Hairline after hair transplant looks very uneven/wonky

Hi everyone. Hope I'm posting in the right place. I recently had a HT done in India at a place that is rather popular on this forum. I am a Norwood VI and opted to have 2 surgeries 8 months apart, of which I recently had my first.

It seems to be growing well, but ever since I had it done I can't shake the fact the hairline looks very odd and uneven. Even when the doctor drew the hairline on I had this feeling, but trusted the process and went ahead with it. I expressed concern a few days after, but after it was looked at by the doctor, was told its fine. Due to the reputation of this clinic and me not being an expert, I decided to trust this response. I also figured one side may be more swollen than the other, or I was seeing things in the mirror that weren't as prominent irl. Now 2 and a bit months later the hairline still looks very odd and uneven. Let me end this by saying I realise a ruler straight hairline is unnatural and doesn't look good, but this is something else and looks uneven even by the preferred imperfect hairlines of a HT

Ive added pictures a few days, weeks after and currently (at 2 and a bit months). 

To me the left side looks a fair bit lower, then there's a gap to the right middle and hairline goes up a bit on the right. The left side also seems more rounded and the left side sharper in a diagonal fashion so they don't even match pattern wise. What do you guys think? Is this normal if not how can I remedy it at this point being back home. 

IMG_20240715_173238.thumb.jpg.4fa2a58869f2e4da6fc694c4fb08321e.jpgIMG_20240715_151708.thumb.jpg.a763dfe618b08b927176dceeba96a81d.jpg

IMG_20240715_151801.jpg

IMG_20240713_131332.jpg

IMG_20240729_191100.jpg

IMG_20240706_152229.jpg

IMG_20240706_151622.jpg

IMG_20240713_131332.jpg

Edited by Justlikeheaven

4 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Was this performed at Eugenix? Can you provide pics of your face with your eyes blacked out (etc) so that we can get a better idea of what's going on?

Hi, yes it was done at Eugenix. I could take a current one like that, or one done at the time? It's a bit more wispy now. They didn't provide me with the ones they took at their clinic. I feel like pictures may not show the issue as well as real life. 

• Administrators

No hairline is perfectly symmetrical. Your face has asymmetry. It’s fairly normal. If its too straight it looks odd. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Justlikeheaven said:

Hi, yes it was done at Eugenix. I could take a current one like that, or one done at the time? It's a bit more wispy now. They didn't provide me with the ones they took at their clinic. I feel like pictures may not show the issue as well as real life. 

Request all the pre-op (design stage) and post-op photos from Eugenix (they will happily send them to you).

How long was your planning/design session before the op began?

7 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Request all the pre-op (design stage) and post-op photos from Eugenix (they will happily send them to you).

How long was your planning/design session before the op began?

I'll have to do that and post again when I've got them. Hm it was literally minutes we had a chat about what could be achieved, the doctor drew the hairline first time, then pictures were taken from all angles. 

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

No hairline is perfectly symmetrical. Your face has asymmetry. It’s fairly normal. If its too straight it looks odd. 

I realise that and did mention it, but it looks uneven and wonky even for a well done HT. When I look at others' drawn on designs even with the same clinic and again just after their HT they look a lot better and not uneven and wonky in this manner. Maybe it's deliberate and something that's specific to me though and should just wait for the final result, I don't know. 

Edited by Justlikeheaven

• Valued Contributor
53 minutes ago, Justlikeheaven said:

I'll have to do that and post again when I've got them. Hm it was literally minutes we had a chat about what could be achieved, the doctor drew the hairline first time, then pictures were taken from all angles. 

Ok. I'm sorry to hear that pre-op consultations remain at the speed of light at Eugenix. Obviously without some better photos (or at least some decent selfies so we can see things in context), it's hard to give an accurate assessment of the design choices.

3 hours ago, Justlikeheaven said:

Even when the doctor drew the hairline on I had this feeling, but trusted the process and went ahead with it. I expressed concern a few days after, but after it was looked at by the doctor, was told its fine.

This resonates with me a lot because it's identical to my experience (also with Eugenix as it happens): a very quick consultation, a design that I had reservations about but went along with, and then concerns expressed about it sometime later that were somewhat dismissed (and, in fairness, there was nothing that could be done at that point anyway). I started the correction process with a different clinic last week - but you may not need any such thing at all. I will say that any elements you dislike right now will a) subside at least a little overtime when things grow out and start to take shape and b) are not permanent - they can be changed or corrected if you cannot make your peace with them in the longer run.

3 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Ok. I'm sorry to hear that pre-op consultations remain at the speed of light at Eugenix. Obviously without some better photos (or at least some decent selfies so we can see things in context), it's hard to give an accurate assessment of the design choices.

This resonates with me a lot because it's identical to my experience (also with Eugenix as it happens): a very quick consultation, a design that I had reservations about but went along with, and then concerns expressed about it sometime later that were somewhat dismissed (and, in fairness, there was nothing that could be done at that point anyway). I started the correction process with a different clinic last week - but you may not need any such thing at all. I will say that any elements you dislike right now will a) subside at least a little overtime when things grow out and start to take shape and b) are not permanent - they can be changed or corrected if you cannot make your peace with them in the longer run.

