Roughly 5400 Hair Transplant Over 4 Years

I’ve tried to post the photos in order. From before the first surgery up until where I’m at now over 2 years after my second surgery.

I got my first transplant with a graft count of about 2800. The second transplant over a year later was about 2600.

I understand that I started off pretty bald so I knew my results wouldn’t be amazing nor would I have the hair I had when I was 17. However, I feel that I still have thin hair and even though my hair is noticeably thicker (as I had nothing to begin with) I feel like the results could’ve been better given that the doctor said my donor hair was pretty thick. 

I would love to hear the thoughts of the forum.

6D34152B-C1DB-4142-B419-93CB0D6D9AA8.jpeg

49E802E0-CE5E-428A-8FD2-C2DFAD968991.jpeg

BEA820AF-9040-4537-B727-E8DF74BB75C7.jpeg

8E121303-C6CA-4FA7-9D7D-7A93902E8112.jpeg

07D0D6FD-6C67-45BE-907D-840CE10990C0.jpeg

D58B06D1-9FE4-4E1F-8789-6F7822AA3BAC.jpeg

9EDCB10F-E6D9-446F-87B8-69A135716A29.jpeg

• Sad 1

The last three are my final result. If you look below, the first photo is right after my first surgery and the second photo under it is right after my second surgery.   Apologies for the blood. 

7D675391-C075-4304-A282-E8639F235247.jpeg

D565E97D-7624-4D51-8E17-6417DC44C8C6.png

• Valued Contributor
Posted (edited)

I'm sorry to say this, but with 5400 grafts, your result should have been significantly better. It seems that both the planning and execution of the surgery were subpar. Who was your surgeon?

Edited by A_4_Archan
  • Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Looks like most of the hair failed to grow. Post op pics suggest this was poor work.

Who was the doctor here OP? Even though you seem to have a good donor in pic 1, 5400 is not far away from lifetime supply of grafts for a lot of people. This puts you in a very tricky position.

5 hours ago, Alex27O said:

I feel that I still have thin hair and even though my hair is noticeably thicker (as I had nothing to begin with) I feel like the results could’ve been better given that the doctor said my donor hair was pretty thick. 

This is what 5000 odd grafts can look in the right hands. This guy had more balding than you. So this was very poor work.

Best course of action here like with any patient who has had a failed transplant is to go the medical route(oral minoxidil, dutasteride if possible) and take your time to evaluate clinics for repair. Go for inperson consult to get an idea of how much donor you have left.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My surgeon was Doctor Glenn Charles. I’m currently on oral minoxidil and I used to take oral finasteride but had no noticeable results.

Edited by Alex27O
Clarity

21 minutes ago, 4chanhrn said:

Looks like most of the hair failed to grow. Post op pics suggest this was poor work.

Who was the doctor here OP? Even though you seem to have a good donor in pic 1, 5400 is not far away from lifetime supply of grafts for a lot of people. This puts you in a very tricky position.

This is what 5000 odd grafts can look in the right hands. This guy had more balding than you. So this was very poor work.

Best course of action here like with any patient who has had a failed transplant is to go the medical route(oral minoxidil, dutasteride if possible) and take your time to evaluate clinics for repair. Go for inperson consult to get an idea of how much donor you have left.

When you say post op pics show poor work what do you mean by that? 

1 hour ago, Alex27O said:

My surgeon was Doctor Glenn Charles. I’m currently on oral minoxidil and I used to take oral finasteride but had no noticeable results.

Holy crap how is this guy allowed to be a surgeon… there is no way in hell that’s 5400 grafts…. Do we think Dr Charles is lying about hair grafts or something else is horribly wrong with his practice

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Angry 1

Sorry to say that this is not even close to the amount of grafts he has told you he has moved, probably 50% most, did he say hairs or grafts? as I have seen some docs refer to them as hairs and then in that sense they have generalised 2 hairs to a graft, but I have not heard of Dr Glenn Charles until recently when reading @Stavros post, and I feel he Is not to be trusted at all, this is such subpar work and sounds like he is charging a fortune to do this also

Sorry, but i cannot look at this photo and say that this is a work of an above average doctor. 

The graft count seems iffy to me.

And why didn’t you chose to shave for the surgery?

image.jpeg.72ea990bdbc13406bddd17e722f59556.jpeg

• Like 2

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 1:17 PM, YodaHead said:

Sorry, but i cannot look at this photo and say that this is a work of an above average doctor. 

