Are all forum recommended surgeons capable of performing a second procedure to increase density?

Dear all,

I came across some surgical approaches where certain surgeons prefer to give the frontal half full density in an initial procedure and do the second half or remainder in another procedure later.

Many clinics, especially those offering megasessions, aim to give full coverage on the first pass though, which limits the feasible density. A second pass may be desired by many patients to increase density. It is even a frequent saying here that for most patients with advanced baldness, at least two procedures are required.

Are those surgeons who prefer to split the procedures according to the coverage (especially the forum recommended ones) capable of performing a second procedure focusing on increasing density on patients who already had been given full coverage with basic density in an initial procedure (Needless to say, without causing any harm to the previously transplanted hair)? Or does this require special techniques that not all surgeons practice?

The latter.

Second and third transplants for density (not repairs of a botched first procedure) should only be undertaken by surgeons with a high success rate in this type of operation. It is infinitely more complex than covering large bald areas for which most any qualified and forum recommended doctor will do. 

Research extensively and focus on doctors with proven track records in cases similar to yours. 

PS I don't think I would go to Dr. Yaman for a 'density' pass, instead opting to pay a higher price at a surgeon specializing in this type of operation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, StillAlive said:

The latter.

Second and third transplants for density (not repairs of a botched first procedure) should only be undertaken by surgeons with a high success rate in this type of operation. It is infinitely more complex than covering large bald areas for which most any qualified and forum recommended doctor will do. 

Research extensively and focus on doctors with proven track records in cases similar to yours. 

PS I don't think I would go to Dr. Yaman for a 'density' pass, instead opting to pay a higher price at a surgeon specializing in this type of operation.

A difficult operation would be to add density between native hairs, which has higher chance of shock loss. 
A second pass to add density between transplanted hairs is not a difficult task and I think any of the recommend surgeons could do it with success. When the doctor implant grafts between healthy transplanted hairs then there is no risk to shock loss, like in the case where he implanted between native hairs.  

• Like 1

That is debatable. 

I've read a few cases where folk got second density transplants and ended up looking about the same, as they lost some of the first transplant's hair to shock loss. That's my biggest deterrent when it comes to considering a second transplant. I've yet to see enough substantial evidence of 'second transplant always improves on the first', but it could just be a personal bias. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StillAlive said:

That is debatable. 

I've read a few cases where folk got second density transplants and ended up looking about the same, as they lost some of the first transplant's hair to shock loss. That's my biggest deterrent when it comes to considering a second transplant. I've yet to see enough substantial evidence of 'second transplant always improves on the first', but it could just be a personal bias. 

Shock loss usually happens when we talk about native hairs and not transplanted hairs which are healthy hairs and not week native hairs which might not survive due to shock loss. 

that’s why a hair transplant between native hairs is much more difficult than transplanting between transplanted hairs from a first HT which is something a clinic can more easily. 

Edited by Jackdaniels
  • Like 1

@Jackdaniels @StillAlive Thanks for your replies, these are all valid arguments.

I know that Elithair does second passes for density and they are a notorious hair mill relying almost exclusively on techs. They also have an approach of tieing strands of native hairs together and transplanting meticulously around them. Which leads to the question if second passes should be done on a fully shaven recipient?