Hairline after hair transplant looks very uneven/wonky

13 minutes ago, WhiteyUK said:

Yea it would irritate me also… definitely looks odd

I agree, not great to hear but appreciate the honesty. Not sure what to do as I'm due to travel to India for my second HT in a few months. 

Edited by Justlikeheaven

4 minutes ago, Justlikeheaven said:

I agree, not great to hear but appreciate the honesty. Not sure what to do as I'm due to travel to India for my second HT in a few months. 

I’d speak to them, tell them your worries and ask if this can be rectified at your next appointment.

It might just take 100 grafts or so to make it more normal let’s say

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteyUK said:

I’d speak to them, tell them your worries and ask if this can be rectified at your next appointment.

It might just take 100 grafts or so to make it more normal let’s say

Yeah I'll do that, though the fact they did this already makes me wonder if I should let them near it again to do something else undesirable. Or if this is a relatively common thing. Do you think it's something that will look more normal over time or something that needs to be rectified? Say if you had gotten this hairline yourself. I'm actually unsure as to go somewhere else or not now. Went to Eugenix cause of their good reputation but I'd rather go to Turkey than India if I can help it as its cheaper easier and closer. 

Like I said it's difficult to know what to do cause most people here say you can't tell there's anything wrong with it and it's totally normal, while others are saying it looks crap or very odd etc. 🤔

Edited by Justlikeheaven

• Valued Contributor
13 minutes ago, Justlikeheaven said:

I'm due to go back in a few months, would it be fixable or not advisable to even go to the same place for my second HT and just go somewhere else? Or is it not as big a deal as I think? I basically chose Eugenix cause of their good reputation on here. 

It depends entirely on what you mean by "fixable". There's essentially two ways to change a hairline: add more grafts in front of the existing hairline, or remove parts of the existing hairline. The latter is more complicated than the former and requires usually two sessions as a minimum. As to which approach is best for a given patient depends on the specifics of the issues with the hairline and the patient's goals for what and where they want that hairline to be.

What I would say is I've never come across a situation where a clinic has reversed parts of their own work before by removing grafts. So if that's the avenue you wanted to go down then it won't be with Eugenix. But this is all getting way, way too far ahead of itself. Your first step should be to let things grow out and see what you think. I'm very sure that at least some of your concerns will subside.

Which surgeon planned and performed your surgery and how involved/present where they throughout the surgery?

10 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

It depends entirely on what you mean by "fixable". There's essentially two ways to change a hairline: add more grafts in front of the existing hairline, or remove parts of the existing hairline. The latter is more complicated than the former and requires usually two sessions as a minimum. As to which approach is best for a given patient depends on the specifics of the issues with the hairline and the patient's goals for what and where they want that hairline to be.

What I would say is I've never come across a situation where a clinic has reversed parts of their own work before by removing grafts. So if that's the avenue you wanted to go down then it won't be with Eugenix. But this is all getting way, way too far ahead of itself. Your first step should be to let things grow out and see what you think. I'm very sure that at least some of your concerns will subside.

Which surgeon planned and performed your surgery and how involved/present where they throughout the surgery?

Yeah I understand, I guess I should wait a bit longer to see what the end result is. But I can't imagine the actual hairline will change so it's always going to be an odd shape isn't it? Right now I'm unsure about going back to Eugenix. India is so far as it is, and if someone reputable can do my second HT (Norwood VI) I might just go there. It's not great waiting 8 months to see if a problem that in my mind shouldn't even be there will become less over time while I monitor it daily. Dr Vinita (I believe that's her name) designed the hairline, but the techs did all the work. I'm not sure how present she was as I was face down or had my eyes closed most of the time haha, but I don't think she was involved other than the hairline design. But as I say, the design looked very odd from the front as soon as she drew it on and this is where my worry and unease initiated, so I don't think it's anything to do with the techs or anyone else. 

Edited by Justlikeheaven

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Justlikeheaven said:

But I can't imagine the actual hairline will change so it's always going to be an odd shape isn't it?

