Receding hairline (back of head)

I forget what it's called but the back of my head has a receding hairline.  It doesn't bother me me too much, but I'm curious to learn more. 

My question is:  "Generally speaking," when  a NW 7 patient has this condition, does the surgeon still aim to implant a full head of hair?  I'm asking b/c I don't want to waste implants into the rear of my receding hairline.  Any thoughts?  Ty!

Screenshot_20240906-125842_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Approach

It's called retrograde alopecia and it is of concern as it could imply that your "safe donor zone" is receding also. Since hair restoration is built upon the concept of donor dominance this could have significant implications in that if hairs were took from this yet to recede area, they could continue to thin out over time in their respective transplanted recipient areas.

Of course this problem is less likely with age and it is possible you have "reached" your final recession zone for the donor, but nobody can say for sure.

Put it this way if you underwent a FUE procedure 15/20 years (hypothetically assuming FUE was possible then) and hairs were took from your lower back of the head, those hairs would almost definitely have thinned by now.

DHT blockers may help stop the progression of this recession but not sure if you are willing to consider meds at your age? 

Edited by Ccd99
  • Like 1
  • Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - see link below for more info
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - 3200 grafts to frontal third and partial mid-scalp - link to thread
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - May 2025 -  - 2500-3000 grafts to remainder of mid-scalp and crown + touch-up

• Administrators

I believe you're going to Pittella. He tends to implant as much as possible. You see what he did with the impossible case; that donor looked much worse than yours. Having retrograde alopecia reduces the amount of grafts you have available, but it doesn't mean you're not a candidate.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

It sounds like you are asking if the Dr will fill in that area. They can fill it, but of course, as you said, it's going to use up a lot of grafts that you may want elsewhere instead. That's fine. If the area isn't bothering you then just tell them not to put any there unless they fill in everything else and have some grafts left over.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.