Finasteride Vs Oral Minoxidil (or both)?

Hi everyone. 

Just a quick question for you.

Here in the UK these meds are very expensive (or moreover I haven't found anywhere yet where I can buy them relatively cheaply). 

If you had to pick one to maintain a hair transplant, which would you chose? It is my understanding that finasteride only halts hair loss, whereas Minoxidil grows new hair, but does it also halt hair loss or just regrow hair? Is this why both are needed?

Basically I'm a 41 year old NW6 that's just undergone a HT and looking to maintain for the foreseeable future. I have purchased one years supply of both, but following that which would you recommend to carry on with? Would continuing with both really be optimal with huge benefits, or just additional minor benefits? Or due to my age could meds be halted altogether after age 45 or 50 or so? 

It is something I've talking to doctors about here and there, but they don't talk extensively about it due to time restraints etc and I'm not sure I will be in contact with these doctors for years afterwards. 

25 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Both.

https://www.oxfordonlinepharmacy.co.uk/

Go for the largest amount of pills. They often send 10-15% discount codes. All in all very reasonable. 

Both indefinitely? Thank you for the site, I appreciate it. Though it seems fin is £13.49 for one month of 1mg tablets and oral minoxidil is £44.99, still very pricey. I recently paid £2 a bottle from India. If I could get 5mg of fin for that price from the UK and cut it into fours I'd be happy. 

Edited by Justlikeheaven

2 hours ago, Justlikeheaven said:

Both indefinitely? Thank you for the site, I appreciate it. Though it seems fin is £13.49 for one month of 1mg tablets and oral minoxidil is £44.99, still very pricey. I recently paid £2 a bottle from India. If I could get 5mg of fin for that price from the UK and cut it into fours I'd be happy. 

If you're going for the largest amount of pills (lowering the cost per pill) it's about £9 per month for fin. The min is more expensive but works out at about £30 per month, both before applying the 10-15% codes they spam you with.

I think it's reasonable if you buy in bulk. Is it cheaper elsewhere? Definitely but I don't think that's too expensive. I'd pay £30 for oral min over £2 for topical these days too, I spent 10+ years applying topical, twice a day and I never want to do it again. 

As for indefinitely, yes imo, if you're not getting sides then there's little reason not do, as long as your GP is aware and you know the risks/what to look out for with sides (I am no a doctor, I'd always recommend speaking with a professional).

Donor hair is not immune to DHT, it's more resistant, for if you've had aggressive balding in the past then it's possible that your donor will also thin, taking both will reduce (albeit not eliminate) the chance of that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

If you're going for the largest amount of pills (lowering the cost per pill) it's about £9 per month for fin. The min is more expensive but works out at about £30 per month, both before applying the 10-15% codes they spam you with.

I think it's reasonable if you buy in bulk. Is it cheaper elsewhere? Definitely but I don't think that's too expensive. I'd pay £30 for oral min over £2 for topical these days too, I spent 10+ years applying topical, twice a day and I never want to do it again. 

As for indefinitely, yes imo, if you're not getting sides then there's little reason not do, as long as your GP is aware and you know the risks/what to look out for with sides (I am no a doctor, I'd always recommend speaking with a professional).

Donor hair is not immune to DHT, it's more resistant, for if you've had aggressive balding in the past then it's possible that your donor will also thin, taking both will reduce (albeit not eliminate) the chance of that.

Sorry should have clarified, it was around £2-£3 for a one month bottle of oral minoxidil, not topical and the same for fin. Would be great if I could get it imported at that price. I've seen https://www.dockpharmacy.com/product/finasteride-tab-5mg-28/ have 5mg finasteride for £10? Which cutting into fours would only be £2.50 a month! Great option if it's legit, it seems so. 

10 hours ago, Justlikeheaven said:

Sorry should have clarified, it was around £2-£3 for a one month bottle of oral minoxidil, not topical and the same for fin. Would be great if I could get it imported at that price. I've seen https://www.dockpharmacy.com/product/finasteride-tab-5mg-28/ have 5mg finasteride for £10? Which cutting into fours would only be £2.50 a month! Great option if it's legit, it seems so. 

Is there a way you could get it sent over from where you bought it from in India? Honestly, that Dock Pharmacy sounds too good to be true, it's a fraction of the legit pharmacies here.

If you can use PayPal or Credit Card to protect yourself then perhaps give it a shot and see how it goes. The Trust Pilot reviews are not brilliant though, so buyer beware. 

The OP asked “if you had to choose just one” and the most effective would without a doubt be low dose finasteride.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

2 hours ago, SuperHans said:

Is there a way you could get it sent over from where you bought it from in India? Honestly, that Dock Pharmacy sounds too good to be true, it's a fraction of the legit pharmacies here.

If you can use PayPal or Credit Card to protect yourself then perhaps give it a shot and see how it goes. The Trust Pilot reviews are not brilliant though, so buyer beware. 

Nah they don't import it, but I'll probably try that site or try to get 5mg from somewhere at some point. 

• Valued Contributor
On 9/22/2024 at 5:03 PM, Justlikeheaven said:

Hi everyone. 

Just a quick question for you.

Here in the UK these meds are very expensive (or moreover I haven't found anywhere yet where I can buy them relatively cheaply). 

If you had to pick one to maintain a hair transplant, which would you chose? It is my understanding that finasteride only halts hair loss, whereas Minoxidil grows new hair, but does it also halt hair loss or just regrow hair? Is this why both are needed?

Basically I'm a 41 year old NW6 that's just undergone a HT and looking to maintain for the foreseeable future. I have purchased one years supply of both, but following that which would you recommend to carry on with? Would continuing with both really be optimal with huge benefits, or just additional minor benefits? Or due to my age could meds be halted altogether after age 45 or 50 or so? 

It is something I've talking to doctors about here and there, but they don't talk extensively about it due to time restraints etc and I'm not sure I will be in contact with these doctors for years afterwards. 

If I had to pick one it would be finasteride. Finasteride addresses MPB at the root cause. Minoxidil works in a different manner entirely. However as has been suggested taking both means that minoxidil will compliment the work that finasteride does. All the best. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

If I had to pick one it would be finasteride. Finasteride addresses MPB at the root cause. Minoxidil works in a different manner entirely. However as has been suggested taking both means that minoxidil will compliment the work that finasteride does. All the best. 

Yes that's what I figured. Once you have a HT both will work in unison to regrow the new hairs. But once that's done I was wondering if both are really essential to maintain it (of course both would be optimal) in the future, or you could get away with just using one.