I've asked them for the pre and post op photos including the design. This might take a while as their reps are pretty slow but I'll provide these here since I think the selfies I take aren't showing the issue. May I know what your issue was with Eugenix and what you needed to be corrected? This is confirming my fear and it's not just me being paranoid. Everyone say the hairline looks fine and I don't want it straight, which is obviously the case, but I can also see it's very slapdash and uneven. I was surprised at the rate it was drawn on, just once and then we went on. I don't know how drawing hairlines is supposed to work but I expected some more accuracy. I am surprised once it was drawn on that it wasn't spotted that it looked very wonky, either they don't really care or aren't thorough enough. 

Edited by Justlikeheaven

3 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Okay I was provided with them already, I've added the ones that show it, the design and post op. I still think it's very difficult to see what I'm talking about tbh. But where I've placed the arrow in the pics, this side seems to be a fair bit higher and also "straighter" than the right side which is lower and more rounded. I would say by these pictures it looks better than it actually is though. Also in the post op pic you can see a gap where I've circled, but again it's pretty hard to see what I'm talking about in these pictures. Not sure if you or anyone else can tell me your opinion. I guess there's nothing I can do now anyway, if I go back to Eugenix they can hopefully amend it or someone else could do a revision if I go elsewhere, that's if eed it..

IMG_20240910_201039.jpg

IMG_20240910_201151.jpg

IMG_20240910_201130.jpg

IMG_20240910_201613.jpg

IMG_20240910_201507.jpg

IMG_20240910_202859.jpg

Edited by Justlikeheaven

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Justlikeheaven said:

May I know what your issue was with Eugenix and what you needed to be corrected? This is confirming my fear and it's not just me being paranoid.

I wouldn't compare my situation to yours - they're very different. My hairline was too aggressive, too broad and too linear. It needed taking back up by about 1cm or so, narrowed a little and given more irregularities. Last week I had 199 grafts punched out, and I'll have more taken out in December plus rebuilding some weaker areas of my scalp that have been the victim of further hair loss. But what I did have didn't look 'bad' by any means; just not quite right for me. Like you're finding here, it's very difficult to convey such things in photos.

Thanks for sharing better photos. As you note, it's not too obvious there's any issues from them, but I trust that you're seeing things in real life that can't be adequately conveyed in photos alone. I would say that some of my earliest concerns were tempered the more and more as my hair grew out and you're currently at a stage in the process where things don't look great generally, so any little concerns or details you're unsure of will be magnified. As your result progresses you may find that these concerns subside if not completely vanish. Certainly nothing looks to stand out as concerning from what you have shared, which if nothing else means that you aren't going to look odd to anyone even if you never fully make your peace with the design yourself.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Berba11 said:

I wouldn't compare my situation to yours - they're very different. My hairline was too aggressive, too broad and too linear. It needed taking back up by about 1cm or so, narrowed a little and given more irregularities. Last week I had 199 grafts punched out, and I'll have more taken out in December plus rebuilding some weaker areas of my scalp that have been the victim of further hair loss. But what I did have didn't look 'bad' by any means; just not quite right for me. Like you're finding here, it's very difficult to convey such things in photos.

Thanks for sharing better photos. As you note, it's not too obvious there's any issues from them, but I trust that you're seeing things in real life that can't be adequately conveyed in photos alone. I would say that some of my earliest concerns were tempered the more and more as my hair grew out and you're currently at a stage in the process where things don't look great generally, so any little concerns or details you're unsure of will be magnified. As your result progresses you may find that these concerns subside if not completely vanish. Certainly nothing looks to stand out as concerning from what you have shared, which if nothing else means that you aren't going to look odd to anyone even if you never fully make your peace with the design yourself.

That's interesting regarding your hairline-though it doesn't leave a great taste in my mouth knowing a hairline was created that needed to be fixed in that way by someone else. Was this in the New Delhi branch? And which package did you get?

That is also a very good point regarding my pov-if it isn't immediately obvious to others then it shouldn't be so much of an issue. But then again, I'm not sure how much clearer it shows in real life than photos. I know everything looks bad now but as I say, as soon as the design was drawn on and soon after it was done also, it looked uneven and wonky. I do notice that taking photos it does look better than in person and people probably wonder what I'm talking about but it's a lot more noticeable irl. I think for now I will have to just trust the process and probably convey my concerns again to Eugenix if and when I go for a second HT

• Valued Contributor
7 minutes ago, Justlikeheaven said:

That's interesting regarding your hairline-though it doesn't leave a great taste in my mouth knowing a hairline was created that needed to be fixed in that way by someone else. Was this in the New Delhi branch? And which package did you get?