Yes and no. The shape itself won't change, but how it appears overall most certainly will. Once hair starts growing out and you have decent length you'll find that everything will look softer and less exaggerated than when it's either just a line of pen or a scraggy post-op buzzcut length. You'll also have a process of 'getting used to' having a hairline again, which can be quite a shock to the system if you've not had one for quite a while.

In terms of working out where and what your hairline should have looked like (in order to get there in the future), it might be useful if you can share some photos from the past in which you had a full hairline as well as a more receded hairline but still with a strong central forelock. Part of understanding exactly what it was about my own hairline that wasn't right was going back and carefully reviewing what my hairline used to be like, and finding a time period where it looked good and going through photos chronologically to find the point at which it had gotten to the 'time to just buzz it off' stage. Somewhere between those two points was the sweet spot.

Edited by Berba11
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Yes and no. The shape itself won't change, but how it appears overall most certainly will. Once hair starts growing out and you have decent length you'll find that everything will look softer and less exaggerated than when it's either just a line of pen or a scraggy post-op buzzcut length. You'll also have a process of 'getting used to' having a hairline again, which can be quite a shock to the system if you've not had one for quite a while.

In terms of working out where and what your hairline should have looked like (in order to get there in the future), it might be useful if you can share some photos from the past in which you had a full hairline as well as a more receded hairline but still with a strong central forelock. Part of understanding exactly what it was about my own hairline that wasn't right was going back and carefully reviewing what my hairline used to be like, and finding a time period where it looked good and going through photos chronologically to find the point at which it had gotten to the 'time to just buzz it off' stage. Somewhere between those to points was the sweet spot

Thanks for all the advice. I don't think it's so much that it looks bad on me in particular, having hair where there was none even with the uneven hairline looks great, it's just the pattern of it to my eye is clearly not right, as it wouldn't be on anyone else's head, not specifically mine. Hopefully it will look good over time and if not hopefully it's an easy fix. But is that to say if I decide to buzz my head one day the issue with persist again? One thing that sits uneasy with me though is the fact it was done to begin with, and untrusting the same doctor(s) again. 

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, Justlikeheaven said:

One thing that sits uneasy with me though is the fact it was done to begin with, and untrusting the same doctor(s) again. 

I assume your second session with Dr Vinita is to address the crown, so that's distinct from the hairline and could be considered on its own merits. In terms of whether to entrust them to rectify your hairline... This is why it's vitally important you take some time to understand what your hairline should look like. You can at the very least play around with this at home by drawing lines on yourself. If the conclusion is that you'd need to subtract grafts rather than add grafts, then Eugenix aren't going to do this. They won't undo their own work and reverse part of the transplant. You'd need to go elsewhere for this. But if you decide you want to add more grafts (if indeed you have them spare) then this is pretty straight forward and many patients do little tweaks and improvements to their initial hairline with their surgeons, including some really nice cases by Eugenix (check out @MazAB, @Bandit90& @Zoomsterfor eg).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I can see why the shape bothers you

It's not dramatic and it certainly happens in nature (I myself always had an odd recession in the middle of my natural hairline), but your point is warranted that this was likely a slip-up rather than intentional

As Berba was saying, give it time to grow, and then decide - you can then either fill in the shape to match the other side (Eugenix can do this), or remove some grafts (punch or electrolysis, which they can't), either way it'll end up more symmetrical

As for going back to Eugenix for round 2 crown area, that's your choice. I would however evaluate it based on growth (crown is a tough area to get good growth), density and how well they homogenized your donor, especially as it will look more sparse after surgery #2

Edited by Paul_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two successful repairs (pluggy hairline removal + donor restoration) with Dr Ball - The Maitland Clinic

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/72766-pluggy-hairline-removal-donor-restocking-2-repairs-with-dr-ball-maitland-clinic/

11 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Hi, I can see why the shape bothers you

It's not dramatic and it certainly happens in nature (I myself always had an odd recession in the middle of my natural hairline), but your point is warranted that this was likely a slip-up rather than intentional

As Berba was saying, give it time to grow, and then decide - you can then either fill in the shape to match the other side (Eugenix can do this), or remove some grafts (punch or electrolysis, which they can't), either way it'll end up more symmetrical

As for going back to Eugenix for round 2 crown area, that's your choice. I would however evaluate it based on growth (crown is a tough area to get good growth), density and how well they homogenized your donor, especially as it will look more sparse after surgery #2

Hi, I'm glad you can see what I'm talking about as most people just tell me it looks normal (a few here have disagreed though). It does look worse irl I think and harder to detect or even articulate the issue in pictures and text. But yeah I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see what I want to do, if anything. As well as the recession that's off centre just the shape is all wrong too. I can't imagine removing any grafts as the hairline seems high already I'll probably try and get it filled in, or hopefully I won't need to as it grows if it looks better when it's longer. 

