OFFICIAL Verteporfin Hair Loss Cure *Mega Thread

Melvin- Admin

1 hour ago, Ricco said:

Lol, that's a bit of a weird piece of advice. You're literally in a Verteporfin thread telling someone to move on from Verteporfin.

Hes not a Doctor or scientist, so just because its not working for him doesn’t mean much of anything.  

• Like 3

Let's not demand too much from Kilian, he shared his story and at least thanks to him we know that even huge doses of verteporfin are safe to use.

@Killian may I ask what was the mg/ml concentration you used ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steele114 said:

Hes not a Doctor or scientist, so just because its not working for him doesn’t mean much of anything.  

The injection is a very simple procedure, and in this regard, the top surgeon is no different from the recent graduate intern. There is no need to believe in authority. People believe what they want to believe. In fact, Dr Bloxham's results do not tell us anything.

I really hope we hear something soon. 

@DrTBarghouthi advised he was meeting his test subject at the beginning of last month. 

I think I speak for everybody when I say I would rather see disappointing results and our hopes tempered than this torturous anticipation.  🤣

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 1:17 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

As you know, yesterday I interviewed @DrTBarghouthi to date, Dr. Barghouthi is the only physician testing Verteporfin in the field of surgical hair restoration. Verteporfin is a drug that prevents the pathway to scarring, specifically Engrailed-1 fibroblasts. Scars lack hair and sebaceous glands, and other dermal appendages such as the hair matrix and dermal papilla necessary for hair growth. Verteporfin aims to treat scarring by treating these three key factors, promoting regrowth of dermal matrix structures and appendages (normal skin and hair follicle growth). 

Here's an article  with the research that has been done at Stanford University using Vertoporfin on mice.

Here is a quote from the study:

"The results were astounding, Longaker said. The healed skin looked completely normal. “There must be three things for wound healing to be true skin regeneration,” Longaker said. “The skin needs to have normal hair follicles and glands, it needs to have a normal appearance under a microscope, and it needs to be just as strong as normal skin.”

“The first thing we were shocked by was the all the hair in the healed wound,” he said. “We were also able to see normal glands and showed that the skin was just as strong as unwounded skin.”

Now, we have to be realistic. I'm cynical when it comes to hair loss regeneration. I'm optimistic, but wait to see how the trial on humans go, but even if 25% of the hair follicles grow back, this would increase the number of lifetime grafts DRAMATICALLY. If you have a donor capacity of 8,000 grafts, that would bump you up to the 10,000 number. 

I have attached the photos from the most recent photos from the study. This thread will be updated by @DrTBarghouthi as the results come in. 

16cd4347-8908-457c-b6bd-3907ae6e31c1.JPG

24d50f22-f7d2-4bbf-bf8d-850383aaafb6.JPG

5a7bbabb-2808-455f-922f-6b0155bfe15c.JPG

Great write-up.  I appreciate the info.

2 hours ago, bigmistake said:

Whatever happened to Dr Bisanga's verteporfin trial.

I was recently at Dr Bisanga, I asked him in person and his employee in regards to a verteporfin trail. 

His employee said out right that there are no plans for it and that the qoute was misunderstood.

And I asked Dr. Bisanga in person about it. But he sook his head about it and also refused to give a direct comment about it... So yea I think it won't be happening and find the situation a bit odd. 

For now we should be waiting for Dr. Barghouthi, I guess. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lets_help_others said:

I was recently at Dr Bisanga, I asked him in person and his employee in regards to a verteporfin trail. 

His employee said out right that there are no plans for it and that the qoute was misunderstood.

And I asked Dr. Bisanga in person about it. But he sook his head about it and also refused to give a direct comment about it... So yea I think it won't be happening and find the situation a bit odd. 

For now we should be waiting for Dr. Barghouthi, I guess. 

That’s frustrating. He was pretty clear that he wanted to do a trial which he expected to start in august and he wanted to make the trial extremely rigorous. There’s nothing wrong with denying to try Verteporfin (as Dr. Mittal) did but it’s not cool to suggest you’ll try Verteporfin and then just say that people misinterpreted their comment lol. 

1 hour ago, Fox243 said:

That’s frustrating. He was pretty clear that he wanted to do a trial which he expected to start in august and he wanted to make the trial extremely rigorous. There’s nothing wrong with denying to try Verteporfin (as Dr. Mittal) did but it’s not cool to suggest you’ll try Verteporfin and then just say that people misinterpreted their comment lol. 

