Dr. Konior - June 2023 - 1,600 Grafts

It's been nearly 14 months since I had a ~1.6k graft transplant with Dr. Konior in Chicago. Dr. Konior doesn't really need any more positive reviews but I wanted to do my due diligence as a courtesy to the good doctor as well as this forum which helped me very much in my research before my transplant.

Instead of giving my whole life story and dumping a ton of unorganized pics, in the interest of everyone's time I will simply post a few befores/afters and say that Dr. Konior is an excellent doctor and his entire operation is run very smoothly and professionally. If you choose him as your doctor you are in great hands.

If anyone has specific Q's or wants pics from a specific time post-op feel free to leave a comment and I'll reply in at least a somewhat timely fashion.

Pics:

1.png.0f258d652e2d999420965f26db9235a6.png

2.png.747af7d5c6d1316955332c0d3e172e05.png

3.png.9bffd0063ba1fcd0ff975f0da2702f97.png

@BTBizz are you going to get a 2nd surgery or are you done?

this 1st surgery looks great, but it looks like the density is lacking in a few areas when the lighting is shown on them. How much you care about this really just depends on your expectations and personality, etc. 

8 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Very interesting and very honest comparison, thank you! 

Do you have pictures post surgery from donor and recipient? It would help the evaluation of your case. 

I do, here are some from immediately after surgery:

Donor:

1.thumb.png.02455d89d3d668bf44e926b3c28827d5.png

2.png.87791b153ab30fdc51af754e0e157ebf.png

Recipient:

3.thumb.png.0294631c5c8adbd0deb71f8e98a1f934.png

4.thumb.png.bd63f345b1f0f83c6b395863da9c9335.png

5.thumb.png.47c0fde8e9c77ca2ef4724967c40b0f0.png

32 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

@BTBizz are you going to get a 2nd surgery or are you done?

this 1st surgery looks great, but it looks like the density is lacking in a few areas when the lighting is shown on them. How much you care about this really just depends on your expectations and personality, etc. 

Thanks for the kind words. I was fully aware going in based on both research and Dr. Konior's prep that high density on a first pass would not likely be the result. I don't know if I care enough to get a 2nd transplant. Fortunately my hair behind is still very thick so in most cases you couldn't tell unless you were really looking. Also if I take the time to style it the thinness can be hidden quite well. For example here is a side by side pic taken on the same day, one style to highlight lack of density, the other to hide it:

1.thumb.png.d822eb37ed75d3001475109e856fcfaf.png

Although I have been thinking of potentially getting SMP in the transplanted areas to darken up the scalp and further create the illusion of density. I haven't done hardly any research though. If any one has tips or experience with this kind of thing they would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BTBizz said:

I haven't done hardly any research though. If any one has tips or experience with this kind of thing they would be greatly appreciated.

I personally would get a 2nd hair transplant instead of SMP

I don't think you need a 2nd transplant at all. 

Some people are like heroin addicts with hair transplants - always chasing the dragon. You got a great result with a single surgery and when styled you are basically a NW0. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

Your hair looks amazing.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There is absolutely no need of second Hair Transplant. Your transplant is looking fantastic. That's what a transplant is all about: it gives the illusion of hair. I appreciate you sharing unflattering pictures. If you hadn't shared those pictures, I doubt anyone would have commented on your need for another surgery. In real world no one would notice it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I personally would get a 2nd hair transplant instead of SMP

Thanks for the input. If I do get a 2nd transplant it will be quite a ways down the line. At the moment I'm happy with my hair.

8 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I don't think you need a 2nd transplant at all. 

Some people are like heroin addicts with hair transplants - always chasing the dragon. You got a great result with a single surgery and when styled you are basically a NW0. 

"chasing the dragon" lol. Yea I credit Dr. Konior with making it look natural and making relatively few grafts go pretty far. He made the transplanted grafts flow very nicely with my existing cowlicks.

6 hours ago, JoeD said:

It really is amazing how much difference lighting can make.  

Definitely. Plus in those pics my hair is deliberately styled in the worst possible way - straight up like trees. If I comb my hair forward you can't tell anything even in terrible lighting.

6 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Your hair looks amazing.

Thanks. And thanks for all your vids. The one where you talk about how a transplant is an "illusion of density" and how you should get a hair system if you want true density really helped set proper expectations for me going into the procedure.

5 hours ago, Rawkerboi said:

There is absolutely no need of second Hair Transplant. Your transplant is looking fantastic. That's what a transplant is all about: it gives the illusion of hair. I appreciate you sharing unflattering pictures. If you hadn't shared those pictures, I doubt anyone would have commented on your need for another surgery. In real world no one would notice it.

Thank you, and agreed. A little styling, and a little strategic hat usage on bright sunny days (which you should probably do anyway to protect that skin) and nobody would ever know. It's worth remembering that most people don't pay any particular attention to hairlines and density the way we do on this forum. We're just used to scrutinizing it so we assume other people do.

• Like 2

If this was my result I'd get a second pass. 1600 grafts for that area is not enough. You would need another 1000 grafts. This perfectly illustrates why guys with high natural density needs a very dense transplant to match the hair behind the transplant, if not it ends up looking less than perfect in high lighting conditions.

That said, the work looks very good, nice hairline design to frame your face with excellent angulation and direction of grafts.