30 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

I assume your second session with Dr Vinita is to address the crown, so that's distinct from the hairline and could be considered on its own merits. In terms of whether to entrust them to rectify your hairline... This is why it's vitally important you take some time to understand what your hairline should look like. You can at the very least play around with this at home by drawing lines on yourself. If the conclusion is that you'd need to subtract grafts rather than add grafts, then Eugenix aren't going to do this. They won't undo their own work and reverse part of the transplant. You'd need to go elsewhere for this. But if you decide you want to add more grafts (if indeed you have them spare) then this is pretty straight forward and many patients do little tweaks and improvements to their initial hairline with their surgeons, including some really nice cases by Eugenix (check out @MazAB, @Bandit90& @Zoomsterfor eg).

To be honest I just want something that looks normal haha, not lopsided and weird. I'm not overly picky or looking for perfection. But I shall heed your advice, especially the drawing part. I'd like to add grafts to even it out rather than make my hairline higher (not sure why you'd do this?) but hopefully it'll look decent when it's grown and I won't need to. I'll check those out, I've been watching bandit90's progress for a while and his results were one of the reasons I chose Eugenix as he's a nw6 like me (I think?) so am a bit disappointed by my result regarding the hairline. But from what people have been saying it may be an easy fix and I need to go for a second HT anyway. I do wonder why it wasn't noticed how uneven it was by anyone though as I noticed it straight away.

Edited by Justlikeheaven

8 minutes ago, Justlikeheaven said:

Hi, I'm glad you can see what I'm talking about as most people just tell me it looks normal (a few here have disagreed though). It does look worse irl I think and harder to detect or even articulate the issue in pictures and text. But yeah I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see what I want to do, if anything. As well as the recession that's off centre just the shape is all wrong too. I can't imagine removing any grafts as the hairline seems high already I'll probably try and get it filled in, or hopefully I won't need to as it grows if it looks better when it's longer. 

Well, people are used to having a tolerance range for "normal" and at the same time don't pay nearly as much attention to it as you do yourself. As for this forum, folks here we all have a heightened focus to hairlines so of course you'll get more precise feedback

Take that as a good thing - you don't have to cover up for the next x months, feeling Quasimodo-ish 🙂

Last note about your 2nd surgery: as you are already cautious about this, focused on detail and with a kind of "repair" in mind, you may want to consider a top tier surgeon in Europe instead. Saying this as to me, Eugenix results don't always end up being the most refined, even if they're not botched by any means

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two successful repairs (pluggy hairline removal + donor restoration) with Dr Ball - The Maitland Clinic

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/72766-pluggy-hairline-removal-donor-restocking-2-repairs-with-dr-ball-maitland-clinic/

6 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Well, people are used to having a tolerance range for "normal" and at the same time don't pay nearly as much attention to it as you do yourself. As for this forum, folks here we all have a heightened focus to hairlines so of course you'll get more precise feedback

Take that as a good thing - you don't have to cover up for the next x months, feeling Quasimodo-ish 🙂

Last note about your 2nd surgery: as you are already cautious about this, focused on detail and with a kind of "repair" in mind, you may want to consider a top tier surgeon in Europe instead. Saying this as to me, Eugenix results don't always end up being the most refined, even if they're not botched by any means

Haha, true enough. To be honest I'll probably be wearing a baseball cap till everything's finished anyway. I am considering other places yes, if you think most will take on the next part of an unfinished HT. I contacted FUECapillar, who I contacted in the past, who's rep just told me they spoke to me already (before the HT 2 years ago) and that I'd need an FUT, even though I mentioned I'd had one FUE done already. I didn't bother pursuing after that. I wish I had the funds for top surgeons in Europe but sadly I don't, plus they always have very long waiting lists. 

