WHICH SURGEONS MOST GENTLE ON DONOR AREA(LEAST DAMAGE AND SCARRING)

Posted (edited)

HELLO EVERYONE,

Very exited to be in this community

My question is how to choose a hair surgeon who manages our donor area the best. I already know the “dont worry about how worry about who” when choosing the surgeon but I cant keep myself from wondering. 

I have seen some surgeons (bisanga, laorwong, pekiner) leaving huge extraction sites after the graft removal. Some other surgeons(munib,zarev) leaving almost no visible extraction marks.

The punch size also something I should take in to consideration but I also been told that smaller isnt always the better.

Please let me know yall thoughts on this I am going to drop some pictures from different surgeons as well.

I just want to buzz back of my head(donor) after ht and dont wanna see white scars all around my head. Or at least have the smallest scarring if at all. 

IMG_6417.png

IMG_6416.png

Edited by dizzydap

• dizzydap changed the title to WHICH SURGEONS MOST GENTLE ON DONOR AREA(LEAST DAMAGE AND SCARRING)
  • Valued Contributor

Most surgeons are using somewhere between a 0.8 and a 0.95mm punch (and sometimes smaller or larger than that depending on what and where they're taking from). So in the main you aren't going to find too much difference between surgeons in this regard.

How visible the scars will be depends really on you (some people just scar a bit more than others) and how short you intend the buzzcut to be at the back and sides. As long as the extractions are evenly spread and homogenised, scarring shouldn't be very visible at all even at short lengths, but there is a cut off point to that.

Some surgeons talk about trying to induce early wound contraction in order to produce better healing and less scarring. When I visited Dr Ted for example, he explained to me that he likes to use a lot of tumescence as it creates greater stretch and elasticity of the skin and therefore [hopefully] some extra wound contraction almost straight away. Unfortunately most people aren't buzzing their donor areas down short enough and posting online to really demonstrate the efficacy of this but it certainly makes sense on paper.

Small punches + early onset wound contraction is probably just the ticket when it comes to scar minimisation in the donor area in combination with a large, homogenous extraction pattern.

Posted (edited)

Scar size is correlated significantly with punch size. Using 1mm punches will result in a FAST procedure but it's completely unnecessary in my opinion. Unfortunately some surgeons don't care as much because the before/after's will still look good as long as you don't focus on the donor.

post.png

Edited by Hazy
  • Like 2

Preventative: Dutasteride 0.5mg po qd, Minoxidil 2.5mg po qd

Concealment: DermMatch, XFusion

Replacement: FUT 2500 (Year 2016), FUT 2800 (Year 2024)

First of all you have to make a good research to find a good clinic and a doctor. You can check the results and you can compare the before and after. 

Now everybody leave scar mark but this is different to everyone because have a lot parameters,size of punch, age, type of skin, big or small grafts, colour of the skin (for example very white colour skin have less visible scars) 

For the hair cut of course you have to choose one that will suit you better after the hair transplant, of course on your consultation you have to talk also about that.

I hope that I help you, if you need anything please feel free to ask.

• Moderators

The cleanest, most undamaged looking donor areas even immediately after surgery that I have seen are from Dr Zarev.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.