No Shave Transplants

How come some people get no shave transplant but most get a full shave?

A full shave is one of the most inconvenient discomforts that most people must face for surgery.

What are the criteria involved for No Shave Patients?

• Valued Contributor
11 hours ago, Rossybop said:

What are the criteria involved for No Shave Patients?

Really comes down to where grafts are being implanted and how much space/hair loss is in that area. The more available space to implant within existing native hair the better for no-shave sessions.

However, always better to shave down. Surgeons can get better access and be more precise in their graft placement. Not sure why this would be any great discomfort... it's just a temporary buzz cut at the end of the day and a lot of patients are indeed quite curious to see how their transplanted hair looks at tighter lengths.

14 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Really comes down to where grafts are being implanted and how much space/hair loss is in that area. The more available space to implant within existing native hair the better for no-shave sessions.

However, always better to shave down. Surgeons can get better access and be more precise in their graft placement. Not sure why this would be any great discomfort... it's just a temporary buzz cut at the end of the day and a lot of patients are indeed quite curious to see how their transplanted hair looks at tighter lengths.

I don't fancy a full shave myself. Doesn't look good on me and takes 5 months to grow it back.

I see on Saifi's website some patients have no shave procedures.

I emailed him asking about the possibility of a no shave but he hasn't replied (yet).

• Valued Contributor
41 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

I don't fancy a full shave myself. Doesn't look good on me and takes 5 months to grow it back.

I see on Saifi's website some patients have no shave procedures.

I emailed him asking about the possibility of a no shave but he hasn't replied (yet).

Why would you choose to make the surgeons’ life harder and potentially compromise your results for the sake of 5 months of perceived inconvenience? That 5 months of your life is a drop in the ocean compared to the next 50 years that you’d expect to be around. 

Just take it on the chin and get on with it. 

The difference between a shaved and a non-shaved procedure is subtle but important. If the only thing that matters is the final results from a single, standalone surgery, then yes, a non-shave procedure can likely yield results close to those of a shaved procedure, in the right hands.

However, there are a few other objective measures where a non-shave procedure will be inferior:

A) Both partial and full transections will be higher with a non-shave procedure.

B) The size of the punch used for extraction will be larger with a non-shave procedure. For example, if you are extracting from a shaved head with a 0.85 mm punch, that same patient may require a 0.95 mm punch for a non-shave procedure.

C) The collateral damage in both the donor and recipient areas will be greater with a non-shave procedure.

A patient should carefully consider all the less obvious factors mentioned above before deciding whether to proceed with a non-shave or a fully shaved FUE procedure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bhumik Shah MD said:

The difference between a shaved and a non-shaved procedure is subtle but important. If the only thing that matters is the final results from a single, standalone surgery, then yes, a non-shave procedure can likely yield results close to those of a shaved procedure, in the right hands.

However, there are a few other objective measures where a non-shave procedure will be inferior:

A) Both partial and full transections will be higher with a non-shave procedure.

B) The size of the punch used for extraction will be larger with a non-shave procedure. For example, if you are extracting from a shaved head with a 0.85 mm punch, that same patient may require a 0.95 mm punch for a non-shave procedure.

C) The collateral damage in both the donor and recipient areas will be greater with a non-shave procedure.

A patient should carefully consider all the less obvious factors mentioned above before deciding whether to proceed with a non-shave or a fully shaved FUE procedure.

That's interesting. In my case I saw the opposite in practically all of those areas. I had partial shave, and practically all doctors do that rather than a true no shave.

In my first shaved procedure a .9 punch was used (and 1.0 in some areas).

In my second non shaved procedure a .8 punch was used.

The non shaved procedure;

- Used a manual punch. My donor area was shaved but signs of surgery were not present after about 10 days.

- Saw great coverage for the grafts used. I would say transection rate was subjectivity similar to the shaved procedure.

- numbness of the scalp lasted 3 days with the unshaven procedure and about a month with the shaven procedure 

- redness lasted about half the time in the unshaven procedure.

Having had both, if I had a 3rd surgery it would likely be partially shaven again. I would be interested in hearing the view of others that also had both types of surgery. Otherwise you end up with an echo chamber of people recommending what they did with no ability to know what the other type of surgery would have been like for them.

Edited by BackFromTheBrink
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

That's interesting. In my case I saw the opposite in practically all of those areas. I had partial shave, and practically all doctors do that rather than a true no shave.

- Used a manual punch. My donor area was shaved but signs of surgery were not present after about 10 days.

- Saw great coverage for the grafts used. I would say transection rate was subjectivity similar to the shaved procedure.

- numbness of the scalp lasted 3 days with the unshaven procedure and about a month with the shaven procedure 

Having had both, if I had a 3rd surgery it would likely be partially shaven again. I would be interested in hearing the view of others that also had both types of surgery. Otherwise you end up with an echo chamber of people recommending what they did with no ability to know what the other type of surgery would have been like for them.

Very good. I'd be much happier with a partial shave myself.

I would prefer a no-shave or at least partial shave option too. I can cope with having a peaky blinders hairstyle for a while but I've never been bald in my life and don't particularly want to start now since I would prefer to undergo the procedure discreetly if at all possible.

If you have a surgeon who is experienced at doing it and is confident he can do it without compromising on quality then why not? 

22 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

May I ask which doctor(s) you used for your non-shaved procedures?

• Valued Contributor
On 8/24/2024 at 3:55 AM, Bhumik Shah MD said:

This ^

• Moderators

Some of the USA Drs routinely do not shave the recipient area, but you'll need the donor area shaved. I think the 3 Drs listed below prefer to NOT shave the recipient area

Dr Robert Dorin 

Dr Bernardino Arocha

Dr Carlos Wesley

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

25 minutes ago, Al - Moderator said:

Some of the USA Drs routinely do not shave the recipient area, but you'll need the donor area shaved. I think the 3 Drs listed below prefer to NOT shave the recipient area

Dr Robert Dorin 

Dr Bernardino Arocha

Dr Carlos Wesley

Prefer to not shave? Why would they prefer to not shave? I know these three can do no shave but have never heard of preferring it. I had mine done with Wesley who I knew could do no shave but I shaved anyway because I wanted the best possible outcome. His response was “perfect. That’s great” when he asked which I would do.