Chris Bumstead Unnatural Hairline, Hairline Repairs, FUE+FUT- Hattingen Hair Mr. Rolandas

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

I'm so pleased that this discussion went to talking about FUT after FUE because this is exactly something I've discussed with Dr Sever on a few occasions. When I met him in London and he was inspecting my head he said he could "easily" get a 4,000 graft strip. I was quite surprised because I'd had FUE obviously and then in our discussions since I always bring this up and because he knows I'm interested in this, every time he has an FUT after FUE case he'd mention it to me. For example three weeks before my surgery we jumped on a call and he said they had an Aussie in the day before for FUT after FUE, then again when I was at the clinic they had an FUT after FUE (and he said again he could easily get 4K from a strip out of my donor). He told me they're doing it all the time. I think this is a massively under explored area so I was pleasantly surprised this was covered!

I actually discussed this with Dr Ted when I visited his clinic. He does great strip work but was more apprehensive about the feasibility of FUT after FUE. So there's maybe a little bit of a divide in perspectives and/or experience in that area among surgeons and it's a subject that is rarely discussed. I think a lot of patients would hugely benefit from understanding that they may be able to revert to FUT after already having had FUE. Definitely a subject that needs to be broached more I think Melvin.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Yes, im keen on seeing more cases of FUT after subsequent FUE procedures. I believe we might do another live podcast with Rolandas on his channel. Maybe I can ask Dr. Muresanu to prepare some cases to share. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

19 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

I'm so pleased that this discussion went to talking about FUT after FUE because this is exactly something I've discussed with Dr Sever on a few occasions. When I met him in London and he was inspecting my head he said he could "easily" get a 4,000 graft strip. I was quite surprised because I'd had FUE obviously and then in our discussions since I always bring this up and because he knows I'm interested in this, every time he has an FUT after FUE case he'd mention it to me. For example three weeks before my surgery we jumped on a call and he said they had an Aussie in the day before for FUT after FUE, then again when I was at the clinic they had an FUT after FUE (and he said again he could easily get 4K from a strip out of my donor). He told me they're doing it all the time. I think this is a massively under explored area so I was pleasantly surprised this was covered!

I actually discussed this with Dr Ted when I visited his clinic. He does great strip work but was more apprehensive about the feasibility of FUT after FUE. So there's maybe a little bit of a divide in perspectives and/or experience in that area among surgeons and it's a subject that is rarely discussed. I think a lot of patients would hugely benefit from understanding that they may be able to revert to FUT after already having had FUE. Definitely a subject that needs to be broached more I think Melvin.

I think if Verteporfin had helped established a much more solid case and maybe it might with more tests ongoing from different places, then FUT scars healing much more better and naturally looking with a minimal scar line would probably make it more appealing.

Personally I think FUT has some room to possibly improve and so does FUE even but we are probably based on how long both techniques have been around now near a limit without any additional Innovations on the horizon.

Still, 4K grafts for an FUT must probably seem like a helluva lifeline for you to think about should you ever decide you needed it.

• Valued Contributor
6 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Still, 4K grafts for an FUT must probably seem like a helluva lifeline for you to think about should you ever decide you needed it.

Even if 4K turned out to be slightly ambitious, the prospect of being able to get something like 3,000 grafts from the safest part of the donor and still have the option to FUE around it after that is very attractive (particularly since I'm destined to be a NW6 or 7 and have a bit of retrograde alopecia).

In terms of the FUT scar, I think nowadays it's a non-issue. It's very easy to put a fairly small number of grafts from either scalp or beard (or elsewhere) into the scar to conceal it (or even SMP potentially). 

FUE is young-ish still, but large session FUE is still very much wearing nappies. We simply don't have really long term data on how FUE that has severely tested the borders of the safest zones of a donor area holds up. I'd love to see more of an equilibrium between FUE and FUT in the years to come, thought I don't expect this to happen unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Berba11 said:

It is underexposed and this is precisely the reason I've raised this question (obviously myself being a perfect subject example).

Both Dr. Muresanu are a perfect doctors to ask such questions, not only because they still actually offer both FUT & FUE, but also because they're highly skilled at what they do.

In my logic, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to do FUT after many FUE's. You will only get less grafts/cm2 in strip taken out, but as long as there's enough grafts in donor left in general, it still can make sense.

IMO might be a good "last shot" to some people who didn't had favourable results and they've already exhausted their donor supply through FUE.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

12 hours ago, Rolandas said:

In my logic, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to do FUT after many FUE's. You will only get less grafts/cm2 in strip taken out, but as long as there's enough grafts in donor left in general, it still can make sense.

I think the only issue could be camouflaging the strip scar if you've had too much taken out, but I guess you can BHT into it.