How to make Transplanted Hair Fuller Looking?

Posted (edited)

So I notice that my transplanted hair many times is dense and full. I shampoo at night, go to sleep and notice fuller hair upon waking. But this doesnt turn out full every day, sadly.

I really dont know the mechanics behind how hair behaves to make it full looking and dense. But I'd like to know what to do to make it dense looking all the time. I know theres a trick to this cuz I experience great fullness most of the time.

Can you guys give your advice on how to attain fullness all the time? The shampoo I use is good enough, so I dont want to hear any advice concerning that, with all due respect. Also, no creams, special combs, etc. either. Just looking for common sense ways to make it dense looking.

Looking forward to your help!

Edited by wpwd

• Administrators

Sea salt spray and volumizing powders.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Okay, so the first thing to realise is your hair density is fixed no matter what. So without using fibres for example to completely bulk the appearance out, there's a few other tricks you could try.

One is to try use warm air on the higher heat from a hair dryer to try and open up the hair cuticle and give it the appearance of volume with the "puffing up" effect. Usually having your hair cleaned with quality shampoo and conditioner and applying oils to help the hair looks healthy also is a good way to go.

Personally I think you shouldn't shampoo every day either, but maybe a few times per week at most unless the hair gets really dirty due to a job etc. washing with just water should be fine to clean and help keep natural oils too.

Also, if you have dry hair, I hear that using Sea Salt spray could make it look more dry, so be careful with that. There is also volumising powder to style your hair with to help with an appearance of fullness although it's not to be confused with hair fibres and I think it's recommended to wash out the product like all others afterwards at night.

Personally my number 1 recommendation if you think your shampoo, comb etc. are all in order is a high quality hair dryer. Preferably ionic like the Dyson types.

On 8/20/2024 at 5:15 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Sea salt spray and volumizing powders.

Your post blurs the website. I cant make out what you said. But thats ok dont worry

On 8/20/2024 at 8:26 PM, NARMAK said:

One is to try use warm air on the higher heat from a hair dryer to try and open up the hair cuticle and give it the appearance of volume with the "puffing up" effect. Usually having your hair cleaned with quality shampoo and conditioner and applying oils to help the hair looks healthy also is a good way to go

Yes I've actually tried this. It works. But what really works is when I shampoo my hair then go to sleep and wake up my hair looks voluminous. Very weird but true.

Sea Salt spray could make it look more dry, so be careful with that.

Wow this is the first time I read about this. But wouldnt anything with water weigh down the hair and make it flat and non-full?

There is also volumising powder to style your hair with to help with an appearance of fullness

Would you suggest a few that are good?

11 hours ago, wpwd said:

Yes I've actually tried this. It works. But what really works is when I shampoo my hair then go to sleep and wake up my hair looks voluminous. Very weird but true.

Wow this is the first time I read about this. But wouldnt anything with water weigh down the hair and make it flat and non-full?

Would you suggest a few that are good?

I don't know what shampoo you use and I think it could just be a temporary effect from maybe the shampoo that like say hair spray or styling product wanes after a while, but if it works for you, then it works is the way I see it 

Sea salt spray for some hair types like those that generally are on the more dry side apparently don't do well with the product over a longer period and it's apparently recommended to go with something more moisturising. Again, your situations maybe different and you will do fine.

I don't use volumising powder myself for styling but watched a few hair styling videos and whatnot that do show it off working well. Usually I'd try Google neutral review sites and not those getting paid to promote and whatnot for a fair comparison.

13 hours ago, Myles23 said:

My hair routine for styling it........ damp hair, apply a bit of sea salt spray, hair dyer and then pomade. Works 60% of the time, every time

Ok I'll try that routine and report back

8 hours ago, NARMAK said:

I don't know what shampoo you use and I think it could just be a temporary effect from maybe the shampoo that like say hair spray or styling product wanes after a while, but if it works for you, then it works is the way I see it 

Wrong. Its no temporary effect. It happens most days but not every day which is what I want to see happen.

Sea salt spray  it's apparently recommended to go with something more moisturising.

Wouldn't moisturizing make the hair more damp and thus less full? I think you'd defeat the purpose of achieving fullness that way. If hair becomes damp it mattes and doesnt show its potential for being full. Thats my opinion but I may be wrong since youre more experienced at this than myself.

21 minutes ago, wpwd said:

Wrong. Its no temporary effect. It happens most days but not every day which is what I want to see happen.

Wouldn't moisturizing make the hair more damp and thus less full? I think you'd defeat the purpose of achieving fullness that way. If hair becomes damp it mattes and doesnt show its potential for being full. Thats my opinion but I may be wrong since youre more experienced at this than myself.

If it doesn't happen every time and remain, then it's temporary is what I was trying to say. You have to keep using the shampoo and even then it doesn't always happen as you said. 

I think you misunderstood the moisturising aspect. It's not designed to make the hair wet but kind of like a means to keep the moisture in the hair as long as possible. People with dry hair for example will see it begin to frizz out and whatnot. This helps to some degree side step that issue 

I think the best thing for you would be to find a good hair dryer, search up some styling products that give volume and invest in just practicing how to style your hair and use hair spray to "lock in" the look for as long as you can throughout the day.

Ultimately if you want to see hair look as full as a natural hairline, the only other way is a further hair transplant for added density.