Question about ideal Density (cm2) for a new hairline. Need help deciding between Patty or Georgiou.

Hi all,

After much research, I think I have narrowed my search for a HT surgeon down to 2 candidates- Dr Patty in Thailand and Dr Michalis Georgiou in Cyprus.

The main difference between what they are offering me is the density of the hairline. Patty has quoted a more conservative 45cm2 which seems roughly in line with the industry standard. She said in my consultation that this is sufficient for aesthetic purposes, although my scalp may be visible in very harsh lighting. Is there a risk that the end result may be unnatural looking if the hair on my temples is sparser than in the middle of my hairline?

Georgiou has offered me a much more aggressive approach and said he will implant at 70cm2 for the first cm and 50cm2 behind it. This sounds great on paper, as you would assume that more is always better when it comes to density. However, I've read on forums like this one that if the grafts are too densely packed it can cause issues with blood circulation and shock loss. 70cm2 seems very high so I'm a bit concerned that this might be a risk.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I never understood the fascination with a high density hairline. Those are thicker hairs than your native edge hairs anyway, and you end up with a wig like look

I removed exactly that kind of hairline (1cm high density), it felt awfully stiff and even pulled at my skin. So happy it's gone

• Like 1

Two successful repairs (pluggy hairline removal + donor restoration) with Dr Ball - The Maitland Clinic

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/72766-pluggy-hairline-removal-donor-restocking-2-repairs-with-dr-ball-maitland-clinic/

• Valued Contributor

Personally I’d want a “less is more” approach on the first pass. You always have the option to increase density later on with much less risk attached to it than shooting for close to native densities right away. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

I agree with the two posts above and I will add that placing too many grafts in front may leave your donor area with not enough grafts left to cover any additional hair loss over the years.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.