Finasteride after the recommended therapeutic age of 41

Matthias

In general, Finasteride is only indicated for the treatment and prevention of hair loss up to the age of 41, which I guess has to do with the age-dependent hormone levels (at least that's the age cap in my homecountry). 
Do you have to continue taking it beyond this age or can you simply stop taking it after the age of 41 and your hereby preserved hair will still remain healthy and present? Is it still possible to get a prescription from a dermatologist after the age of 41?

Finasteride doesn’t stop hairloss, it helps slows it down, so why would they stop prescribing it to u at 41, when they continue to prescribe for men over 40+ for enlarged prostrate prevention and issues..

I dont take it daily myself because i just dont like medication,,  but whenever i stop taking it for a few weeks, my hair falls off really easy, reminding me to stop pretending i have a hairloss issue and doing nothing about it will continue to get worse., theres no way aroind that fact,. Its like not brushing ur teeth for two weeks ,, u gonna notice it

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
7 hours ago, Matthias said:

In general, Finasteride is only indicated for the treatment and prevention of hair loss up to the age of 41, which I guess has to do with the age-dependent hormone levels (at least that's the age cap in my homecountry). 
Do you have to continue taking it beyond this age or can you simply stop taking it after the age of 41 and your hereby preserved hair will still remain healthy and present? Is it still possible to get a prescription from a dermatologist after the age of 41?

Finasteride is prescribed at 1mg a day for as long as you care about your hair. It’s effectively for life. 

• Like 1