The graft count seems iffy to me.

And why didn’t you chose to shave for the surgery?

image.jpeg.72ea990bdbc13406bddd17e722f59556.jpeg

I don’t think he gave me that option. The techs mentioned that I was bleeding a lot. They said that I didn’t have a lot of 3 count hairs but I don’t know. 

Edited by Alex27O

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 12:23 PM, Stewie said:

Sorry to say that this is not even close to the amount of grafts he has told you he has moved, probably 50% most, did he say hairs or grafts? as I have seen some docs refer to them as hairs and then in that sense they have generalised 2 hairs to a graft, but I have not heard of Dr Glenn Charles until recently when reading @Stavros post, and I feel he Is not to be trusted at all, this is such subpar work and sounds like he is charging a fortune to do this also

Grafts, but he mentioned I didn’t have enough 3’s grafts or something like that. He said he was content by the final result but I could tell by his reaction that this wasn’t the best results.

Edited by Alex27O

This is shocking work if I'm honest, sorry you had to go through this. How is the donor looking now, and beard? Hopefully the right surgeon can get you back on track.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, YodaHead said:

I am surprised that shaving for the surgery was not discussed. 

He might’ve brought it up but he never put a lot of emphasis on it. I don’t think it was extensively discussed in my case. 

would that have changed the result?

Edited by Alex27O

9 minutes ago, Alex27O said:

He might’ve brought it up but he never put a lot of emphasis on it. I don’t think it was extensively discussed in my case. 

would that have changed the result?

I don’t believe it would have impacted the result much. If the doctor did not insist, it means he is comfortable working on unshaven head. Plus, not like you had too many hair to begin with. 
I just question his skills or level of his own involvement in the surgery. For anyone recommended on this site, I would have expected a much better work to say the least.

• Like 1

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, YodaHead said:

For anyone recommended on this site, I would have expected a much better work to say the least.

Does the recommended list have any credibility? Maybe it fools newbies who think going to any doc on a pay to get on list would automatically get them a good result. That's sad. Nobody deserves to get botched.

On 7/19/2024 at 10:45 PM, Alex27O said:

When you say post op pics show poor work what do you mean by that? 

Screenshot_20240720_185927_Instagram.thumb.jpg.474093f32eb5e81d068ed8cd7f08f83b.jpg

This is a 1 day post op pics of a surgeon who I consider to be decent. I didn't cherry pick this, just saw it on feed of a doc that came up on my IG feed. Other than row implantation, look at how clean it looks. This is 3085 grafts, much more than yours.

Edited by 4chanhrn

On 7/20/2024 at 10:04 PM, 4chanhrn said:

Does the recommended list have any credibility? Maybe it fools newbies who think going to any doc on a pay to get on list would automatically get them a good result. That's sad. Nobody deserves to get botched.

Screenshot_20240720_185927_Instagram.thumb.jpg.474093f32eb5e81d068ed8cd7f08f83b.jpg

This is a 1 day post op pics of a surgeon who I consider to be decent. I didn't cherry pick this, just saw it on feed of a doc that came up on my IG feed. Other than row implantation, look at how clean it looks. This is 3085 grafts, much more than yours.

Thank you for the message. I trusted the recommended list of surgeons and he wasn’t too far from me. Judging from the photo my surgery was a lot dirtier and unorganized with graft placement. It sucks that I put a lot of trust into my surgeon and came back with poor results. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 9:03 PM, HHH said:

This is shocking work if I'm honest, sorry you had to go through this. How is the donor looking now, and beard? Hopefully the right surgeon can get you back on track.

I have a pretty thick beard so I’m assuming that’s good. In terms of donor hair I might have about 2000 roughly. I don’t know if the doctor was really content with the results either. He’s professional though.

I don’t know if I can get the results I want with what I have left.

Edited by Alex27O

On 7/20/2024 at 3:30 AM, Stavros said:

Holy crap how is this guy allowed to be a surgeon… there is no way in hell that’s 5400 grafts…. Do we think Dr Charles is lying about hair grafts or something else is horribly wrong with his practices sure Melvin will defend him! 

I’m sure Melvin will continue to defend him, I know I received multiple emails when I joined this forum from so called experts recommending  Charles, Why is he still backed by this website Melvin?