That is also a very good point regarding my pov-if it isn't immediately obvious to others then it shouldn't be so much of an issue. But then again, I'm not sure how much clearer it shows in real life than photos. I know everything looks bad now but as I say, as soon as the design was drawn on and soon after it was done also, it looked uneven and wonky. I do notice that taking photos it does look better than in person and people probably wonder what I'm talking about but it's a lot more noticeable irl. I think for now I will have to just trust the process and probably convey my concerns again to Eugenix if and when I go for a second HT

My HT was three years ago with Dr Arika in New Delhi. Like I said, it didn't look bad (you can find my thread by clicking on my profile and selecting content type: topics), but like you I knew it wasn't right from the get go. A couple of surgeons that I consulted with agreed with me also.

The main ting I'm trying to convey is... Don't worry too much at this stage. Let things play out as they will and then make an assessment later. Even if you end up not liking it, it'll still look great to everyone else so you'll be able to get on with life in the meantime.

1 hour ago, Berba11 said:

My HT was three years ago with Dr Arika in New Delhi. Like I said, it didn't look bad (you can find my thread by clicking on my profile and selecting content type: topics), but like you I knew it wasn't right from the get go. A couple of surgeons that I consulted with agreed with me also.

The main ting I'm trying to convey is... Don't worry too much at this stage. Let things play out as they will and then make an assessment later. Even if you end up not liking it, it'll still look great to everyone else so you'll be able to get on with life in the meantime.

I'll try and find them. Other surgeons at Eugenix or other places? Even though it may not look odd to other people it does to me so it bugs me. Every other drawn on hairline I've seen both from Eugenix and other clinics looks a lot straighter. I guess another worry is if I ever go with a different clinic for my 2nd HT, I'll have to pay someone else to redo it. It's likely I'll go back to Eugenix though. But yeah there's nothing I can do now so I'll have to just wait it out regardless. 

Hair transplant are not and will not be perfect. I feel hair transplant is to just have hairs you can style a little bit and nobody can say your bald or balding. I am just trying to bring down your over expectations and be realistic. Just pray all your hairs grow i will call it a success. Best of luck my friend

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Shaheer said:

Hair transplant are not and will not be perfect. I feel hair transplant is to just have hairs you can style a little bit and nobody can say your bald or balding. I am just trying to bring down your over expectations and be realistic. Just pray all your hairs grow i will call it a success. Best of luck my friend

Thanks, yeah I know it won't be perfect, but in comparison to others I've seen it doesn't look right. But yes the first stage is for it to grow well I guess then I'll go from there. 

13 minutes ago, RTC said:

Agreed regarding asymmetrical hairlines looking normal, but this does not look normal or aesthetic 

You're the first person that has said this and I agree, could you maybe elaborate on why you think that? I'd appreciate it. Also do you have advice on what to do next? 

I agree the initial pictures you posted of your hairline do look a bit off, but the pictures immediately after your ht don’t look odd to me.

It might just be a case of letting it grow out a bit and see how it looks in a few months once you can style it better then reassess.

good luck

4 minutes ago, WhiteyUK said:

I agree the initial pictures you posted of your hairline do look a bit off, but the pictures immediately after your ht don’t look odd to me.

It might just be a case of letting it grow out a bit and see how it looks in a few months once you can style it better then reassess.

good luck

The initial pictures were after my hair transplant though? Only the first one in the second lot is straight after. Looking back on it I think you can see even with the drawn on hair design one side is a bit lower and different curve shape. I guess yeah I'll have to wait and reassess though, you're right. It just sucks waiting like 8 months and thinking this every time I look in the mirror, especially having this feeling as soon as the design was drawn and straight afterwards. 

If I am honest it looks more like crap hairline design rather than intentional hairline irregularities.

I prefer micro irregularities with a symmetrical shape, but here they have given you a very macro irregular hairline. It just looks strange because it's almost as if the middle is more recessed than the sides when it's usually the opposite.

Edited by RTC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Justlikeheaven said:

The initial pictures were after my hair transplant though? Only the first one in the second lot is straight after. Looking back on it I think you can see even with the drawn on hair design one side is a bit lower and different curve shape. I guess yeah I'll have to wait and reassess though, you're right. It just sucks waiting like 8 months and thinking this every time I look in the mirror, especially having this feeling as soon as the design was drawn and straight afterwards. 

Yea it would irritate me also… definitely looks odd

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, RTC said:

If I am honest it looks more like crap hairline design rather than intentional hairline irregularities.

I prefer micro irregularities with a symmetrical shame, but here they have given you a very macro irregular hairline. It just looks strange because it's almost as if the middle is more recessed than the sides when it's usually the opposite.

Yeah, I appreciate the honesty and that I'm not going crazy cause it looked awful as soon as it was done but I was having trouble articulating why, especially as this is my first HT and I'm not that clued up about it. Do you see what I mean about even the left having a different curvature than the right? They also left a gap just off center for some reason. It just looks weird like it was done in a hurry or not accurately, rather than as you say "deliberately". It's also difficult cause everyone tells me it looks fine and normal when it clearly doesn't, and that it's normal for it not to be totally straight, which of course is also true, but it's normal for it not to look like that either. I'm due to go back in a few months, would it be fixable or not advisable to even go to the same place for my second HT and just go somewhere else? Or is it not as big a deal as I think? I basically chose Eugenix cause of their good reputation on here.