It is the same pattern as with dr. Mohebi and I think many of the other docs that Melvin spoke to: Sceptic at first, then agree to a trial just to be never heard of again. 

What could be the reason for pulling out when push comes to shove? Maybe afraid for legal consequences if something does go wrong or so?

1 hour ago, Fox243 said:

This makes me appreciate Dr. Barghouthis efforts even more

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Square1 said:

It is the same pattern as with dr. Mohebi and I think many of the other docs that Melvin spoke to: Sceptic at first, then agree to a trial just to be never heard of again. 

What could be the reason for pulling out when push comes to shove? Maybe afraid for legal consequences if something does go wrong or so?

I have to say that I am quite new to this space of hairlose research.

But it seems that people only want to annouce good news. And moment when it isn't people / companies either disappear or go completly radio silent on it.

Which I find rather strange. With most researchis it is expected that it will not succeed. For example: the cost are greater then expected, you can't find enough resources for the trails or you can't find enough people to take place in the trails.

Which are al valid reasons for not conducting or stopping the research. But I what I dislike is not clearly informing the public that you will either not or stop the research.

A specially once you annouced it.

Edited by Lets_help_others

1 hour ago, Square1 said:

Because it doesn't sound very promising, nor does the current experimental results. It is very difficult to regenerate human organs, even skin, and many scientists have tried for decades to regulate these complex molecular biological processes by various sophisticated means, but have come up with nothing. And now all of a sudden someone tells you that all it takes is a small molecule drug to suppress a pathway, which sounds like the President Xi pulled people together through a depression with no economic means but emotional speeches.
As for our current experiment, Dr Braghouthi's first result could just be individual resting follicles that were already there. Dr Bloxham's results, without a before-and-after comparison, were fatally flawed, and could simply be due to the shape of the scar itself or the way the hair was combed. And Killian says it doesn't work.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, uuuzi said:

Because it doesn't sound very promising, nor does the current experimental results. It is very difficult to regenerate human organs, even skin, and many scientists have tried for decades to regulate these complex molecular biological processes by various sophisticated means, but have come up with nothing. And now all of a sudden someone tells you that all it takes is a small molecule drug to suppress a pathway, which sounds like the President Xi pulled people together through a depression with no economic means but emotional speeches.
As for our current experiment, Dr Braghouthi's first result could just be individual resting follicles that were already there. Dr Bloxham's results, without a before-and-after comparison, were fatally flawed, and could simply be due to the shape of the scar itself or the way the hair was combed. And Killian says it doesn't work.

Actually Harvard scientists proved that blocking YAP results in skin regeneration. The question is how effective is verteporfin in blocking YAP and what is the best dose and delivery mechanism.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, uuuzi said:

You point out that the results that we currently have may look better because of other factors than verteporfin. Well, exactly for that reason, we hope that more research is conducted so that we can (or can not) eliminate the variables that you mention.

Also, it makes me wonder why you are even wasting your time in this thread if you think the results so far are not promising.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lets_help_others said:

I have to say that I am quite new to this space of hairlose research.

But it seems that people only want to annouce good news. And moment when it isn't people / companies either disappear or go completly radio silent on it.

Which I find rather strange. With most researchis it is expected that it will not succeed. For example: the cost are greater then expected, you can't find enough resources for the trails or you can't find enough people to take place in the trails.

Which are al valid reasons for not conducting or stopping the research. But I what I dislike is not clearly informing the public that you will either not or stop the research.

A specially once you annouced it.

Just speculation, but I think the interview with dr. Mittal is quite insightful about safety and possible legal ramifications if it does go wrong. He describes himself as a "maverick", but appararently sees a trial with vp as a bridge too far. This might be true for other docs as well. It would be very insightful if @Melvin- Admin could tell something about the status of dr. Miln, dr. Behnam and others that expressed interest.

Also it might rationally make sense that other docs are doing trials, but don't disclose them publicly. If it does work well, you get the knowledge but your competition doesn't. Sounds appealing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Square1 said:

Essentially this. It's still very hard to get Dutasteride on prescription in Europe. I am guessing Dr Basinga said yes, somewhat under pressure. When he had time to think about it,  he perhaps thought it wasn't worth the risk. We can hardly fault the man for that. 