20 minutes ago, Justlikeheaven said:

Haha, true enough. To be honest I'll probably be wearing a baseball cap till everything's finished anyway. I am considering other places yes, if you think most will take on the next part of an unfinished HT. I contacted FUECapillar, who I contacted in the past, who's rep just told me they spoke to me already (before the HT 2 years ago) and that I'd need an FUT, even though I mentioned I'd had one FUE done already. I didn't bother pursuing after that. I wish I had the funds for top surgeons in Europe but sadly I don't, plus they always have very long waiting lists. 

I understand. Maybe HDC or Michalis could be an option, or otherwise see the other recommended surgeons list 

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Justlikeheaven said:

I'd like to add grafts to even it out rather than make my hairline higher (not sure why you'd do this?)

I'm not saying it applies in your case but there are a number of reasons why taking things back up can often be better than taking things lower. First of all, if a hairline has been created too low to begin with, it's only ever going to need to go in one direction. Low and aggressive hairlines are absolutely not needed for aesthetic framing of the face, and lowering a hairline can throw a person's natural proportions out of whack (as well as not looking great in later life). Taking a hairline back up again means you reuse those grafts that have been removed, so although you need to place new singles into a hairline that has been taken up, over the long run you're saving precious grafts. Adding to a hairline or lowering it means more grafts taken from the donor area which might not be advisable long term.

And then there are other reasons, such as grafts being misangled etc... Adding more grafts won't rectify that issue (and indeed, could compound it), so de-bulking problem grafts by extraction is a good option.

Extracting can help to reshape a hairline that is too broad and wide. You can't narrow a hairline by adding grafts, only by subtracting. Then there's skin issues like cobblestoning, pitting etc which can often be improved or eliminated entirely by removing the offending grafts.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Justlikeheaven said:

Yeah, I appreciate the honesty and that I'm not going crazy cause it looked awful as soon as it was done but I was having trouble articulating why, especially as this is my first HT and I'm not that clued up about it. Do you see what I mean about even the left having a different curvature than the right? They also left a gap just off center for some reason. It just looks weird like it was done in a hurry or not accurately, rather than as you say "deliberately". It's also difficult cause everyone tells me it looks fine and normal when it clearly doesn't, and that it's normal for it not to be totally straight, which of course is also true, but it's normal for it not to look like that either. I'm due to go back in a few months, would it be fixable or not advisable to even go to the same place for my second HT and just go somewhere else? Or is it not as big a deal as I think? I basically chose Eugenix cause of their good reputation on here. 

Yes I get what you mean defo. Personally it would really irritate me and I would get it topped up if I could. I wouldn't go to Eugenix period unless Dr Sethi personally was working on me.

4 hours ago, Paul_ said:

I understand. Maybe HDC or Michalis could be an option, or otherwise see the other recommended surgeons list 

Haven't heard of those but I'll check them out, thanks! I'm definitely open to cheaper options with reputable surgeons at this point. It's a shame FUECapillar don't want to know. 

4 hours ago, Berba11 said:

I'm not saying it applies in your case but there are a number of reasons why taking things back up can often be better than taking things lower. First of all, if a hairline has been created too low to begin with, it's only ever going to need to go in one direction. Low and aggressive hairlines are absolutely not needed for aesthetic framing of the face, and lowering a hairline can throw a person's natural proportions out of whack (as well as not looking great in later life). Taking a hairline back up again means you reuse those grafts that have been removed, so although you need to place new singles into a hairline that has been taken up, over the long run you're saving precious grafts. Adding to a hairline or lowering it means more grafts taken from the donor area which might not be advisable long term.

And then there are other reasons, such as grafts being misangled etc... Adding more grafts won't rectify that issue (and indeed, could compound it), so de-bulking problem grafts by extraction is a good option.

Extracting can help to reshape a hairline that is too broad and wide. You can't narrow a hairline by adding grafts, only by subtracting. Then there's skin issues like cobblestoning, pitting etc which can often be improved or eliminated entirely by removing the offending grafts.

