How many grafts do I need and which surgeon?

Hello, I’m a 40yo with history of male pattern baldness on my mother’s side. Grandfather was a NW6 around my age and I think I’m pretty close to that as well. I am not on meds currently (was recommended to stop them for better assessment of my donor), and would prefer to stay off of them if possible, but willing to hop back on if it’s the only way to keep hair after HT.

I’ve been looking at Absolute Hair Clinic in Bangkok as a great place to get this done, but looking for general feedback and opinions on best course of action. I’d like to achieve full coverage, but also realistic about density. Might do some SMP as well to help with that. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_8333.jpeg

IMG_8334.jpeg

IMG_8335.jpeg

IMG_8336.jpeg

IMG_8337.jpeg

IMG_8342.jpeg

IMG_8347.jpeg

IMG_8346.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

I don't believe surgery is a good option for you, as you don't seem to be an ideal candidate for a hair transplant. You have a high Norwood classification and your donor area appears weak and sparse based on the video you posted. If you proceed with a hair transplant, you will likely rely heavily on body hair. Your safest option might be Scalp Micropigmentation 

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Thank you for the response!  Body hair is something I have to spare for sure! I’m more than open to this option to restore the hair on top of my head, but I’m not sure what surgeons are best suited for this. I’ve seen Eugenix utilize body and beard for transplants on high Norwood recipients but not sure if there are other clinics/surgeons with mastery in this area?

You want to improve your looks.

Here is what you can control, your weight. Reduce sugar, carbs act. Shave down the neck hair using regular razor.
Use zero gap no guard calipers on the sides and back of your head. You don't need to touch the top.
See how it looks.

Then consider doing 3000 graphs in the front. Then everything behind that do SMP. If you staying in Bangkok for a while hair scalp center seems decent. If not see what is available at home.

• Valued Contributor

Check out results of @Dr. Felipe Pittella. You might find some of his patient's situations resonate with yours. He is an excellent doctor for high Norwood cases. Consider consulting him and seeking his opinion.

--> My Thread

Thank you for the replies on this! I’ll look into Pittella and Eugenix to better understand their expectations given my current condition.

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 3:27 PM, A_4_Archan said:

I don't believe surgery is a good option for you, as you don't seem to be an ideal candidate for a hair transplant. You have a high Norwood classification and your donor area appears weak and sparse based on the video you posted. If you proceed with a hair transplant, you will likely rely heavily on body hair. Your safest option might be Scalp Micropigmentation 

I disagree. Doctors like Dr Pitella and Dr Zarev have had huge success with patients like OP.

edit: looks like you mentioned him in another post. Nevermind

Edited by Shesayshesay

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Shesayshesay said:

I disagree. Doctors like Dr Pitella and Dr Zarev have had huge success with patients like OP.

I guess u missed my next post 

On 7/20/2024 at 12:31 PM, A_4_Archan said:

Check out results of @Dr. Felipe Pittella. You might find some of his patient's situations resonate with yours. He is an excellent doctor for high Norwood cases. Consider consulting him and seeking his opinion.

👆

--> My Thread

• Valued Contributor
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Shesayshesay said:

Imho,Expecting consistently excellent outcomes from every patient with NW6/7 baldness is unrealistic. While there are some successful cases, such advanced baldness is very challenging to treat, and even doctors like Zarev and Pittela must be having varying success rates depending on the patient. The results we see on forums likely represent only about 5-10% of the total transplants these surgeons perform. Considering they have been performing one surgery per day for many years, we may have seen just 20-30 results, leaving many others unseen.

Though judging from whatever we have available on the table, for someone with NW6/7 baldness seeking surgery, Zarev and Pittela are likely the best bet. But the patient should also set fair expectations so that he doesn't feel unhappy later on.

Edited by A_4_Archan
  • Like 3

--> My Thread

Thanks all, I'm currently consulting with Eugenix and Dr. Pittella to get consensus on overall Norwood (from photos at least), pricing, strategy, and schedule for a procedure. I'll update the thread once I receive information from both.

• Administrators

In my opinion, this will be probably too expensive to consider. Unless you’re willing to invest a lot over multiple surgeries. Surgery isn’t the best option. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...

Update on status - 

I've booked an appointment with Eugenix in Delhi on Sept 12-14 to FUE roughly 6,100 grafts from scalp and beard. Dr. Somesh will be the surgeon. I've chosen the Premium Package - Procedure Lead By – Senior Eugenix HT Doctors (Dr Somesh)

We're attempting to do the hairline, mid scalp, and crown across multiple days of surgery. I've just started taking Fin/Min and hope this will provide additional density or at least retention of transplanted grafts after the surgery is complete. I'll be documenting my experience and will post a recap after the procedure is complete.