5 hours ago, Lets_help_others said:

When you create a demand for something there will always be a supply. This is why you can buy RU55841, a 40 year old abandoned research chemical with relative ease. We just need to create that demand with more promising results.  Dr Bloxham's latest result has caught many eyes, if we can see some success with Dr. Barghouthi trial the interest will likely sky rocket. 

Edited by Dragonsphere
  • Like 1

We know who the real ones are. Bravery in the medical field is just as uncommon as it is in society at large. It appears that some physicians may use the interviews for self-promotion rather than genuinely committing to any trials.

Dr. Barghouthi and Dr. Bloxham: 
"This seems promising. I'm willing to do the trials."

Other doctors: 
"The hair growth through the scar could simply be transected hairs coincidentally growing through the Verteporfin-injected areas."

"I'm a maverick, but I'm very scared of using Verteporfin in the skin since it has only been approved for the eyes."

8 hours ago, sansi said:

Actually Harvard scientists proved that blocking YAP results in skin regeneration. The question is how effective is verteporfin in blocking YAP and what is the best dose and delivery mechanism.

No they didnt. Those are just mices and pigs. Humans are far more complex than these animals, and human hair follicles are very different even from monkeys. This means that there may be a larger biochemical mechanism regulating its growth, otherwise we would have been cured by HMI-115.

9 hours ago, Square1 said:

You point out that the results that we currently have may look better because of other factors than verteporfin. Well, exactly for that reason, we hope that more research is conducted so that we can (or can not) eliminate the variables that you mention.

Also, it makes me wonder why you are even wasting your time in this thread if you think the results so far are not promising.

The current results are not optimistic does not prevent me from wanting to observe and try it. I'm actually preparing my own private experiment.

Rationally, going from 0 to 1 is always difficult and fails most of the time. It still has potential, but it's nothing like the hype. There are no results so far that it works, and people here are too emotional.

If you watch Dr Bloxham's videos carefully, he talks more about the change from scars to normal skin than hair follicles. When it comes to the topic of hair follicle regeneration, his words are always conservative. His experiment was also not designed to look at hair follicle changes, otherwise there would have been a before-and-after comparison. These are all hints that the results are not clear, yet people often go crazy just because of a picture that may have visual errors.

This is not disrespectful. Staying sane is the best respect.

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Square1 said:

Wanting to do something vs having the time to do it. That may be the issue for some of them. When you have a year long or more waiting list of people wanting to have a hair transplant, you really don't have time to do anything other than those hair transplants. This kind of thing happens to some degree with everyone. There are plenty of things I'd like to do in my life, but I have to go to work.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

11 hours ago, Dragonsphere said:

Essentially this. It's still very hard to get Dutasteride on prescription in Europe. I am guessing Dr Basinga said yes, somewhat under pressure. When he had time to think about it,  he perhaps thought it wasn't worth the risk. We can hardly fault the man for that. 

When you create a demand for something there will always be a supply. This is why you can buy RU55841, a 40 year old abandoned research chemical with relative ease. We just need to create that demand with more promising results.  Dr Bloxham's latest result has caught many eyes, if we can see some success with Dr. Barghouthi trial the interest will likely sky rocket. 

In the cases of both dr. Bisanga and dr. Mohebi, Melvin spoke to them many times before about verteporfin and they declined to do trials in the past. This means that they have no problem saying "no" and that they knew that if they would speak to Melvin again, the topic of verteporfin would be likely to come up. So it is not that they were ambushed, didn't know how to respond and agreed because they couldn't do anything else.

It is, however, possible that they took legal advise afterwards and then decided it wasn't worth the risk. However, can't patients agree to do it on their own risk so they can't sue afterwards? Might still be shaky ground though.

44 minutes ago, Al - Moderator said:

Wanting to do something vs having the time to do it. That may be the issue for some of them. When you have a year long or more waiting list of people wanting to have a hair transplant, you really don't have time to do anything other than those hair transplants. This kind of thing happens to some degree with everyone. There are plenty of things I'd like to do in my life, but I have to go to work.

Eventually, it all comes down to money. A doctor needs time to prepare such a trial, to monitor and to evaluate it. Time is money.

If a doc could give an amount of money that he would need to compensation, that would give us a target and a sense of where we are at with him.