BHT/Beard to scalp transplantation pointless?

Matthias

The yield may be less than scalp hair but if they grow then they will continue to grow. 

Ok so the anagen/telegen phases are different to scalp hair, but as you rightly said they will of course grow back again. 

Edited by Britanium

Wow I'm surprised, they are doing good work, I will take back my "uninformed" comment, it's interesting that they are saying this though. Would be good to hear a explanation on how they arrived at this particular pov/opinion, any fact based proof for example. 

I have followed numerous beard/chest etc cases over the years and don't recall seeing any evidence of that happening. 

@Dr. Ahmed Altan

Edited by Britanium
  • Like 2

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Matthias said:

Hi,

I had this interesting conversation with a clinic to find out why they rarely do beard to scalp transplants. Is it true what they claim?IMG_4479.thumb.jpeg.4078b6cb6a08f8ff0cfeb481ff21cad9.jpeg

Well if that was the case then after one anagen cycle no one would have a beard or chest hair again. Yes the anagen cycles are shorter than scalp hair cycles and anagen desynchronization occurs but the follicles don’t die. I’ve got eight thousand beard hairs in my scalp.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Well if that was the case then after one anagen cycle no one would have a beard or chest hair again. Yes the anagen cycles are shorter than scalp hair cycles and anagen desynchronization occurs but the follicles don’t die. I’ve got eight thousand beard hairs in my scalp.

Exactly this... 

• Valued Contributor

I mean it’s so obviously not the case that I’m surprised you’re asking OP. Virtually every top surgeon utilises beard hair in their higher NW cases and we have years worth of evidence and results to attest to the fact that beard hair is a perfectly good donor resource that lasts as long as scalp hair. 

19 hours ago, Britanium said:

Wow I'm surprised, they are doing good work, I will take back my "uninformed" comment, it's interesting that they are saying this though. Would be good to hear a explanation on how they arrived at this particular pov/opinion, any fact based proof for example. 

I have followed numerous beard/chest etc cases over the years and don't recall seeing any evidence of that happening. 

@Dr. Ahmed Altan

Hello,

First of all, hair restoration is a delicate balance, and we always strive for optimum results, which depend on many factors since we are dealing with the human body. The mechanisms can vary for each person, that is why I don’t like to judge all the cases as the same because what works for one person may not work for another.

Regarding beard transplants, I have observed in my past practice that implanted beard hairs tend to grow initially, but after 1-2 years, they can become thinner, and some may fall out. This observation is based on experiences from 5-6 years ago, and my research may have evolved. I continue to learn and research this area. Maybe this is also because beard hair is more sensitive to androgens, and I still believe that beard hair may fall out after being transplanted to the scalp. This is based on my personal experience; this is a learning process.

Another point is that my patients generally do not agree to harvest from the beard, except for a small section under the chin, and 200-300 hairs from this area won’t make a big chance. A beard-to-beard transplant is also a viable option, and I think it works. If I really need to use beard hairs in high Norwood cases, the patient should agree to use a broader area and be willing to take Finasteride or Dutasteride. However, treatment and operation plans should always be individual.

Lastly, I kindly ask that please do not force the doctor's assistant with numerous detailed/picky, medical questions, as they are not doctors and the information they manage is simplified and may not be as technical as mine. They are trying to help doctors since we cannot respond to dozens of messages each day and give to the patients all the information in the best way possible. Anyone wishing to have these type of information can reach me by scheduling a video or in-person appointment to discuss technical subjects.

I apologize for any misunderstandings.

Regards,

*Edit: Grammar correction 

Edited by Dr. Ahmed Altan
  • Like 1

• Moderators

My first beard to scalp transplant was 9 years ago and I had chest to scalp 10 years ago, so I can tell you what they said about it falling out after a year is false. Mine is still growing.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.