When I completed my 1st HT surgery in the 1990s at Bosley Medical, I noticed that lots of people would stare at my head-esp during a business meeting, or while on a date.  This was embarrassing.

For high NW patients-- that have used doctors such as Dr. Sethi, Dr. Pittella, and Dr. Zarev.  After your new hair totally grew in:  Do people sometimes stare at your head due to the grafts being noticeable?  

The Pittella, Zarev, Sethi patients I've spoken to seem extremely pleased with their HTs.  * Are HTs from such doctors now at a point where virtually no one can tell a high NW had work done?  Just wondering - that's all.

Edited by Approach

• Valued Contributor

I'm not aware of people staring at my hair except for a few friends who know I had the procedure. I work with a couple of very gossipy people and trust me if they knew they would come straight up and ask me. I had SMP and a buzzed head for several years before my first repair/surgery with Dr Sethi. I began wearing a cap a month before my surgery everyday. After the surgery when I returned home and when it was time to go back to work I kept wearing the cap. No one had any idea that I had anything done. They thought I must have just grown my hair out (from the SMP). The same after my second procedure a year later. I returned with a buzzed head. 👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I'm not aware of people staring at my hair except for a few friends who know I had the procedure. I work with a couple of very gossipy people and trust me if they knew they would come straight up and ask me. I had SMP and a buzzed head for several years before my first repair/surgery with Dr Sethi. I began wearing a cap a month before my surgery everyday. After the surgery when I returned home and when it was time to go back to work I kept wearing the cap. No one had any idea that I had anything done. They thought I must have just grown my hair out (from the SMP). The same after my second procedure a year later. I returned with a buzzed head. 👍

Gatsby-  thanks.  Makes sense. Interesting points you made about wearing a baseball cap before procedure.

As I reflect on my HT experience 25 yrs ago, I now realize I was at a hair Mill, and my results turned out quite ugly.  So, I have a touch of PSTD.  Fortunately, a second procedure cleaned things up a bit.  When I overlook that first experience, I'm totally fine.

It's super encouraging that people don't notice you had work done (except close friends, of course).  As you know, punch sizes are smaller than in the 1990's; other techniques have improved dramatically; and FUE wasn't even an option back then!  So, I now realize comparing my 1995 HT to a 2024 HT from Dr. Pittella/Sethi/Zarev is night & day.  These points alone create a more natural result these days.  Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by Approach

• Moderators

As someone who had hair transplants in the late 1980s and early 90s I fully understand the stares from people. 

There are two major differences these days. One is that transplanted hairlines today are nowhere near as pluggy and unnatural looking as those old transplants were. Two is that so many people are having hair transplants these days.  It’s much more acceptable to have one. If someone does notice you had one these days it’s not anywhere near as unusual so there isn’t as many stares from people wondering what happened. 

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.