Share your oral minoxidil experience

davidn

Over the last 3 years, there was a big increase in the usage of oral minoxidil for androgenetic alopecia. So at this point, we should have people on this forum using it for years. Please share your experience, both negative or positive. 

• Like 1

Tried it for 9 months (2.5mg). Nothing. No shedding, no increase in density.

Upped the dosage to 5mg for 4 months. Still nothing.

Stopped completely for a month to see if I had any shedding.  Again nothing, but rather than throw out the month's supply I had kept for emergencies I got back on it and finished the supply.

A few days after I stopped, the shedding commenced. 😡  Two months on,  and it seems to have stopped again. 

So now I find myself waiting to see if my hair returns to its previous condition.

• Like 1

Used topical for crown with great results for a few years but ultimately the baldness prevailed

Now using oral, stronger thicker hair overall. Also been a fast grower throughout my 3 HTs, I believe in part due to it

• Like 2

Two successful repairs (pluggy hairline removal + donor restoration) with Dr Ball - The Maitland Clinic

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/72766-pluggy-hairline-removal-donor-restocking-2-repairs-with-dr-ball-maitland-clinic/

So many misconceptions regarding Rogaine, and Propecia for that matter.  Perhaps is an issue of expectations.  If I do something, I expect something in return. 

Most people do not understand.  The meds are considered to be the best when it comes to retention of the native hair.  That is, most will retain.  Some will enhance and some will not respond to the treatment.  If you look the same a year later, the meds did what they were intended to do.  (Nothing regrows hair). Let's get back to basics.

There are two types of loss. The type you can visually attest to and the type you can't see at all.  What you do see, referred to as shedding, is normal.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and goes into a resting phase for 3-4 months.  The hair then resumes growing.  True hair loss is different, you don't see it.

Start by looking at the hair in your temporal areas, (corners).  Notice the caliber. Some thick, robust and full of color. Others wispy - so thin- you can't hardly see them. Some seem stunted and just don't grow.  As the follicle atrophies, the hair becomes progressively thinner until it dissipates and disappears.  Once gone, it will not return.

I find it laughable when I read, and it happens often, "I'll wait until after the procedure to start taking/using the meds."  The time to start is when you first realize there's hair loss involved. All you can save will help add density to whatever you end up doing during your lifetime.

It does you not good to start and stop the use of meds.  Not only will you go on to lose what you would have lost had you not been on the meds, you'll resume losing hair.  A waste of time, effort and expense. 

My question, Did you - at least - experience retention?  Or did you continue losing hair?  If so, stop spending and save your money.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LaserCaps said:

So many misconceptions regarding Rogaine, and Propecia for that matter.  Perhaps is an issue of expectations.  If I do something, I expect something in return. 

Most people do not understand.  The meds are considered to be the best when it comes to retention of the native hair.  That is, most will retain.  Some will enhance and some will not respond to the treatment.  If you look the same a year later, the meds did what they were intended to do.  (Nothing regrows hair). Let's get back to basics.

There are two types of loss. The type you can visually attest to and the type you can't see at all.  What you do see, referred to as shedding, is normal.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and goes into a resting phase for 3-4 months.  The hair then resumes growing.  True hair loss is different, you don't see it.

Start by looking at the hair in your temporal areas, (corners).  Notice the caliber. Some thick, robust and full of color. Others wispy - so thin- you can't hardly see them. Some seem stunted and just don't grow.  As the follicle atrophies, the hair becomes progressively thinner until it dissipates and disappears.  Once gone, it will not return.

I find it laughable when I read, and it happens often, "I'll wait until after the procedure to start taking/using the meds."  The time to start is when you first realize there's hair loss involved. All you can save will help add density to whatever you end up doing during your lifetime.

It does you not good to start and stop the use of meds.  Not only will you go on to lose what you would have lost had you not been on the meds, you'll resume losing hair.  A waste of time, effort and expense. 

My question, Did you - at least - experience retention?  Or did you continue losing hair?  If so, stop spending and save your money.

so have you got anything to add regarding your experience with oral minoxidil at all? 🤣

Edited by Big Rome
spelling 🤣

54 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

I dont wanna offend you buddy but a lot of your posts are clearly Copy & Paste. Please tailor your answers!

• Thumbs-down 1

13 minutes ago, davidn said:

I dont wanna offend you buddy but a lot of your posts are clearly Copy & Paste. Please tailor your answers!

I write each and every post.  Yes, I understand they're often very similar - but my answer is not going to change.  Sorry you don't like it.  But regardless, my goal is to help all patients affected by this debilitating condition. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

18 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

so have you got anything to add regarding you’re experience with oral minoxidil at all? 🤣

Yes, less labor intensive.  Take a pill and walk out the door.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I started with 2.5 mg of oral Minoxidil and got amazing result in 6 months later upgraded dose to 5 mg per day...

It improved my transplanted hairs + gaps between translated hairs, huge improvement in crown area + it improved my donor area also...

Never got any result wid 1 mg oral Finasteride except very bad side effects...

Currently I take 2.5 mg oral Minoxidil twice in a day + Minoxidil booster 10 Minutes before applying Minoxidil 10% wid 0.1% Finasteride at every night...

Saw Palmetto 800 mg per day, Rotational Multivitamins + Advanced Hair growth serum having Redensyl, Procapil, Anagain, Rosemary oil and Capilia Longa...

Edited by RajSharma99
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, RajSharma99 said:

I started with 2.5 mg of oral Minoxidil and got amazing result in 6 months later upgraded dose to 5 mg per day...

It improved my transplanted hairs + gaps between translated hairs, huge improvement in crown area + it improved my donor area also...

Never got any result wid 1 mg oral Finasteride except very bad side effects...

Currently I take 2.5 mg oral Minoxidil twice in a day + Minoxidil booster 10 Minutes before applying Minoxidil 10% wid 0.1% Finasteride at every night...

Saw Palmetto 800 mg per day, Rotational Multivitamins + Advanced Hair growth serum having Redensyl, Procapil, Anagain, Rosemary oil and Capilia Longa...

Did you use topical minoxidil before the oral min?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fox243 said:

Did you use topical minoxidil before the oral min?

I am still using Topical Minoxidil 10% with 0.1% Finasteride...Started with 5% topical minoxidil 6 years ago but due to tolerance factor, it was not working properly so I added 5 mg oral Minoxidil wid it...currently I use Minoxidil booster 10 Minutes ago before applying minoxidil on scalp...

Edited by RajSharma99

I know a lot of people say oral Min has better efficacy than topical. Are the oral/topical differences for Fin just as pronounced? 

I'm currently on topical 2-in-1 Min/Fin. I'm considering oral, particularity oral Min. My provider (Keeps) doesn't offer a standalone topical Fin so I'd be moving to oral for both if I switch. 

I asked about alternating oral / topical every day (for a smooth transition and to mitigate oral sides) but they didn't recommend that.

• Like 1

Does minox booster work?

Hairloss began at age 23. 

Oral Finasteride 1mg daily since 2006, Topical Minoxidil since 2012. Hair transplant 3,400 grafts 2019. Second hair transplant 2,400 grafts in 2023. 

• 2 weeks later...