Diffuse thinner - Am I hair transplant candidate?

Hey friends,

I'm looking for some advice regarding my diffuse thinning case. For context, im 35 I've been on hair loss medication for about 3 years. I was on Finasteride for 2 years and switched to Dutasteride about a year ago. I also take 3 mg of oral Minoxidil. I've been thinking about getting a hair transplant for years now, but all the fear-mongering (with valid reasons) regarding diffuse thinning has freaked me out. However, at this point, I'm committed to taking the leap and just getting one.

I'm seeking advice from those with a similar hair loss pattern who have gotten a hair transplant. I've attached pictures and done a lot of research regarding suitable surgeons specializing in diffuse thinning cases, and I found Dr. Ratchathorn from Absolute Clinic.

Any input is much appreciated!

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 8.40.39 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 8.40.49 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 8.40.56 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 8.41.06 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 8.41.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 8.42.13 AM.png

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-19 at 8.07.04 AM.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Hairwolf said:

How was your hair before the meds? Still got plenty of hair, albeit thinned as you mention. Dr Ratchathorn is a good choice for sure. Bisanga and Mwamba would be good choices also. 

Much thinner. I remember when i first shaved it down and ran my hand through my hair they were all weak/soft and obviously on their last leg. 

View recent photos.jpeg

You definitely have the classic diffused loss pattern and because you still have lots of hair albeit in a diffused state, the greatest risk of doing surgery now would be shock loss to the weakest diffused hair…so honestly, if it were me, I would remain on the meds and wait on surgery…you could potentially wear your hair longer and then use cosmetic fibers to improve your hair shaft diameter on the diffused hair…you would be surprised at the visual improvement overall.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

20 minutes ago, gillenator said:

You definitely have the classic diffused loss pattern and because you still have lots of hair albeit in a diffused state, the greatest risk of doing surgery now would be shock loss to the weakest diffused hair…so honestly, if it were me, I would remain on the meds and wait on surgery…you could potentially wear your hair longer and then use cosmetic fibers to improve your hair shaft diameter on the diffused hair…you would be surprised at the visual improvement overall.

Would you consider this a diffuse noorwood 6?

33 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Thanks for the feedback! I have a question regarding shock loss – isn’t it temporary? Also, if I’m only risking losing the smaller, thinned-out ones, aren’t they essentially done anyway, in the sense that they don’t really contribute to density?

I wouldn't see this as diffused case, it's more "casual" and not aggressive hairloss, you also have natural hairline, so it's more filler case in some areas that will blend well with your native hair.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic.

For consultation, WhatsApp: +972526542654

Maildoronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

8 hours ago, Doron Harati said:

I wouldn't see this as diffused case, it's more "casual" and not aggressive hairloss, you also have natural hairline, so it's more filler case in some areas that will blend well with your native hair.

Do you think these "filler cases" are easily treatable if you go to a skilled surgeon? 

15 minutes ago, michealclayton said:

Do you think these "filler cases" are easily treatable if you go to a skilled surgeon? 

Yes, can be done for sure if the surgeon diagnose its thin enough, I wouldn't fear of demolish native hair, if it's too early we suggest to wait 1-2 years.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic.

For consultation, WhatsApp: +972526542654

Maildoronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

19 hours ago, Phillyman1996 said:

Would you consider this a diffuse noorwood 6?

Yes, it is definitely a class 6 diffused thinning pattern.

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

18 hours ago, michealclayton said:

Thanks for the feedback! I have a question regarding shock loss – isn’t it temporary? Also, if I’m only risking losing the smaller, thinned-out ones, aren’t they essentially done anyway, in the sense that they don’t really contribute to density?

Yes, most of the shocked hair will grow back, and yes the weakest hair is not really providing much visual density and on its way out, it’s just a matter of time.

Gillenator

14 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Yes, most of the shocked hair will grow back, and yes the weakest hair is not really providing much visual density and on its way out, it’s just a matter of time.

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the inevitability of hair loss as a diffuse thinner. Since I'm taking all the necessary precautions to halt, if not stop, my hair loss through proper medication and supplementation, have you seen individuals manage to keep their hair indefinitely? Or is it only a matter of time due to genetic predisposition?

The inevitability is probably the best adjective to describe the long term result of MPB over a lifetime…it simply cannot be avoided although there are effective ways and means to detain it and/or prolong it…you have already very wisely elected the most proven and effective resources to combat and prolong the inevitable and you will know when its time for surgery if you conclude that is your best option…no, my good friend I have never seen anyone with an advanced thinning pattern keep their hair indefinitely and yes without question it is due to a genetic predisposition.

• Like 2

Gillenator

• Valued Contributor

I know this is not the answer you want to hear @michealclayton but I would hold off on surgery for now. If keeping your hair cut short is your preferred hair style then hair fibres would solve all your problems. You have done everything right with medication. 👍I would hold off for now to avoid the risks with surgery and diffused thinning. The medication will keep your donor strong for when you need it. All the best.