Recipient area scarring - how common is this?

I'm thinking of getting a transplant, but am worried about recipient area scarring (ridging, cobblestoning, etc). I know this is typically not visible with hair grown out, but if I end up shaving my head 10-20 years down the line, I don't want the top of my head butchered. Anyone have photos of their recipient area shaved 6+ months after your transplant?

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, misc1729 said:

I'm thinking of getting a transplant, but am worried about recipient area scarring (ridging, cobblestoning, etc). I know this is typically not visible with hair grown out, but if I end up shaving my head 10-20 years down the line, I don't want the top of my head butchered. Anyone have photos of their recipient area shaved 6+ months after your transplant?

@misc1729 if you have the slightest inkling to shave your head in the future do not get a hair transplant! Trust me on this. A buzzed head looks great today. You will have scars from surgery and once you are cut there is really no turning back. You will save not only thousands on surgery but also over the life span think of the money for life long medication, shampoos, etc. Think hard about surgery and do lots of research. HT's are not cheap and rarely is it a one and done surgery. All the best!

• Like 1
  • Well Done 2

I've read different opinions and I think that it really comes down to the SMP artist.

If you get it done with a cheap clinic, you might have issues down the line.  But if you get it done by one of the best e.g. Mirko (Mens Ink) then the results seem to be quite good.

don't do it buddy especially thinking this way. I have both recipient scarring and donor scars did not heal well because of my skin type. Now im stuck and don't really know what to do once hair loss progresses. Really skeptical on SMP. People are just going for it before seeing long term - I have seen cases where the ink slightly changes colour and makes the appearence look off and this done by reputable artists. If Im getting SMP ill try to opt in getting skin colour not black/grey dot pigments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@misc1729 if you have the slightest inkling to shave your head in the future do not get a hair transplant! Trust me on this. A buzzed head looks great today. You will have scars from surgery and once you are cut there is really no turning back. You will save not only thousands on surgery but also over the life span think of the money for life long medication, shampoos, etc. Think hard about surgery and do lots of research. HT's are not cheap and rarely is it a one and done surgery. All the best!

Perfectly articulated

A lot of people think of HTs as a temp solution to buy themselves 5-10 years of hair, but it's a one way street really

• Like 1

Two successful repairs (pluggy hairline removal + donor restoration) with Dr Ball - The Maitland Clinic

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/72766-pluggy-hairline-removal-donor-restocking-2-repairs-with-dr-ball-maitland-clinic/

• Moderators

I agree with the others that you should never go into a hair transplant thinking you can just shave your head later if you don't like it or if it doesn't work out. Have you ever shaved our head in the past? If not you should try that first and see if it's for you. That will give you a better idea of which way to go.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ve actually been shaving my head for the last 4 years and like how it looks. I just think I’d look a little better with hair. But maybe it’s not a good decision for me 

14 hours ago, kajl said:

don't do it buddy especially thinking this way. I have both recipient scarring and donor scars did not heal well because of my skin type. Now im stuck and don't really know what to do once hair loss progresses. Really skeptical on SMP. People are just going for it before seeing long term 

Would yo be OK sharing some pictures?

I think we're all familiar with the white dots in the donor area, but I'm curious to see how the recipient looks with a clean shave

On 9/10/2024 at 7:50 PM, Falling said:

Would yo be OK sharing some pictures?

I think we're all familiar with the white dots in the donor area, but I'm curious to see how the recipient looks with a clean shave

@Falling he has an old post on his profile. Unfortunately he got some pretty significant cobblestoning that's a lot worse than what is typical

• Like 1