2 questions. Why do hair transplant surgeons reccomend this?

Posted (edited)

1. Some of the best hair transplant surgeons (Dr. Pittella and Dr.Zarev) always get their patient to use topical/oral minoxidil when their patient does NOT take finasteride. Pittella doesn’t even prescribe finasteride.

If DHT is what causes the hair to miniaturise and fall out and minoxidil is just a bandaid if you’re not taking finasteride, why take it at all? Wouldn’t it be a waste of time? Why do they prescribe this?

Won’t you just continue to eventually lose or thin out your donated transplanted hair (even though it’s from the donor area)  without fin and only minoxidil? (I am aware it’s DHT RESISTANT)

2. If there IS a benefit of using just topical minoxidil… I plan to get a transplant in about 6 or so years however I am diffusing into a Norwood 7. Is there ANY point of me starting topical minoxidil now if I can’t take finasteride, or will I just be wasting my money in the long run without finasteride? Will taking minoxidil now benefit me for my transplant in 6+ years in anyway? 

Appreciate any thoughtful advice.

Edited by Shesayshesay

1 hour ago, Shesayshesay said:

1. Some of the best hair transplant surgeons (Dr. Pittella and Dr.Zarev) always get their patient to use topical/oral minoxidil when their patient does NOT take finasteride. Pittella doesn’t even prescribe finasteride.

If DHT is what causes the hair to miniaturise and fall out and minoxidil is just a bandaid if you’re not taking finasteride, why take it at all? Wouldn’t it be a waste of time? Why do they prescribe this?

Won’t you just continue to eventually lose or thin out your donated transplanted hair (even though it’s from the donor area)  without fin and only minoxidil? (I am aware it’s DHT RESISTANT)

2. If there IS a benefit of using just topical minoxidil… I plan to get a transplant in about 6 or so years however I am diffusing into a Norwood 7. Is there ANY point of me starting topical minoxidil now if I can’t take finasteride, or will I just be wasting my money in the long run without finasteride? Will taking minoxidil now benefit me for my transplant in 6+ years in anyway? 

Well Pittella likes taking hair from all over the body and oral minoxidil will make your beard and chest sprout like crazy, so there's some logic to it!

1 hour ago, ITA said:

Finasteride and Minoxidil, have two different functions.

I know. I am asking is there any benefit for me to apply minoxidil in areas that aren’t my donor area before I have a transplant if I am not taking finasteride and what the benefits could possibly be to take minoxidil after a transplant if you’re not on finasteride 

Minoxidil is not enough. You will not stop hairloss without taking finasteride. Finasteride is the only drug which stops hairloss, together with dutasteride. So any patient going to a hair transplant without finasteride, he will continue to lose his hair and he might be higher norwood in the future which will need many more grafts to cover these large areas.

• Valued Contributor
23 hours ago, Shesayshesay said:

If you can’t tolerate finasteride the take oral minoxidil.