About a failed hair transplant.

Hello everyone. I had a hair transplant 3 years ago the growth was very poor. About 10% of the transplanted hairs grew. I was supposed to supposed to get a repair next month but I canceled it temporarily because Whenever I touch my head the transplanted area is different. It feels like there are lots of bumps on it. So i started thinking this could be ingrown hair. When I had the transplant I did not wash my hair until the 18th day(I understand it was very neglectful from the "doctor" and from my part for not searching it up) he also made me wear a bandage on the transplanted area. I understand it was a terrible choice so no need to talk about it. Around the 5th and 6th months every day I believe about 3 times I used to feel something slightly piercing in my head which I'm sure that was the transplanted hairs trying to come out but they never would come out. I do believe possibly not removing the scabs is the reason the hair didn't come out. Obviously it's been three years. There are also white pigmentations all over the transplanted area. my questions would be

1- is there any way to remove the extra skin on my head?

2- if I'm able to remove it would the hair still be alive or would it be dead after being buried there for three years?

3-if I get another hair transplant could the extra skin/bumps on my head cause the transplant to fail? Thank you.

Edit: around the 5th month I noticed a transplanted hair that was not growing at all I kept checking on it for a couple of weeks and it was the only one not growing.  I decided to use tweezers and remove it and it started growing like all the other hairs. This is What got my attention at first and made me think of the possibility that the hairs might just be buried under the extra skin.

Edited by omarr83

• Administrators

Can you share some photos?

I was just an inch away from booking a a hairmill based on google reviews before i stumbled upon this goldmine of a forum. 

I’m a paid administrator for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive compensation from any clinic, and my comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Unfortunately it will not appear well in pics but if you zoom in you can see a lot of dots with white pigmentation. The red marks is because I scratch at it a bit. Also these white marks if I take a shower and just rub my head or slightly scratch them they come out and they're very soft. @Melvin- Admin

20241017_205815.jpg

20241017_210149.jpg