What happens when remaining natural hair falls out after transplant

This is a good question, particularly since it deals with the loss of hair throughout the entire head and it's also impacted by the non surgical program.  Let's consider a man thinning the front.  He moves forward with a procedure and fills in the entire front.  A year later he's enjoying a fulls set of hair.  6 months later he notices less density and starts questioning if he's losing grafts. So, the question becomes, is it the grafts or the native hair?  When grafts are transplanted, the doctor will work uniformly through an area.  Thus, under magnification if all looks uniform but you end up seeing an area totally devoid of hair, it could be a graft didn't grow.  Could it have been loss of native hair?  This can be easily identified by the caliber.  Hair that comes from the donor, provided the hair is permanent in that area, will be thick, robust and full of color.  Thin-caliber hair implies miniaturization which is directly correlated to hair loss.  If you go on to lose more native hair - you would need to return to the clinic to do more work only to replace what you lost and never achieving any sort of density.  Retention of the native hair is imperative.  Now consider the crown area.

In the most basic of terms I'd like you to think of the crown as a circular area.  You fill it.  Because you've shown the propensity to lose, you'll continue losing.  you go on to lose all the native hair around the island worth of permanent hair.  You'll have created a target area and an unnatural pattern.  Retention of the native hair, again, is important.  

Have you noticed the hundreds of posts of patients asking, "Can I do transplants and don't take meds?" Sure.  The best suggestion is to transplant the front and leave the back alone.  All medical therapies tend to be far more effective towards the crown, not so much the front.  You can't ever make a mistake by working the frontal area.  It'll frame you and give you styling options.  And, if you review the Norwood scale, you can confirm that a thinning or empty crown is normal regardless of the pattern you're thinning into.  

Review the Norwood scale and notice, the greater the demand, the shorter the supply.  And it's this limitation that often drives this industry.  It'd be nice if we had a wheel-barrel full of hair.  Unfortunately we don't have that luxury.  The donor is precious and should be treated that way.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.