Losing Hair a Year After Transplant... Need Opinions & Help

Posted (edited)

So I had a transplant done last year. Everything up until last week looked dense and full, no problems there. Last week Wednesday I had it as dense as I've ever seen. It looked very good! But the next day, Thursday, things took a turn for the worse. I notice my hair a bit flat and not as dense. I use the same shampoo and haven't had a haircut.

Would someone explain why this phenomenon is happening? I dont get it.

Edited by wpwd

• Valued Contributor

I mean, without photos it's impossible to say but it sounds quite unlikely that your hair was nice and dense on Wednesday and then genuinely worse to a noticeable degree the very next day.

Hair can often feel a bit different day to day depending on when it was washed, any product used or the hair becoming a bit more greasy etc... But any losses manifest over time unless something extremely drastic as occurred. I assume you hadn't set your hair on fire between Wednesday and Thursday...

were you on Fin or Dut prior to surgery, and are you still on them?

If so, perhaps your MPB genes are stronger than the DHT medication and they can't provide 100% protection. 

Or, the surgeon could have taken grafts outside of your actual donor safe zone, and significantly miscalculated the strength and speed of your MPB. And/or a cr*ppy surgeon who just willy knilly took hair from the back of your head. 

If you have never been on any DHT meds, either before surgery or now, then the answer is self-explanatory. 

• Valued Contributor
43 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

If so, perhaps your MPB genes are stronger than the DHT medication and they can't provide 100% protection. 

Or, the surgeon could have taken grafts outside of your actual donor safe zone, and significantly miscalculated the strength and speed of your MPB. And/or a cr*ppy surgeon who just willy knilly took hair from the back of your head. 

If you have never been on any DHT meds, either before surgery or now, then the answer is self-explanatory. 

None of this makes sense in the context provided by the OP. He’s describing a situation in which his hair felt less dense literally one day after it felt as dense as it ever has; an apparent sea-change in under 24 hours. 

He’s probably just a having a couple of bad hair days, or perceiving something that isn’t there. The most generous interpretation might be a bit of anagen desynchronisation kicking in but in reality that’s something that would be perceived more gradually over time and not dramatically in 24 hours. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, wpwd said:

So I had a transplant done last year. Everything up until last week looked dense and full, no problems there. Last week Wednesday I had it as dense as I've ever seen. It looked very good! But the next day, Thursday, things took a turn for the worse. I notice my hair a bit flat and not as dense. I use the same shampoo and haven't had a haircut.

Would someone explain why this phenomenon is happening? I dont get it.

You would be noticing hairs in the sink, shower, in your comb when combing your hair, etc if this occurred in 24 hours.

On 8/14/2024 at 5:33 PM, Berba11 said:

Hair can often feel a bit different day to day depending on when it was washed, any product used or the hair becoming a bit more greasy etc... But any losses manifest over time unless something extremely drastic as occurred.

Youre probably right. Its just that I'm sensitive when it comes to hair after a transplant. Hair is a mystery we will never fully understand.

On 8/14/2024 at 6:11 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

I cant take fin/dut. Never have either.

I dont get it.

On 8/14/2024 at 11:10 PM, Gatsby said:

You would be noticing hairs in the sink, shower, in your comb when combing your hair, etc if this occurred in 24 hours.

yeah no hairs found in shower drain at all. No hairs on comb either