Ah yes I see, that makes total sense. I think from my pictures I'd need some added to the right side and to fill the slight gap, right? I don't think it's low enough in any way to remove grafts but then we don't know about other issues you mentioned. I appreciate all the help. 

3 hours ago, RTC said:

Yes I get what you mean defo. Personally it would really irritate me and I would get it topped up if I could. I wouldn't go to Eugenix period unless Dr Sethi personally was working on me.

Yeah, you can see my point then cause it irritates me a lot too, to the point I don't really want to wait 8 months to see if it ever looks more "normal". But I'll have to do that. And yeah, I can see why now (Dr Sethi), I paid a bit extra to go to Eugenix (especially going all the way to India) but not getting the highest package means I probably got similar results to a regular hair mill. 

• Moderators

This may end up looking totally fine once the hair grows in. Immediately after the HT the hairline looks much more like a solid line than what it will be once it actually grows. That makes the design really show more in the post op photos than it will 12 months later. I wouldn't worry about it for now. Since you are going back later for the crown, you can simply address the hairline then and make some adjustments if necessary.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

2 hours ago, Al - Moderator said:

This may end up looking totally fine once the hair grows in. Immediately after the HT the hairline looks much more like a solid line than what it will be once it actually grows. That makes the design really show more in the post op photos than it will 12 months later. I wouldn't worry about it for now. Since you are going back later for the crown, you can simply address the hairline then and make some adjustments if necessary.

Yes I'm really hoping this is the case, that it looks much better later down the line. If not I hope it's something that can be easily remedied 

From looking at the pics, that I have to say is very difficult, it looks more about the angles and what hair has come through first. It does look a little odd right now but I would not be surprised if this starts to soften and look more "normal" as more hairs start getting stronger and longer. If they do not then I think getting it filled out, ~100 grafts when you get the crown done should set you straight (pun intended). Good luck my guy. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

From looking at the pics, that I have to say is very difficult, it looks more about the angles and what hair has come through first. It does look a little odd right now but I would not be surprised if this starts to soften and look more "normal" as more hairs start getting stronger and longer. If they do not then I think getting it filled out, ~100 grafts when you get the crown done should set you straight (pun intended). Good luck my guy. 

Cheers, appreciate it. Yeah if 100 grafts can fix the issue (if it persists) then I'll be happy. To be honest the hairline did look uneven as soon as it was drawn on, and then straight after the surgery (I expressed concern but didn't quite know how to articulate the issue or if said issue would remain) so I'm not sure it has to do with what hairs have come through. I do agree that it'll probably look more normal as time goes on and everything will blend more together, its just a bit disheartening as it looked a bit odd at the start and the strange outline didn't really disappear. When I look at other hairline designs, even from Eugenix, they look more perfect. That's to say perfect for a deliberate imperfect hairline design, not a straight line as some clinics do. I definitely don't want that either. 

But we'll have to see as time goes on! 

Can you tell me who did the slits on you?

It does look really odd now, but I hope when your hair grows and matures it doesn't look as bad as it does now.

If you choose Eugenix for your second HT, please voice your concern about this and ask that they rectify it without any charges to you.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't pick this clinic for my second ht.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rawkerboi said:

Can you tell me who did the slits on you?

It does look really odd now, but I hope when your hair grows and matures it doesn't look as bad as it does now.

If you choose Eugenix for your second HT, please voice your concern about this and ask that they rectify it without any charges to you.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't pick this clinic for my second ht.

Appreciate the honesty, and I agree it looked off from the moment it was drawn on and then after the HT. Do you think you could articulate or elaborate why in particular you think it looks odd? Even if it does look more normal, I am wondering why it was done like this to begin with and why it wasn't picked up on. I even mentioned it to the doctor the day after who looked at it and said it was all fine. I think I kinda trusted that everyone's looks a bit weird to begin with but I can see it's not the case as a lot of people are telling me it's odd. 

To be honest I'm a bit put off about going back, but I'm not sure if other doctors are willing to carry on someone else's work, I don't have the funds for a top surgeon but I may as well just go to a Turkey mill to do the crown and the result may not end up too different. 

I know for sure Dr Vinita did the design and I'm fairly sure she did the slits too. The techs do all the other stuff. 

Edited by Justlikeheaven