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023

20 hours ago, Chrisno said:

If this was my result I'd get a second pass. 1600 grafts for that area is not enough. You would need another 1000 grafts. This perfectly illustrates why guys with high natural density needs a very dense transplant to match the hair behind the transplant, if not it ends up looking less than perfect in high lighting conditions.

That said, the work looks very good, nice hairline design to frame your face with excellent angulation and direction of grafts.

Hey, thanks for the input.

I feel like the vast majority of transplants look less than perfect in high lighting after one pass. I knew that going in and was prepared for it. I actually think my dense hair behind really helps in most "normal" lighting situations, eg indoors. In those situations people only see the hair in the "flattering"-type photos I posted above.

I may get a second transplant at some point, but atm it's not a priority. I'd much prefer something less time and money-intensive like SMP.

2 hours ago, BTBizz said:

Hey, thanks for the input.

I feel like the vast majority of transplants look less than perfect in high lighting after one pass. I knew that going in and was prepared for it. I actually think my dense hair behind really helps in most "normal" lighting situations, eg indoors. In those situations people only see the hair in the "flattering"-type photos I posted above.

I may get a second transplant at some point, but atm it's not a priority. I'd much prefer something less time and money-intensive like SMP.

Get another pass, don't do SMP. You have a great foundation to work from, an excellent result from your first pass :)

Finish what you started. SMP is fake, looks fake close up, and won't give you what you want. Just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

This is a good result that gives the illusion of a full head of hair in regular lighting conditions. It’s very good of you to include the less flattering photos that show some of the density limitations in bright lighting without styling, as it’s helpful for anyone considering a transplant so they know what to expect. As Dr Konior does a fixed price procedure where he usually places somewhere between 2000 and 2200 grafts (for FUE), I do think that if he’d gone up to his usual upper limit you’d have had more robust density even under bright lights — another 600 would have filled it in very well. No one is going to look at you though and think you’re balding. SMP can work well to cover up over harvesting but I’ve never seen a case where it looks well in the hairline for a non-shaved look. But I get the feeling you’re going to stick with where you’re at as you’re already in a good place right now. 

On 7/28/2024 at 2:57 PM, FallenIdol said:

This is a good result that gives the illusion of a full head of hair in regular lighting conditions. It’s very good of you to include the less flattering photos that show some of the density limitations in bright lighting without styling, as it’s helpful for anyone considering a transplant so they know what to expect. As Dr Konior does a fixed price procedure where he usually places somewhere between 2000 and 2200 grafts (for FUE), I do think that if he’d gone up to his usual upper limit you’d have had more robust density even under bright lights — another 600 would have filled it in very well. No one is going to look at you though and think you’re balding. SMP can work well to cover up over harvesting but I’ve never seen a case where it looks well in the hairline for a non-shaved look. But I get the feeling you’re going to stick with where you’re at as you’re already in a good place right now. 

Judging by the responses in this thread, the public opinion on whether to get a 2nd transplant or not is about 50/50. Which is about where I stand as well, albeit a bit on the side of not getting another. The result is just good enough to where I feel I can get away with one.

Thanks for the info re: SMP. I'm pretty clueless about it, so it's good to know it's mostly for donor area cover-up. Although I must admit I don't really understand. If a lighter scalp (with dark hair) makes thin hair more apparent, and a darker scalp makes thin hair less apparent, and SMP can darken up the scalp, why wouldn't SMP help with making thin hair less apparent? I wouldn't get it right up to the edge of the hairline, but maybe half a centimeter or so back from it just to add some darker color to the scalp. Anyway, I need to do more research.

Thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, BTBizz said:

Judging by the responses in this thread, the public opinion on whether to get a 2nd transplant or not is about 50/50. Which is about where I stand as well, albeit a bit on the side of not getting another. The result is just good enough to where I feel I can get away with one.

Thanks for the info re: SMP. I'm pretty clueless about it, so it's good to know it's mostly for donor area cover-up. Although I must admit I don't really understand. If a lighter scalp (with dark hair) makes thin hair more apparent, and a darker scalp makes thin hair less apparent, and SMP can darken up the scalp, why wouldn't SMP help with making thin hair less apparent? I wouldn't get it right up to the edge of the hairline, but maybe half a centimeter or so back from it just to add some darker color to the scalp. Anyway, I need to do more research.

Thanks for your input!

SMP is a 2D effect. Hair is 3D. It works better in the donor where the hair naturally lays much flatter to the scalp vs. hairline (when styled), and for men is often cut much shorter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

My vote is to forget about SMP. If you want to add some density you can have some grafts added. You don't need a lot. It's common to need at least 2 transplants to get the density you want. I think these days too many people are expecting one transplant to solve all their hair issues and that's not realistic. Right now just live with what you have for a little while and take your time to decide if you need more density or not.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 8/2/2024 at 3:45 PM, Al - Moderator said:

My vote is to forget about SMP. If you want to add some density you can have some grafts added. You don't need a lot. It's common to need at least 2 transplants to get the density you want. I think these days too many people are expecting one transplant to solve all their hair issues and that's not realistic. Right now just live with what you have for a little while and take your time to decide if you need more density or not.

Great advice, that's exactly what I'll do - just take my time with it. Thanks to all in this thread for giving it to me straight with regards to SMP.

• Like 1