Ttransplant Produced Wavy, Frizzy Hair.. What Can I Do?

Hi everyone. I had a transplant 9 months ago for my straight hair and it came out nice except that it came out wavy and a bit frizzy. Will this grow out in time? How how I fix it?

Can you upload some pictures?

It tends to soften and becomes straighter over time, even 18-24 months postop. However, it is not the same for everyone.

The only way to fix the appeareance (not the whole issue itself) is by using softening products (conditioner, masks...) on a regular basis, a hair straightener or keratine treatments.

is your donor hair wavy and frizzy? If so, then it will remain that way

if your donor hair is straight - if the surgeon correctly implanted the hair - then it may or may not return to its straight style. Not to be a downer but I would give up hope of this happening after 1 yr

if your donor hair is straight and your hair is like conspicuously, significantly wavy, then the surgeon may have implanted the hair incorrectly. But.....you say you like the result still....so that is interesting

Please provide pictures as all anyone can do is blindly speculate and guess without seeing your actual hair. 

• Moderators

Some people tend to have curlier or wavier hair in the back  of their head, so when that gets transplanted it may turn out wavier than what was there naturally. However usually most of the kinky/wavy hair that first grows in after a hair transplant will soften and straighten out over 18 months or so.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 8/29/2024 at 5:56 AM, Al - Moderator said:

Some people tend to have curlier or wavier hair in the back  of their head, so when that gets transplanted it may turn out wavier than what was there naturally. However usually most of the kinky/wavy hair that first grows in after a hair transplant will soften and straighten out over 18 months or so.

Hi there. So I tried to wet my hair and then fitted a tight knitted cap on my head for 2 hours. I took the cap off and the hairs became straight. But the next day, after I shampooed, the hairs reverted to being kinky. What do you suggest?

• Moderators

You may just need to wait longer to see if it improves. It could take 18 months. If you're at 9 months now, then at least wait until the 12 month point and see if it is any better. Hair transplants take at least 12 months to mature even if all the growth is there several months before that.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 9/1/2024 at 6:51 AM, Al - Moderator said:

You may just need to wait longer to see if it improves. It could take 18 months. If you're at 9 months now, then at least wait until the 12 month point and see if it is any better. Hair transplants take at least 12 months to mature even if all the growth is there several months before that.

Ok no problem. Thanks

swm