Start a family

Yabala

Hello guys! I have some questions. My wife and myself are planning on having a baby. I'm using minoxidil 5% and l stopped topical finasteride three months ago. I'm just using minoxidil and biotin supplements at the moment. I wanted to ask you if there is an alternative to finasteride l can take during the time of conception and during the duration of my wife's pregnancy ? Thanks in advance 

4 hours ago, Yabala said:

Hello guys! I have some questions. My wife and myself are planning on having a baby. I'm using minoxidil 5% and l stopped topical finasteride three months ago. I'm just using minoxidil and biotin supplements at the moment. I wanted to ask you if there is an alternative to finasteride l can take during the time of conception and during the duration of my wife's pregnancy ? Thanks in advance 

Bro Fin has 0 effect on conceiving as Long as your wife doesnt come in contact with it.

• Valued Contributor

I wanted to ask you if there is an alternative to finasteride l can take during the time of conception

There’s two proven DHT blockers: finasteride & dutasteride and if you want to cease one during conception then you’ll not want to substitute for other so best to just go cold turkey until she’s pregnant. So the short answer is no. 

during the duration of my wife's pregnancy ?

Why would you stay off finasteride during the pregnancy? I understand the precaution of coming off fin whilst trying to conceive, but don’t understand why you want to stay off of it once that’s been achieved?

31 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

There’s two proven DHT blockers: finasteride & dutasteride and if you want to cease one during conception then you’ll not want to substitute for other so best to just go cold turkey until she’s pregnant. So the short answer is no. 

Why would you stay off finasteride during the pregnancy? I understand the precaution of coming off fin whilst trying to conceive, but don’t understand why you want to stay off of it once that’s been achieved?

Would probably recommend oral during pregnancy. You don't want her touching the topical if she touches his head/gets on the pillow.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, davidn said:

Bro Fin has 0 effect on conceiving as Long as your wife doesnt come in contact with it.

eh it's not worth the risk given its MoA, even though the studies show it should be safe. I wouldn't say it has 0 effect, but it's likely safe. But if my child ever had an abnormality and I was taking fin during conception, i don't think i could ever forgive myself, be the abnormality from fin or not.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
15 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

Would probably recommend oral during pregnancy. You don't want her touching the topical if she touches his head/gets on the pillow.

Missed that it was topical fin he’s on - makes some sense for the reasons you say in that case. But yea, just take it orally. 

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Yabala said:

So to play it safe it's better to stop finasteride during conception and for all the duration of the pregnancy ?

Stop during conception, switch to oral during pregnancy. Really no need to go 9+ months without finasteride when there’s zero risk to your partner whilst pregnant if you take an oral supplement. 

Posted (edited)

For what its worth I accidentally got a girl pregnant while on Fin (seriously, true story, etc.)

For me personally I wish Fin was an effective off-label birth control pill for men, but sadly in my case it is not 🤣

Just like with everything Fin-hysteria related, I encourage you to get an exam from your doctor and make sure everything is good with your own reproductive capabilities before you point any fingers at Fin. 

So many people struggle with fertility for matters entirely unrelated to DHT. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

2 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Stop during conception, switch to oral during pregnancy. Really no need to go 9+ months without finasteride when there’s zero risk to your partner whilst pregnant if you take an oral supplement. 

well if you want to engage with the mrs. during pregnancy, i wouldn't be taking fin. hard to wait 9 months to engage 🤣.

All of your answers are interesting but at the same time l'd be mad at me if l take finasteride during conception and during the duration of the pregnancy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2024 at 10:15 AM, Yabala said:

I'm delaying starting Finasteride for the first time because me and my wife are trying to conceive our 2nd kid. What I'm doing to hold down the fort is natural supplements that only slightly lower DHT (Saw palmetto, pumpkin, rosemary etc) both in a pill and topically, as well as some other random topicals like Caffeine in morning and Melatonin at night. For what it's worth I'm starting to see some regrowth on this regimen, but it might just be because I'm taking both oral and topical minoxidil. If you live in the US I can PM you the stuff I use on Amazon

21 hours ago, SeekingStubble said:

I'm delaying starting Finasteride for the first time because me and my wife are trying to conceive our 2nd kid. What I'm doing to hold down the fort is natural supplements that only slightly lower DHT (Saw palmetto, pumpkin, rosemary etc) both in a pill and topically, as well as some other random topicals like Caffeine in morning and Melatonin at night. For what it's worth I'm starting to see some regrowth on this regimen, but it might just be because I'm taking both oral and topical minoxidil. If you live in the US I can PM you the stuff I use on Amazon

Sounds a good stack ! I'm using topical minoxidil and oral biotin. I wanted to add Alphatradiol but even if it's a small 5 alpha reductase inhibitor it still is a 5 Alpha reductase so l prefer to stay off for the moment 😕

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yabala said:

Sounds a good stack ! I'm using topical minoxidil and oral biotin. I wanted to add Alphatradiol but even if it's a small 5 alpha reductase inhibitor it still is a 5 Alpha reductase so l prefer to stay off for the moment 😕

Yeah I would personally not use Alphatradiol or any other hormone affecting pharmaceutical while trying to conceive, but the natural stuff seemed reasonable to me. Saw Palmetto especially seems to have much more effect on the hair than on the prostate, which is funny since it's typically thought of as as a mild substitute for Finasteride in the case of BPH. If you want to be super safe then only topical Saw Palmetto should still easily make the cut, it seems to have some effects that don't even reduce overall DHT but just block binding of DHT locally and there are studies on topical specifically working well.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7706486/