FUE Transplantat an option for me?

Hey together,

i'm 30 years old and a Norwood 3 i'd say?

All in all i think my donor is not that bad, but i have some retrogade aloepcia above my ears (one side is way worse comapared to the other) and at the back of my head.

I've tried to take fin 2 times already (1 mg/day). The first time for 3 months and the second time (1 year later) for 7 months. But i had to quit both times, because i recognized sexual side effects. The side effects disappeared in 2-3 weeks completely after taking the last pill.

My hair loss is moving slow forward (recognized my receeding hair line the first time by 24).

Do you think a fue transplant would be an option to me. Im very insecure, because of the missing meds plus the retrograde alopecia..

IMG_20240827_232457.thumb.jpg.03814e0531886bee97eacc60d08add03.jpgIMG_20240827_232709.thumb.jpg.f578a3d130e59ad636cd847f1456e711.jpgIMG_20240827_232603.thumb.jpg.f4cf953ce2a9c9c85bc383785ada8a81.jpgIMG_20240827_232457.thumb.jpg.03814e0531886bee97eacc60d08add03.jpg

IMG_20240827_232546.thumb.jpg.f637e1c5d5b3b89808e7ceb7e7a1f8e0.jpg

• Valued Contributor

Are you saying you managed to last 7 months on finasteride and then developed sides but were fine for that 7 months, or were you powering through the sides for 7 months and then dropped it?

If the former then it suggests some level of tolerance and it might be worth giving lower doses a try, such as 0.5 mg three days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri). That might be enough to stave off the side effects whilst still offering an avenue to slowing your hair loss progression.

In terms of FUE... It really depends on where you hair loss is heading versus what your donor resources can facilitate. How is you Dad's hair loss? The retrograde might not be a problem is you're not destined to reach a higher norwood level. In any case, it might be worth exploring FUT if you do go down the surgical route as it will help to maximise your donor.

Echo what Berba11 said above with medication. You could also try oral dutasteride 1-2x/week or topical dutasteride 0.1% 1-2x per week. Lot of people who can't tolerate finasteride can tolerate dutasteride just fine. You can also look into KX-826. Exhaust all options before giving up.

Oral min is also a no brainer.

Posted (edited)

@Berba11 I powered through the 7 months and hoped the sides will fade away because some users have been describing this, but they did not.

My dad is a Norwood 5, but with no retrograde alopecia. He is 63 years old and his complete donor looks perfect. So im not sure if i'll follow his hair loss pattern. Also he began to lose his hair slowly with 34-35 years+ i'd say.

@4chanhrn I am from germany and the perscription for dutasteride and oral minoxidil is not easy to get for hair loss. And im asking myself also if oral minox is good as a permanent treatment? Because it does not inhib dht.

I also know KX-826 and i would really give it a try. But i think its too early for this right now. Especially because kintor hast stolen progress pics from an HT clinic and sold them as progress for Pyri..it's not looking trustworthy at all tbh.

Thank you both for your replies!

Edited by Peanut77

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Peanut77 said:

@Berba11 I powered through the 7 months and hoped the sides will fade away because some users have been describing this, but they did not.

My dad is a Norwood 5, but with no retrograde alopecia. He is 63 years old and his complete donor looks perfect. So im not sure if i'll follow his hair loss pattern. Also he began to lose his hair slowly with 34-35 years+ i'd say.

@4chanhrn I am from germany and the perscription for dutasteride and oral minoxidil is not easy to get for hair loss. And im asking myself also if oral minox is good as a permanent treatment? Because it does not inhib dht.

I also know KX-826 and i would really give it a try. But i think its too early for this right now. Especially because kintor hast stolen progress pics from an HT clinic and sold them as progress for Pyri..it's not looking trustworthy at all tbh.

Thank you both for your replies!

Since you're in Germany have you tried Alfatradiol as your topical anti-androgen? Seems like more evidence of efficacy than Pyrilutamide and it's pretty popular there no? I'm about to add it to my own stack and I chose it over KX-826 even though I could get KX here more easily (USA)

As far as oral minox goes, nobody really knows what the mechanism of action is. It does seem to inhibit some DHT, increase vascularization, open potassium channels etc. There's no definitive answer for how it works exactly but it does work, it's just not as good as a solo treatment long term. It will also make your beard thicker, which for me was a plus. Even if you don't care about growing your beard out, those hairs as the best transplant hairs other than your scalp and they seem to be permanent if you use minox long enough (they might not disappear even if you stop if you've been taking minox for ~2+ years)

Edited by SeekingStubble

1 hour ago, Peanut77 said:

@SeekingStubble Hey,thank you for your answer. I just informed myself a bit about ell cranell. Do you think it would be potent enough as solo anti hair loss routine? It's casually used for female hair loss, but i'd give it a try.

In my opinion, no it's not enough on its own for male AGA. If I recall correctly, men have much more of the 5a-reductase enzyme in their scalp, so blocking its activity is much more important for men than women. That's probably why the studies on Alfatradiol were all done on women - they knew the results would be less impressive for men. Alfatradiol only reduces DHT indirectly, by getting rid of Testosterone itself in the scalp through tricking it into aromatizing (It's basically a fake estradiol isomer which doesn't have any feminizing effects). The reason I'm gonna take it as an adjunct is because I'm worried all the 5ar-blockers will spike my scalp testosterone which can also cause hair loss, and since it has a totally separate mechanism of action than 5ar blockers it can only help. If you can't tolerate even topical finasteride then maybe try some strong topical 5ar blocking herbal serums that include Saw Palmetto etc, it will still be MUCH weaker than Finasteride but better than nothing