Weight loss, haircuts timeline post transplant, and more.

Hello, I've posted here before and have zeroed in on a couple of surgeons for my transplant in November in India. I have put on a lot of weight in the last couple of years due to poor habits and side effects of steroidal medicines for an issue with my eye. I am currently in the process of losing weight and I know that I shouldn't work out for a few days. But I wanted to get some advice on specific things.

1. How long before you can start working out? How long before you start lifting weights?
2. How long before you can start playing sports? Football, cricket?
3. How long before you can go swimming?
4. How long before you can have sex? 
5. How can my results be altered based on weight loss? What should be my approach to that weight loss journey.
6. When can I start getting haircuts? Any restrictions to the types of haircuts?

Would appreciate some advice on this and any more tips this community might have.

Edited by FlushRojThing
Adding more

• FlushRojThing changed the title to Weight loss, haircuts timeline post transplant, and more.
  • Valued Contributor

@FlushRojThing the best thing is to ask these questions with your surgeon pre op as surgeons vary with their answers. I'm not a doctor but if you are having FUE you should be fine to work out one week after (others will state longer and if it's FUT I would wait three months at least). Sex should be fine by a week after. Sports and swimming I would wait longer as their is a risk of your grafts being bumped. You could get a hair cut two to three months after surgery. The main thing is to respect the grafts before 7-10 days and to allow your scalp to fully heal which in reality can take months but should be fine after two months. Again I would run this by your surgeon. Wishing you all the best with your surgery.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Sorry I forgot to mention re: weight loss. After I had my third and final surgery in February I went on the carnivore diet. Look it up. After the first two weeks of being on the carnivore diet I lost 9kg. I also starting working out again about six months ago.

• Like 1

• Moderators

1. How long before you can start working out? How long before you start lifting weights?

Light workouts after a week to 10 days. Heavy weights after at least 2 weeks.

2. How long before you can start playing sports? Football, cricket?

Depends on the sport, but generally I'd say 1 month minimum.

3. How long before you can go swimming?

Several months. Probably at least 6 months.

4. How long before you can have sex? 

Roughly 5 days. Once the grafts are secure and any swelling is gone.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.