 

Edited by SeekingStubble
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Valued Contributor

Throughout all of my late teens I identified with my long, curly hair. Girls loved it so I identified strongly with my hair. When it first began when I turned 18 I panicked. It was like I was loosing a part of myself. However despite only slowly seeing my temples recede it felt like I was losing all of my hair. Everywhere I went I became obsessed with hairlines and guys who were bald. Within six months I had my first punch graft hair transplant. Withing six months I had a second one (which was supposed to fix the results of the first one). At this point I felt more lost than ever. It was the worst decision that I had ever made.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Administrators

Hair loss was a deep insecurity, it was something that obliterated my self-confidence. I always took pride in my hair. In high school people always commented about how perfect my hair was, I loved trying different styles. 

When I started losing my hair, it became apparent not only was I losing my youth at such a young age, but I was losing my ability to express myself through different styles. I tried shaving but that was like wearing uniform that I hated. 

I can respect men who move on and shave, but that isn’t for everyone. Luckily, we live in a time where hair loss can be more or less cured with a combination of surgery, medication and products. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.