Help needed!! 25 years old male feeling depressed about hair loss. Any Progress? Should I consider for hair transplant?

Hello fellow hair enthusiasts,

First of all, thank you all for providing such great content and valuable information here.

I’m a 25-year-old male, and I’ve been experiencing hair loss, mainly a receding hairline, since I was 20. I've genetic baldness running in my maternal side.

I’ve had a high forehead and a mature hairline even before my 20s.

Last December, I got a buzz cut, and it was devastating to see how much my hairline had receded.

I was extremely depressed for about 5-6 months and still haven’t fully recovered emotionally. Initially, I consulted with a dermatologist who recommended Redensyl along with ketoconazole. Unfortunately, after 3.5 months of use, my hair loss only increased, with no signs of improvement.

I then consulted another dermatologist, who prescribed minoxidil and finasteride two months later. I’ve been using minoxidil for 5 months and finasteride for 3 months. My hair fall has slowed down and is now back to the baseline state it was before starting Redensyl.

The reduction in hair fall became noticeable around the 3-month mark of using finasteride. Minoxidil, on the other hand, hasn’t had much effect, but I’m continuing to use it as advised by my dermatologist.

I’ve also been considering a hair transplant for my receding hairline. Recently, I consulted with Dr. Sunnet Soni in Jaipur, India. He advised against a transplant at this stage due to the potential for future hair loss and noted that my hair density is still good, and my hairline hasn’t receded too far. I appreciated his honest assessment.

My routine:

1. Minoxidil every evening at 7 PM.

2. Finsteride every night before going to bed

3. Ketoconazole 2 times a week.

4. Alternative day shampoo/hair wash

I’m posting some pictures from January 2024 (had short hair at that time, wearing a black sweater) and September 2024 (the rest), taken after using minoxidil for 5 months and finasteride for 3 months.

Can you see any difference between these pictures?

What do you think about my hairline? Is it really too receded, or am I just overthinking it? The doctor mentioned that it isn't as bad as I think, and I somewhat agree with him.

Do you think I should go ahead with a hair transplant for my receding hairline, or should I follow Dr. Soni’s advice?

Do you think finasteride will further improve my hair quality, given that hair fall has slowed down by 50-60% and used it for 3 months only?

Minoxidil hasn’t shown much regrowth for me. After using it for 5 months, I don’t see any significant difference. What are your thoughts on this?

I really need some outside perspectives, as I’ve been feeling depressed and anxious about this for almost a year now. Please share your thoughts and advice.

IMG20240122051755.jpg

IMG20240122051750.jpg

IMG20240122051758~2.jpg

IMG20240918073307~2.jpg

IMG20240918073311~2.jpg

IMG20240918073314~2.jpg

IMG-20240818-WA0006~2.jpeg

IMG-20240818-WA0014~2.jpeg

Edited by sankhadip Samanta

• sankhadip Samanta changed the title to Help needed!! 25 years old male feeling depressed about hair loss. Any Progress? Should I consider for hair transplant?
  • Moderators

Your hair looks pretty good. Don’t have a hair transplant. Stay on the meds for now and try to stop being depressed about your hair because it’s not bad at all. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.