Looking for comments and recommendations

Hello, like every other person (male/female) experiencing hair loss I am trying to undue what time and genetics took away. I am 59 turning 60, in great physical shape and plan to stick around a while and I would like to look as good as I can as long as I can. Hell, my 82 year old dad still has a full thick head of hair. My mom's dad didn't. When he passed in his 80's his hairline went back another 1-2". I don't know if that adage hair loss stems from the maternal side of the gene but it appears to be so in my case.

I started reading online reviews that lead me to Istanbul. I found several hair clinics in Turkey, mostly from YouTube and internet searching, that I thought were top performers. Of those I found only one was noted on this site. That discovery made me stop and rethink what research I had been doing since this site seems to be where the subject matter experts are in this field. I've included some photos of my current hair line. This is a gradual loss of hair over almost 60 years on earth. I'd like my hair line to be reversed to look like it did when 'I was in my mid-late 30's. Am I out of line, expecting too much, too old? I'm divorced and I've told no one about this desire to get this done. Too many naysayers in my circle of friends and family.

Ive attached a few recent photos. 

I have already sent out consultation requests to doctors Pittella, Bicer, Yaman and Ahmad. I am even considering Thailand and Vietnam.

Yes overall price will influence my decision but so will the time frame and input from this community.

So I thank you in advance and welcome, welcome, welcome any and all responses, positive and even negative. In response I will let this community follow me through this start to finish.

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4644.jpeg

IMG_4639.jpeg

IMG_4631.jpeg

IMG_4632.jpeg

IMG_4633.jpeg

Edited by cdalee440
update pics

• Valued Contributor

Hey @cdalee440 you're rocking a great head of hair for 60 and you're never too old for a hair transplant. I'm 57 and it has changed my lifestyle to dieting and working out now consistently. Yes it's imperative that you do your research. Of the couple of thousand of hair mills in Turkey I could count the safe ones on pretty much one hand. Don't be scammed by cheap prices, guarantees and slick marketing. The elite surgeons have a 6 months plus waiting list for a reason. Take your time and have a look at the recommended surgeons on the forum and have a look at patient posted results to get an honest opinion. All the best!

• Valued Contributor
1 minute ago, cdalee440 said:

One more thing, I spoke to a pharmacist and he suggested and I am now taking, for the past 3 weeks, finasteride along with the minoxidil I have already been using.

Excellent. I forgot to mention this. Finasteride will strengthen your hair including your donor. It may even potentially help you grow back a little hair that has miniaturized in areas like the crown.

34 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Excellent. I forgot to mention this. Finasteride will strengthen your hair including your donor. It may even potentially help you grow back a little hair that has miniaturized in areas like the crown.

Im glad you commented on that. to be clear while my pharmacist recommended finasteride he would not give it to me without a doctors prescription. So I did what I did back in the military, I improvised. I drove to a reputable pharmacy in Algodones Mexico and bought it.

Im taking 1mg per day and may increase it up to 5mg per. My pharmacist suggested I start at a lower dose for a few months to see if there are any negative reactions. 

• Valued Contributor

1mg of Finasteride per day is the recommended prescribed dose by GP’s. I don’t know if you will see improved benefits necessarily by increasing this dose. However you may see increased side effects at 5mg per day. Also you need to give Finasteride a year to see how you respond. The drug’s benefit peaks at two years. Many people taking the drug see benefits by six months. It may also cause an initial shed at first but if so this will pass. All the best. 

On 9/2/2024 at 9:38 PM, Gatsby said:

1mg of Finasteride per day is the recommended prescribed dose by GP’s. I don’t know if you will see improved benefits necessarily by increasing this dose. However you may see increased side effects at 5mg per day. Also you need to give Finasteride a year to see how you respond. The drug’s benefit peaks at two years. Many people taking the drug see benefits by six months. It may also cause an initial shed at first but if so this will pass. All the best. 

Thank you Gatsby sir. My pharmacist is still quite young (I'll be 60) and he does have great hair and stated he doesn't use hair growth products so I'll value your opinion and experience on this over his and stick with a 1mg dose. 

Now if I can just get the Dr's to respond to my inquiries. 

• Moderators

You look like you have a very good donor area in the back of your head.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.